In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Canned Salmon

idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
edited July 2005 in General Discussion
I was wondering if anyone here is partial to canned salmon? My parents ate it when they were kids and fed it to me when I was a teenager. It grew on me because I'll eat almost anything that swims.

Dad would blend it with pickle relish and mayo (similar to tuna salad) and would spread it on toast with a little Dijon mustard on top. I dig it and I'm craving it.

Anyone else like canned salmon?

Comments

• Options
    BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    Mom used to make salmon patties when we were kids.

I liked it a lot,but I don't think I've had it since leaving home.[:(]

BW

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I wonder if you could mash it up like a hamburger pattie and make canned salmon hamburgers on the grill. Gotta be better than Spamburgers.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like it... ( some take the tiny bones out ) and remove the skin. Get you a bowl and put two eggs in along with some crackers or corn meal and mix it up. Patty them up and fry them in some oil. OR put the whole mix in a cassarole dish and bake for 30 min at 350degree. I like to put some salsa on top of it prior to baking
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    I like it, and my family loves it. I would rather eat canned than fresh, but it gives me terrible heartburn. Fried patties with eggs and craker crumbs, maybe a little onion and dill.

• Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,533 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can't stand it. Mom made it too.

However I do love sardines!

Regards,
    gadsden.jpg
  • Options
    BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    Yeah,drobs.

I'll get on a kick sometimes where I'll keep a stock of sardines and smoked baby oysters in my desk.

Also stock my deer blind with them.[:p]

BW

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
  • Options
    rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    We had canned Salmon casserole as a special supper
    when we were kids growing up in Maine
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I loved salmon salad sandwiches as mom used to call them...Still make them once in a while....

Also used to add it to pasta to make salmon pasta salad...you can add whatever you want to it, onions, radishes, peppers etc, and you can add some crab meat if you want along with mayo...its yummy....Used to do that with tuna too but prefer salmon..

cute_skunk.gif

Hudson.gif
    Lil' Stinker's Opinion
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had it.

Not as good as the fresh stuff (and by that I mean sushi).

Not as good as the nearly fresh stuff (ie usual broiled/poached/etc).

But better than going hungry or eating other dubious canned meat products!

quote:Originally posted by idsman75
    I wonder if you could mash it up like a hamburger pattie and make canned salmon hamburgers on the grill. Gotta be better than Spamburgers.

You bet you can.

Actually the Stop and Shop (thats a New England supermarket chain) right next to me occasionally sells ground salmon burgers they make in house for the chain for a few bucks each.

They're pretty much UNlike a conventional beef hamburger, but they're not bad at all on a bun with mustard, tomato, onion, etc.

Sushi%20-%20Nemo.jpg
  • Options
    hughbetchahughbetcha Member Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Canned salmon has already been cooked. I like to mix it up like tuna salad, mustard and mayo on a sandwich or with crackers. I condsider salmon salad to be a high class version of tuna salad, not to be wasted on children or those who dont appreciate.

I'm big on all kinds of canned stuff that's not traditionally canned including canned swiss steak, barbque pork and beef, canned lobster, crab. Check it out at the supermarket you can get every kind of meat in can including roast turky, filet mignon. It's great for camping or keeping on the shelf in case of an emergency.
  • Options
    The TinmanThe Tinman Member Posts: 928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All salmonids (Salmon, Trout & Grayling) carry Listeria monocytogenes and should be cooked. You are playing listeria roulette if you eat these fish raw.
  • Options
    HUNT WALKERSHUNT WALKERS Member Posts: 362 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    MMMMMMM!

Salmon patties,fried taters, and cream corn.
  • Options
    cletus85cletus85 Member Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't go for one of the bargain brands, my wife made some last year and tried to save a little $ [xx(][xx(]

Don't do it[;)]
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Flying Clay Disk
    BTS, I didn't think you were supposed to eat any fresh water fish as sushi unless it was cooked. (?) So, I assume you're referring to pacific salmon.

Idsman, salmon is cheap here most of the time. You can buy whole fish (sans the head and guts) for $1.99 a pound.

FCD,

Salmon "sushi" isn't authentic Japanese since they don't have salmon in Japan. But they do serve it at the local sushi joint (and most sushi places I've been to. . .its called "Sake") and it is my favorite.

I can't tell you what species it is, but I suspect they deep freeze it to kill off parasites. I know for a fact that all of the "sushi" served at my local supermarket, including the salmon is deep frozen:

http://www.biteofasia.com/Japan/Appetizers/App3-JPSalmonsushi.shtml

salmon_sushi.jpg
  • Options
    chunkstylechunkstyle Member Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I eat salmon salad, just the way your dad did, ids.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    ~Sinclair Lewis, It Can't Happen Here

"Our enemies...never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
    ~President George W. Bush
  • Options
    dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No canned salmon for me...Seems like a waste of good fish to me. I'm a little biased since I go fishing on Lake Michigan at least once a year and get true wild salmon fresh. My favorite is to grill it. The reason a lot of people do not like salmon is it is too easy to under or over cook. There is a VERY small window when it is just perfect! Took me a little trial and error, but now I got it to a science.
  • Options
    bikrprchrbikrprchr Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Love canned salmon. Likes Idsman said, mix it up with different dressings like tuna salad. Tastes great out of the can flaked over a salad, or mixed like tuna and eaten on crackers. Also like the fried patties, or quite often we get salmon burgers and cook them on the grill. As mentioned, it doesn't get any better.
  • Options
    agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    quote:Salmon "sushi" isn't authentic Japanese since they don't have salmon in Japan.

They have a very healthy and stable Chum Salmon population in Japan.

AlleninAlaska
    Delta Firearms & Supplies
    http://www.galleryofguns.com

aglore@gci.net
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Sushi is hardly raw fish any more than pickles are raw cucumbers.

Vinegar is used to preserve (or conserve) both of them and, amazingly, it has a sterilizing effect.

Delicious!

wings2.gif
    Stolen from, and with thanks, to Kiwibird
  • Options
    CJ7nvrstkCJ7nvrstk Member Posts: 678 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    KNASTY! Canned fish /meat is just plain wrong.

All that is required for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sure, it's not a salmon STEAK grilled to perfection but sometimes it's like having one of those cheap beer cravings. Sometimes it's just dang good. I like tuna salad sandwiches and I like tuna pasta salads. I never thought of using salmon.

Ya got me all hungry talking about the pasta salad bit BR!
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    put can salmon in a dish w/raw onions and cover w/vinagar. let sit in the frig for a couple of hours. good hot day meal.
  • Options
    andy12390andy12390 Member Posts: 486 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    put ur salmon or other fish/turkey and put it in a bowl, add a handfull of chopped cellerie, and some white pepper, and a little cellery salt. put in some mayo, and u got w/e salad u want [8D]

unfortunately i have experience in that buisnesss hahaa

Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer. - Don Corleone
  • Options
    oldgunneroldgunner Member Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use it as most people do tuna..for salads etc. It tastes much better, is just as healthy..