In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Tough...er..Duck

oldgunneroldgunner Member Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I never tried eatin' a wild duck(Mallard), but I gots one, gotta do sumptin' wid it..I gots him all cut up, in the process wearing out three-four knives and a perfectly good table saw..I count the rings around his toes, calklate he hatched aroun' spring 1954, like dat.

Got him boilin in a big pot, onliest way I know to make something like him chewable..I guess that do away with whatever nutrition he has to offer by next Thursday which is the time I figger he be tenderized. He makin' fine stock, but what I do with the rest? Can I make something edible outta the meat?

Anyone have any ideas, I listen. Gotta go now, big gun auction nearby. I check tonight, maybe eat him tomorrow.

There are no bad guns, only bad people.

Comments

• BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    I used duck for a stew once.Cut it up in bite-sized chunks and let it cook slow.Turned out great![:p][:p]

BW

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
  • bsallybsally Member Posts: 3,165
    edited November -1
    Yep, stew is about the only thing we do with em.

SALLY
    Committee member-Ducks Unlimited
  • jujujuju Member Posts: 6,321
    edited November -1
    heck, fix'em like in chinatown in San Francisco.

Pluck the feathers, remove the innards and feet and head.

Cover with an orange glaze (inside and out) and sloooooowy bake it till done, glazing often.

Then take a cleaver and chop into bite size peices.

JuJu(mighty tasty that way)
  • bigal125bigal125 Member Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm sorry, oldgunner, but I've just got to say it or I'll burst!

Your story just "quacks" me up!! [:D][:D][:D]

Big Al
  • 358 WINCHESTER358 WINCHESTER Member Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was told but haven't tried it that the best way to cook a duck was on an old oak plank.
    just put the duck on the plank put it in a roasting pan pour 2 cups each of brandy, rum, vodka, wiskey. rye. burbon, over the duck wait two to three hours drain the liquids off place pan in the oven for three hours at 400 degrees. while duck is cooking drink the drained liquids then eat the old oak plank. if you try it please let us know how the plank turns out.[;)]

Son if you didn't learn something today, you wasted the whole day. (Jasper N. Lee, my granddaddy)
  • SkyWatcherSkyWatcher Member Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    EASY FIX: Soak the (raw) meat in buttermilk for at least 24hrs before cooking. It's what most of the fancy restaurants who serve duck do.

To whom much is given, much is expected.
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    slow cook. serve rare. buttermilk soaked. good stuff.
  • outdoortexasoutdoortexas Member Posts: 4,780
    edited November -1
  • deerhntrdeerhntr Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Mom Boils them whole then Gets a nice crisp on them in the oven,
    Great Eating[;)] The best way to cook old Daffy IMO[;)]

use_deer.jpg96EB.jpg
  • oldgunneroldgunner Member Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I already boiled it a good bit yesterday, too late to try some of these, but they all sound good. I guess I'll go with the stew this time. Thanks!

Bigal..phhhhttttt..

• oldgunneroldgunner Member Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not bad guys..I had some for lunch, it was delicious. Nice country chow fer da country man..