In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ok Guys ... What did I buy / how did I do?

kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭
edited March 2002 in General Discussion
I asked on the Experts side but thought I'd ask here as well since some dont venture into that relm!Old .22's aren't my forte' and it appears to be complete and well made piece, set me back $65 ... If its just an old gun worth $30 thats ok, but on the other hand if its a rare collector item (which I doubt) I dont want to strip and re-blue it either since it appears to be a delux model. I'm really fishing more for info on the company and its possiable age than anything. Its a .22 single shot, on the barrel it says "RANGER 22 S-L-LR M-34 Made in the USA", it has no serial number. It has a dove tail hooded frt peepsight and rear peep sight, also a second dovetail cut towards the back of the barrel with a block in it. The trigger guard is metal and there is a single thumb screw that holds the action in the stock. The bolt cocks on open, is chrome plated as is the trigger. The stock is in good condition with the exception of a fairly deep gouge in the wood left of the breach face, it seems to be made of walnut and has finger grooves along the barrel channel, it also has what seems to be a light (originally maybe white or cream colored) fiberlite or other early plastic pistolgrip cap and butt plate. The barrel and action is covered with a lite surface rust/pinta and chrome peeled from the bolt handle/knob, the bore is good with good rifling, fairly bright and not pitted.I did a search on the auction side for Ranger and it turned up one Sears Ranger single shot shotgun and doesn't have a picture, the seller is NR and hasn't responded to questions about it ... this one says nothing about Sears on it. So I'm wondering if this actually was made for Sears by Marlin or one of their other suppliers or is Ranger a now defunct company, or what?I know a picture says a thousand words so here's a couple: Thanks to all!kk
Here's a thought: Let's make criminals responsible for their crimes ... ...Not blame society and the tools they use!kimberkid@gunbroker.zzn.com [This message has been edited by kimberkid (edited 03-18-2002).]
If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.

Comments

• RUGERNUT3RUGERNUT3 Member Posts: 247 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    M = MARLIN ...m34 made by marlin...sears sold em...if barrel is ex. you may have a little tack driver from the 50's. VG w/right buyer could bring $150..better cond...maybe more. My little old 519 shoots the wings off flies at 50yds. (shame I cant!). Not real rare. Mosbg./Rem./Mar. all had some outstanding qauility in their .22's back then for sure. I totally redid my 519 Rem.a-z...."sure is purty"!.......*********************************DUH!!! make that a 514..duh..
    "ANY" EXCUSE IS A GOOD REASON TO BUY "JUST 1 MORE".& VICIE-VERSIE![This message has been edited by RUGERNUT3 (edited 03-18-2002).]
  • kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Update ... for anyone who cares!Well, I took it out to the range yesterday, on the way I stopped at a little gun shop that's been around for 60+ years and talked to Gene, the owner. He said these were made for Sears (as suspected) in the late 30's & early 40's by Springfield & Savage. He also said the butt-plate & grip cap were aftermarket (as suspected) and asked if he could remove the butt plate (of course I said O.K.) then low & behold was his mark! He didn't remember doing it (50+ years ago) but obviously had ...BTW ... The rear peep sight aperture is missing so for sighting I just used the base it screws into (Gene didn't have anything that would fit, Redfield aperture is too big), I'm not a great shot, but offhand at 50 yds had no problem hitting a 6" gong 8 out of 10 times with the ultra-cheap Remington "Golden Bullet" (550 rounds for $8.95 "Wal-marts everyday low price")... Now to find a small aperture, threaded 10-32 ... maybe a carburetor jet ... Numrich doesn't list it ...
    Here's a thought: Let's make criminals responsible for their crimes ... ...Not blame society and the tools they use!kimberkid@gunbroker.zzn.com
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check with your local bow shop as I remember there is a bow peep that uses inter-changable inserts, they might be the right size. Or get some 10-32x1/4 SHCS and drill them out to the size required.