In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Sight adj. formula

olivegreenolivegreen Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
edited September 2008 in General Discussion
Can someone supply the math formula(for distance left or right) for moving the front sight on a firearm. I had it at one time but cannot locate it. It is a trigonomitry formula for solving a triangle with an unknown side. Thanks, O.G. Randle Texas

Comments

• Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,045 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like you are spending to much time thinking and not enough aiming.
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buschmaster
    if you want the point of aim to change 1 inch, you can't bust out a micrometer and measure how far to move the front sight.
    Could it be that he's wanting to correct a defective installation by drifting a sight in it's dovetail?
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    rifle?
    pistol?
    need more data.

but on pistol, one click = one bullet width @ 15yds.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    olivegreenolivegreen Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks to all, sarcasm included. Only one provided any useful info though, which is what I asked for. In response to one query: the revolver is a Colt's SAA. It has fixed sights and the only way to adjust is to turn the barrel one way or the other. At present it is shooting 6" to the left at 35'. I have to take it to a gunsmith to have the barrel turned or risk springing the frame. All I wanted was to give him some idea of how much to turn the barrel. If the amount needed is more than can be gained by tightening the barrel, it will have to be removed from the frame and the shoulder faced off. As you can see it could involve more than just a "guess".
    O. G. Randle
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    was your gun randsom rested when you calculated the distance its off at 35'?
    is there any noticable damage to the front site?
    are there factory alignment marks on frame?
    also needed will be high low calculations. as you turn your bbl, the tip of the blade will either rise or fall.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by olivegreen
    Thanks to all, sarcasm included. Only one provided any useful info though, which is what I asked for. In response to one query: the revolver is a Colt's SAA. It has fixed sights and the only way to adjust is to turn the barrel one way or the other. At present it is shooting 6" to the left at 35'. I have to take it to a gunsmith to have the barrel turned or risk springing the frame. All I wanted was to give him some idea of how much to turn the barrel. If the amount needed is more than can be gained by tightening the barrel, it will have to be removed from the frame and the shoulder faced off. As you can see it could involve more than just a "guess".
    O. G. Randle

I just had the exact same problem with a Cimmaron Revolver, it was 6" left at 15 yards, the gunsmith turned the barrel slightly, took it out and fired it, saw that it was still hitting a bit to the left and gave it a slight turn again...now it shoots right to point of aim. I don't know how much he had to turn the barrel, but it was not alot.
  • Options
    Spc FergusonSpc Ferguson Member Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by brier-49
    Sounds like you are spending to much time thinking and not enough aiming.

hooah
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To figure that you have to know The variables....A=(yardage of target) B=(velocity of projectile ,(Feet per second at a given yardage))C=( yardage...of projectile feet per second- (Modified)by D.. (gravity at givin altitude,+ barometric pressure, exterior temperature and barrel temperature)+E(The yardage Of targets speed)+-F=G(your lead on the target)

So (A + B)x(C(+-D))- E(+-F)=the your lead on the target, or G

does this give you an answer???

Edit...I forgot windage...Which we'll call F( speed and direction (modified))

Lat edit: Go to remington.com...They have a ballistics table that will figure your variables A thru F to give you G
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If your barrel is 5 1/2 " the distance between rear and front sights will be about 7 1/2 ". 35' gives you 420" for a ratio of 56 to 1.
    To move the p.o.i. 6" at 35 feet you'll need to move the front sight a bit over 1/10"
    That said, the suggestion to check impact with a Ranson rest is a good one. If you don't have access, at least have 1 or 2 other shooters verify point of impact at this distance.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Now, once you've calculated the movement needed, you'll need to convert " of rotation into degrees & minutes of rotation. Once that and the thread pitch are known, you can calculate the amount of material that needs to be removed/added to get the front sight properly indexed.