In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Cornelia Marie

slipgateslipgate Member Posts: 12,741
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
They sure had a lot of dead-loss! $12k worth! Also I didn't know Sig actually spoke Norwegian. My wife has a crush on Edgar.

Comments

• LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Long history behind the Hansen's.

He was the first of his Norwegian family to be born in the US. His parents only spoke Norwegian at home. And his father was the man who pioneered the art of catching Opilio crab. They are big time supporters of the Seahawks and the Mariners.

The more I learn about the clan the more interesting they get.
  • scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
    edited November -1
    My skipper bought our boat (the prowler) from the Hansen's, I was going to say what LES said. They are the real deal, first gen Norwegian fishing family....
    If I went back fishing, thats the boat I would most like to crew for (or Time Bandit). I would not want to fish on the Wizard or Cornilia Marie Wizard is too big and CM breaks too often
  • lee_danlee_dan Member Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Boys - Boys -Boys ---
    Sig and Edgar's Boat is the
    Northwestern ----

Lee
  • mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ...but they still made +$30,000 per crewman for the trip. I feel sorry for the crab that got dumped back dead though. couldn't they at least have done something useful with them like using them as bait or composting them or something?
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Deadliest Catch cast members. Their the fisherman and their boats.
  • lee_danlee_dan Member Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Crab fisherman ----

Dunce
    edited November -1
    deadliet catch is a discovery chanel reality show where camera crews are put aboard several boats in the fleet of Alaskan commercial crabbers.
    Because of the show, some members of the crews have become minor celebrities especially crewment from the Northwestern.
    The Northwestern is the undisputed highliner of the fleet and it is owned by Sig Hansen along with his brothers Edgar and Norm. The boat is beautiful (since becomming a star in it's own right, it was never that nice before the show started) and the crew has some real characters.
    I Know Nick Mavar (went to school with him and my son has worked on his gillnet boat), and Matt Bradley...
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yep, northwestern or time bandit for me too.
    edited November -1
    You should have seen the Prowler, when My skipper bought it from Ol' man hansen. it was battleship grey and rusty, every square inch of the boat was a mess. we rebuilt one of the mains and one of the 750KW gen sets, replaced 90% of the hydrolic hoses, half the pumps. fixed the galley and put in all new appliances. had the whole boat blasted to bare metal and repainted it a beautiful black and silver (looks like time bamdit or the Maverick) what a boat though, it kept us safe in some really nasty seas and never broke down. We had some refrigeration problems the first year but once we worked through those the boat was flawless.
    My skipper bought that boat for 600 K in 1984(it cost over 2 million to build it in 78) the King Crab were virtually fished out and the Prowler had been reduced to potting cod (hansen still does that with the Northwestern)and doing tender duty. Oh yeah, I remember pulling rotten herring out from the decking as we were cleaning it up. Now the Prowler is worth millions as a long liner for a halibut and black cod.
  • Allison9Allison9 Member Posts: 388 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you got any idea what the Northwestern or time bandit is worth? Just curious.
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,645 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The thing I never understood about them painting their boats dark or pale. Being out in a vast amount of water I would paint it Blaze Orange or that Chartruce (SP?). In case I need help I want the boat to be seen miles out.

As for the dead loss there is a fish food company out in Alaska "Omega Something". They use salmon, crab and whatever else they can get in to them. I wonder if they buy them and use them in their product.
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Their is nothing on earth stinkier than a dead crab!
  • hk-91hk-91 Member Posts: 10,050
    edited November -1
    damn. gotta quit posting on here when drinking.
  • bartobarto Member Posts: 4,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If any of you LIKE a rough ride, then the Time Bandit is the boat to be on.
    The bottom of that boat is as flat as a fritter, bulbous bow or not.
    REALLY get slapped around when not tanked down.
    Personally I'll take a V-bottom like the Northwestern any day. Having an external keel is a plus, also. Which the Time Bandit does not have.
    Gotta wonder how old some of those boats are, especially the Wizard.
    The Time Bandit has to be over 25 years old.
    [8D]barto[8D]
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Flying Clay Disk

edit: when you watch the show the boats seem pretty big, but up close they're a lot smaller than they look on TV.

Having been on, and stood above, 500-700ft lake freighters, those boats ALL look to small for my momma's son to be on in rough water.