In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Garden tiller/cultivator ???'s

SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
the mrs wants a garden tiller to make some more beds.
she asked about this electri troy built but i've never been a big fan of electric garden tools or mowers.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=139051-65481-TB154&lpage=none

so what's a good tiller for the garden? I'd like to keep it under $400 if possible.
thanks!
tom

Comments

• GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    I like our little gas powered troy built, It looks like the one you show in electric. They are little 4 stroke engines so you dont have to mix the gas, and they have changable tines so you can use it as an edger.
  • Survivalist86Survivalist86 Member Posts: 3,105
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tplumeri
    she asked about this electri troy built but i've never been a big fan of electric garden tools or mowers.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=139051-65481-TB154&lpage=none

so what's a good tiller for the garden? I'd like to keep it under $400 if possible.
    thanks!
    tom

Shovel, rake and some sweat is all you need. Cheaper then a tiller. TP....tell her I suggested it.
  • GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Survivalist86

thanks!
    tom

Shovel, rake and some sweat is all you need. Cheaper then a tiller. TP....tell her I suggested it.
    Yea, on second thought just buy her a bonnet!....[:D]
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Would love to see how a tiller with 8: diameter tines can till 8' deep. IMHO, that might work well for a flower bed. For turning up and tilling a garden- no. A rear tine tiller will do a better job, with less work on you. Would not try electric.

Presently use a 5 hp FRONT tine tiller (because I got it really cheap) and have one of the tiny little 2 stroke tillers (like the Mantis) It works well in a flowerbed, but not the garden.
  • SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    quote:I like our little gas powered troy built

I saw one for around $300, is that the one you have?
    local feed store has a Poulan for same price, but I don't know much about that brand either.

quote:Shovel, rake and some sweat is all you need

yeah, but the idea here is to avoid that cause it will turn into MY sweat!
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get her a good hoe and some absorbine junior.. Chop chop..[:0][:0]
    Tell her that HER money went out this morning for the ammo..[8D]
  • Survivalist86Survivalist86 Member Posts: 3,105
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by select-fire
    Get her a good hoe and some absorbine junior.. Chop chop..[:0][:0]
    Tell her that HER money went out this morning for the ammo..[8D]

You can sit on the porch drinking a mint julip in a white suit while making sure she does not miss a spot....may spice up your love life.

colonel_sanders.gif
    edited November -1
    quote:....may spice up your love life.

or put an end to it[B)][xx(]

quote: A rear tine tiller will do a better job, with less work on you.

last year her girlfriend came over with one of them Mantis tillers.
    it was so light that it just bounced around on the surface!
    seems like the rear tine would be easier to use.
    the key here is that SHE can use it. usually her "projects" mean more work for me!
  • iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    Looked at buying one for my 10x25' garden, decided to just rent one for the day from a local tool/lumber place. $30...
  • ljwrenchljwrench Member Posts: 5,053
    edited November -1
    I just bought a tiller attachment for my Troybuilt 4-stroke weedeater. I've used it a couple of times on small areas and so far I'm very happy with it. It will fit most of the weedeaters that have the detachable ends. It was $99 at Lowes.
    edited November -1
    renting one could be an option, but the mrs has big plans for gardens and flower beds, etc...
    in the long run it will probably be better to buy one.
    went back to the feed store and they had a 20" (width) tiller with a 6.5 hp briggs and stratton for $369. looks pretty solid and has "gear drive tines".
    the name on it is Earthquake, but it looks the same as a troy built.
    anyone know anything about this one?
    thanks
    tom
  • cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,568 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1. If you take 86's or select's advice, I suggest you tell her
    from quite a distance.

2. Forget the electric - especially if she has "big plans".

3. I used a 5hp front tine for 20 years and it worked fine. My
    garden is about 75' x 150'. The older I got the harder it was
    to handle. It was beating me to death. A rear tine is much
    easier to use. I totally wimped out and now have a 4' 3 point
    hitch tiller.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    renting one could be an option, but the mrs has big plans for gardens and flower beds, etc...
    in the long run it will probably be better to buy one.
    went back to the feed store and they had a 20" (width) tiller with a 6.5 hp briggs and stratton for $369. looks pretty solid and has "gear drive tines".
    the name on it is Earthquake, but it looks the same as a troy built.
    anyone know anything about this one?
    thanks
    tom

Earthquake is the equal to poulin brand products. Not expensive, but not built like a tank either.

IMO, since it will likely get used often, buy name brand. JD, Husky, Troy built, ect. If not, your investment isn't likely to last long.
  • fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,895 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One word. Honda. Mine is 20 years old. Front tine of course, has the handlebar that swings either side if you want to stay off the tilled area. Use it one handed most of the time.
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    6.5 amps @120v is ABOUT 1 horsepower.
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    REAR tine, front DRIVE wheels period, COUNTER ROTATING is better than forward rotating (fwd rot wants to climb out and run along the surface, counters want to dig down and require the wheels to pull them forward). CR tillers also do a better job of breaking up the soil.

Front tines on hard ground will make you sweat more than the shovel & rake will. They bounce more than a sugered-up 5yr old on a pogo stick, and if they do dig in they'll drag you along for the ride.