In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Hydrogen Cars!

sundvlaa15sundvlaa15 Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Just when GM, LET'S KICK THEM WHERE IT HURTS, developes a viable
Hydrogen Car OB pulls the Funding for the developement and infrastructure to support it![:(!]

Could the fact that GE OWNS HIM have anything to do with it?

Comments

• LaidbackDanLaidbackDan Member Posts: 13,142 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wont drive a car that makes my voice sound high and squeaky like a cartoon character when I drive it.
  • Survivalist86Survivalist86 Member Posts: 3,105
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by LaidbackDan
    I wont drive a car that makes my voice sound high and squeaky like a cartoon character when I drive it.

I am not sure I want to drive a car with a tank of hydrogen strapped to it. Remember reading about the Hindenburg?
  • BeeramidBeeramid Member Posts: 7,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Survivalist86

I am not sure I want to drive a car with a tank of hydrogen strapped to it. Remember reading about the Hindenburg?

Yeah, gasoline is harmless.
  • KSUmarksmanKSUmarksman Member Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hydrogen is most commonly made by splitting water, via electric current...so unless we make a serious investment into nuclear and "green" power, we are just swapping oil for coal...and probably at lower efficiency given the loss of power through transmission lines [:(]
  • Survivalist86Survivalist86 Member Posts: 3,105
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Beeramid
    quote:Originally posted by Survivalist86

Yeah, gasoline is harmless.

Whole lot more stable then Hydrogen. Gasoline generally will burn. Hydrogen explodes. Kind of think of Gasoline as smokeless powder, and Hydrogen as Black Powder.
  • H.S. 10-XH.S. 10-X Member Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

That's helium man! Like what they put in balloons!!
  • moonshinemoonshine Member Posts: 8,471
    edited November -1
    quote:Hydrogen Cars!

Go BOOM
  • LaidbackDanLaidbackDan Member Posts: 13,142 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by H.S. 10-X

That's helium man! Like what they put in balloons!!
    Alas, please forgive may diminutive gaff as I did not have my periodical chart present when I posted, it will not happen again.
  • calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
    edited November -1
    I met a guy with a hydrogen car. Never had any problems with it. Never talked to him about the possibility of a crash though. It doesn't seem right that they would work so hard on something that is a bomb on wheels though.
  • slipgateslipgate Member Posts: 12,741
    edited November -1
    Hydrogen vehicles were rightfully shelved. There is NO WAY that technology will EVER be feasible on a large scale. It is not a total waste of money, as the research is good, but it would never lead to anything sustainable.

BTW: The hydrogen "gas stations" run on solar power and have 0 emissions.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by slipgate
    Hydrogen vehicles were rightfully shelved. There is NO WAY that technology will EVER be feasible on a large scale. It is not a total waste of money, as the research is good, but it would never lead to anything sustainable.

How do you figure they were "shelved"? In California, they are still working on them. The guy that I met driving that had one said that they are projecting 10 years out (that was a year ago, although it may be a constant "10 years out").
  • slipgateslipgate Member Posts: 12,741
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by callcameron

How do you figure they were "shelved"? In California, they are still working on them. The guy that I met driving that had one said that they are projecting 10 years out (that was a year ago, although it may be a constant "10 years out").

I was referring to the OP's post.

And whether Hydrogen fans are still working on the technology or not is immaterial, the technology has no future for mass transportation.

They are still working on solar power too, that will also not have any viable mass-use future.

Point is research all you want, but these technologies are not viable and probably never will be.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by callcameron

I was referring to the OP's post.

And whether Hydrogen fans are still working on the technology or not is immaterial, the technology has no future for mass transportation.

They are still working on solar power too, that will also not have any viable mass-use future.

Point is research all you want, but these technologies are not viable and probably never will be.

I agree with you. Although, VW is still sinking a lot of money into it. The guy that I met was a chemist/engineer or something. He was basically the foreman of the shop here in California that is working on the hydrogen fuel cell vehicles. The car that he was allowed to drive as much as he wanted cost about $1,000,000 because most pieces were custom built.

He had it parked in a driveway when a cop asked him what it was. When he explained it, the cop asked why he didn't have it in the garage. He said that the security on it is so high, that if it moves at an abnormal time, the office in Germany would be calling his cell phone to see if he is in it. They could track it real time just like onstar.
  • Aspen79seAspen79se Member Posts: 4,707
    edited November -1
    The only companies I'm aware of with viable hydrogen powered cars are BMW and Honda. Toyota might have one, and so might VW and MB. Got a link to your claim? Plus, GM doesn't have the resources to justify a hydrogen powered car. They can't pay their bills, so why spend money on something that's not production ready for another 10yrs?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Aspen79se
    The only companies I'm aware of with viable hydrogen powered cars are BMW and Honda. Toyota might have one, and so might VW and MB. Got a link to your claim? Plus, GM doesn't have the resources to justify a hydrogen powered car. They can't pay their bills, so why spend money on something that's not production ready for another 10yrs?

A link to my claim that the guy was driving a million dollar VW? No. I don't really think that they consider it to be "viable" at that price though. Especially without the infrastructure to allow you to go any considerable distance. In West Sacramento, there is a row of buildings called the "Fuel Cell Partnership." It is where many auto manufactures are all working to make hydrogen viable. They sure some information between them but still keep certain things secret.

California Fuel cell partnership Click on "About Us" and you will see VW. Substantiated enough for you?
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by KSUmarksman
    hydrogen is most commonly made by splitting water, via electric current...so unless we make a serious investment into nuclear and "green" power, we are just swapping oil for coal...and probably at lower efficiency given the loss of power through transmission lines [:(]

Ummm electrolis may be the most common way of making it in your HS science class, but industrial quanity H2 is made by breaking down natural gas. I only know of 2 plants east of the rockies (there may be one in TX also), the one in NOLA and one in Onterio CANADA (and the Canadian one was down for maintenance when Katernia hit)