In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Lying or Not???

Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Company "A" (a well recognized name in the food industry) makes much to do about how they have held the line on price increases and are not only the best product, they are the best value. Premium ingredients, always fresh, great taste and same price for the last 3 years (or whatever).

What they don't say is that in each of the last 3 years they have decreased the amount that is in the package ...

Lying or not?

If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!

Comments

• He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,464 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does a bluebird **** in the woods?

He Dog
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just like politicians, skirting the truth.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:What they don't say is that in each of the last 3 years they have decreased the amount that is in the package ...

The amount is printed on the package-
    Forgot to add, Is this part of the "Fat Police" thing food corparations are doing by reducing the contents? Nabisco I think it was, not sure.

gun1.gif
    "If you aim at nothing,
    you will be sure to hit it"
    hsas371x48.gif
    Santa_Cruz.gif
    [img][/img]
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They don't seem to be lying, but rather deceptively hawking their product.

Son, did you break that window?

I was nowhere near it. Honest!

What were you doing?

Just shooting my slingshot.
  • Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When someone tells only a portion of the truth to cause you to believe something that really wasn't, it's considered deception. And someone who practices deception can't be trusted...just like someone who tells a bald-face lie.

Anything other than being completely "up front" with other folks is considered a lie.

So, yes. Company A lied.

My humble opinion,
    Rafter-S

P.S. Care to share who Company A is?

"What is truth? No wonder jesting Pilate turned away. The truth, it has a thousand faces -- show only one of them, and the whole truth flies away! But how to show the whole? That is the question."
    --Thomas Wolfe, "You Can't Go Home Again" (1934)
    edited November -1
    quote:What they don't say is that in each of the last 3 years they have decreased the amount that is in the package ...

When we buy ammo we see how much we get for our money, so why not product "A"?

Its federal law the amount has to be printed on the package- SOOOOOOO
    it would be the consumer that is buying the product. If I assume the amount of a product is going to remain the same and the company changes it, is it not the Responsibility of the Consumer to make sure you get what you pay for? [:)]

gun1.gif
    "If you aim at nothing,
    hsas371x48.gif
    Santa_Cruz.gif
    [img][/img]
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dishonest and misleading - absolutely, but not a lie. A lie is when you say something you know isn't true, they are saying something that is true, but only because they've done things to make it true... (clear as mud?)
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
    edited November -1
    Devious and misleading none the less.

gun1.gif
    "If you aim at nothing,
    hsas371x48.gif
    Santa_Cruz.gif
    [img][/img]
    edited November -1
    Quote: Dishonest and misleading - absolutely, but not a lie. A lie is when you say something you know isn't true, they are saying something that is true, but only because they've done things to make it true...(clear as mud?)

Getting technical with truth is a trap of the devil to try making something so when it really ain't so...kinda like debating the definition of the word, "is."

Rafter-S (who didn't clear the mud a bit)[;)]
  • Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,889 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do you remember how big the $2 box of Girl Scout Cookies was in the 70's ? GS cookies are still $2 but the box resembles a quantity you might get out of a vending machine.

avitar.jpg
    Semper Fi

Remember Ruby Ridge.

Experience is the best teacher and usually charges accordingly.
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Kinda like when the big ammo companies started putting out 40 round boxes of .22 ...Really bit**** us 'ol guys off...

40 rds printed in lillllllttttle letters...
  • stanmanstanman Member Posts: 3,052
    edited November -1
    When was the last time you saw a 3lb. can of coffee???
    They're down to 2 lbs. 2 1/2 oz. now.
    But hey,,, the price has stayed about the same, aside from temporary fluctuations.

The Bush administration sends tens of thousands of American military to protect the sovereignty of nations around the world, while trading our own sovereignty for hispanic votes!
  • cletus85cletus85 Member Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Like Oliver North said "I was furthering an alternate version of the facts."
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Should we declare a "shaningan"?
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Night StalkerNight Stalker Member Posts: 11,967
    edited November -1
    An ommission of facts by person "A" is just as deceptive as any lie you may be told by person "B". Neither is trustworthy....JMHO.

NSDQ!

"Many free countries have lost their liberty, and ours may lose hers; but if she shall, be it my proudest plume, not that I was the last to desert; but that I never deserted her." -President Abraham Lincoln
    edited November -1
    Quote: Like Oliver North said "I was furthering an alternate version of the facts."

Some people are gifted with the ability to organize (craft) facts and present them is such a way as to make the listener belive something to be true that is not. If that's not lying, then I don't know what is.

Rafter-S (who has dealt with that bullshi+ before)[:(!]

"What is truth? No wonder jesting Pilate turned away. The truth, it has a thousand faces -- show only one of them, and the whole truth flies away! But how to show the whole? That is the question."
    --Thomas Wolfe, "You Can't Go Home Again" (1934)
  • alledanalledan Member Posts: 19,541
    edited November -1
    L#$ders bagels was caught lying about the blueberry bagels they made. Apparently they used dried apple pieces colored and flavored to taste like blueberries.

There was a big investigation of products during the sixties that brought light to a lot of phoney products.

Gun_smokes.gif

Swanton.gif
  • lmfischerlmfischer Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's all in the marketing! As a consumer, I think you must take some responsibility for the purchases you make. There is no "standard" that I'm aware of as to how many cookies (or whatever) are in a box so it's up to you, the consumer, to assess the price-per-item and decide if you wish to purchase the product. Now, if a gas station started advertising gas for "99?" on their sign, but they really meant it was actually per half gallon, that would be misleading and wrong since the standard is per gallon. Do you remember a few years back when a leading manufacturer of .22 ammo starting selling "bricks" containing only 400 rounds? The box is the same size as a normal brick and about the same price but 100 rounds lighter. It even states 400 rounds right on the outside of the box! Same difference . In my humble opinion, when you're reaching for your wallet, be smart and compare products, like Contender Man has obviously done. Don't fall for the marketing trickery.

"No matter how good you are at something, there's always about a million people better than you." - Homer Simpson
  • oldgunneroldgunner Member Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check out what a "pound" of coffee weighs now..According to the packages, it's 13 ounces.

There are no bad guns, only bad people.