In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

7.62x54R

robsgunsrobsguns Member Posts: 4,581 ✭✭
edited February 2002 in General Discussion
Loaded with a Hornady 150gr spitzer, this round should be able to handle up to elk size game, right?
What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Looking to take my mosin nagant out, but lacking ammo. Been checking past 2 months at my local Academy and Walmart with no luck. Any will do so long as it's not incendiary rounds.

Also any pictures describing what the symbols mean on the sardine cans will be grateful. Thanks.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Saw some at the gun show today, being sold by Winchester, guy said they've been out about 6 months. Also said that Sellier and Bellot is the manufacturer of them, but has a Winch. box. Winch. is stupid, they are selling these with a full metal jacket. The guy says S&B wouldnt make them in a hunting bullet for them, cause they didnt want Winch. undercutting them, and the box of Winch. is $3.00 cheaper than S&B hunting rounds. Now why am I going to buy FMJ bullets for a gun that should probably be used for hunting, when I can get bullets for $3.00 more made by the same company, and go hunting? Man, am I glad I reload, the industry just doesnt get it. Or, am I the only one who would take his Nagant hunting, and everyone who doesnt reload just shoots paper and people with theirs?
    SSgt Ryan E. Roberts, USMC
  • Options
    edited November -1
    How much should this ammo cost per round. I feel like I'm being ripped off when I buy this ammo. I buy some milsurp ammo from a guy at a gunshow every time I go, $5 for a box of 20, or I buy a bag of 100 for $25(different manufacturers). Is $0.40 per round a good price?
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    You got me. I don't hunt with them as here in OH, you can't use highpower rifle. I would't mind trying them hunting though. I don't handload this caliber right now though due to cheap surplus.Regarding FMJs and hunting- many deer have been taken with them in old surplus guns. But you need very good shot placement of course. Kudos to you that you are being "humane" to an animal you shoot by using proper bullets.
    "...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conference in 1899.
  • Options
    the loveable rat...the loveable rat... Member Posts: 969 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    here is a non tap scope mount...do you think it is a good idea? thx...by the way, jonk, i know there is some new russian mfg. soft points about as i've fired them... http://home.earthlink.net/~paralax1/darrellsscoutmountpage.htm
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I see it has 8 attaching points, and they use brass screws 'to protect the rifles finish', which tell me that when you take it back off, you probably will have damage to your finish anyway, rub long enough and the blue will be damaged. As far as the target goes, either that gun sucks for accuracy, or something is up with the scope, or mount, or both, cause that group is pretty poor, maybe its the ammo or shooter. I wouldnt buy it without first examining the way it attaches, and probably would only put it on a 39.00 gun, not mine.
    SSgt Ryan E. Roberts, USMC
  • Options
    the loveable rat...the loveable rat... Member Posts: 969 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    rob-thx for the reply...yeah, well i got a 39.00 gun that puts fliers out like crazy...i think...i'm usually offhand at 100 shooting at coke cans, so its probably me. i think i'll try that thing out some day and get a report back.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buddy has a m-44 so we used the winchester stuff after re-bulliting with sierra spitzers for his hunting load.The fmj's do make good plinking rounds (also cheaper for fireforming to other caliber)The local SG store around here only stocks 7.62x54 in winchester fmj and norma spBob