In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Icon strikes gold - rounds identified

IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Tailgunner, the top is based on no existing round although at a quick glance, it has strong resemblence to the .30-06

Top: .32-70 US Navy RIMLESS. . . this round had a BP designation, but the original specs envisioned a smokeless load with the BP as a fallback position. The Navy did all the loading, BTW. Except for the first trial, with 70gr of BP, all trials were conducted with the modern propellant. It was intended to be used in the Navy Gatlings and there were two rimmed design types with that in mind. One was the .32-70, the other essentially a necked-up .30 Krag which was never produced. Only 2,000 of the rimmed cases were supplied to the Navy for trials. Toward the end of the trials, an unknown, but very small quantity, of the rimless case design were also delivered. More than five, but less than 25, specimens are known to exist. Gold, indeed! [^][^][^][:D][^][^][^]

Middle: 7.65 Argentine Mauser . . . a special contract loading by Winchester for the Argentine Navy Match of 1914, with the special headstamp seen. There are enough of these around (I'd guess a few hundred) that they show up at auction from time to time.

Bottom: 11mm Brazilian Comblain loaded by Winchester. Again, perhaps a few hundred specimens out there.

======================
Went to my first gun show in over nine months today. That back really messed things up! But what a way to come back. Picked up several boxes of 9.4 Dutch revolver for peanuts - individual rounds alone are macadamias. That was the first table. The fifth, the guy had several Tupperware boxes full of individual rounds he'd bought from an estate. Quoted a scary price, but he had a list. I did the rest of the show (200 tables, little ammo) without finding anything and repaired to a cafe with his list and my special reference. Seven pages of specimens and after I assigned values, I noted that a median retail price on the first page alone (before I got to the real goodies!!) covered his asking price. Told my buddy, "John, I need to buy some ammo!" Now, out of roughly 2,000 rounds, I'm keeping only one, but sold at auction the rest will pay my investment 5-8 times over. In addition to the known items, including some true rarities, I've found at least two which, until today, I didn't know to exist . . . never seen them offered for sale, at least by not ones loaded by Winchester. And what group of people in the universe of shooting sport collectibles demonstrates possession of the most rabid desires, most bucks and least sense? GLOAT, GLOAT. I don't know whether to be happy because there was only one goody here for me, or sad. But, hey, it's one of those dilemmas one needs to have, you know? Besides, the guy has even more military and foreign ammo from the same source he's bringing to a different show in two weeks for me to examine. [:D][^]

So, in the spirit of the past ammo quizes, here are some examples of what I brought home this afternoon. All of these are three figure items, BTW . . . .

While this may look like a POS empty case (and indeed it appears to have been fired before it was sectioned, which is not at all surprising), this item is an incredibly rare military experimental from 1892. Only 2,000 cases were made of the rimmed version for trials (the military loaded these themselves), a far less (but quantity unknown) of the rimless were produced. I've been looking for the rimmed version for 35 years and have seen only one, shockingly out of my price range, but check the head on this one!!!!!! If you name it, you really know your "stuff!" This is the one I'm keeping - complete with a sugar-eating grin on my face! Kind of like coming up with a single digit S/N Colt in a rare configuration, for you gun collectors.

003GBmys.jpg

This one is well known in collecting circles and rare. I included the headstamp so you could have a chance in the identification. This is *NOT* a .30-06!

002GBmys.jpg

Lastly, this is a very scarce caliber in its own right; I've only seen two offered for sale in the last five years. However, this particular specimen sports a W.R.A.Co. headstamp . . . none of my references show it as being loaded by anyone but the arsenals of the country which used it, although admittedly these are not definitive on foreign calibers and commecial loadings. A sample or preliminary contract of some sort? Don't know, but I'm sure there's some guy out there who wants it a whole lot more than I do!

001GBmys.jpg

I don't expect anyone to truly ID these from the pix alone (I did - (patting self on back [^])), but if you should, my hat's off to you and why aren't you in the IAA???

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the French." (Mark Twain)

Comments

• beachmaster73beachmaster73 Member Posts: 3,011 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Teak, my congratulations on your super luck and good fortune. It's because you know your feces that you can pull this stuff off. Beach
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A quick guess at number one. The .276 experimental round the brits were working on when WWI broke out. The date would put it in the right era.

Woods

Hamlin.gif
  • jjmitchell60jjmitchell60 Member Posts: 3,887
    edited November -1
    Sounds as though you had an excellent day Teak. I have no idea as to what any are so I will not even try to guess!

"we are but men... no more, no less..."
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    Glad to hear of your good fortune Teak. I won't even hazzard a guess at the rounds shown. If I ever found something like that I'd probably figure a way to shoot it.[:D]

Big Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Couple of wild guesses
    276 Enfield
    11x50R Belgian Albini

Whittemore
    Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.
  • interstatepawnllcinterstatepawnllc Member Posts: 9,390
    edited November -1
    I take it that Icono's real name is "Teak"?

JC

Ted Kennedy's breath has killed more people than my car.
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks, Beach (and others). Y, it is gratifying to be able to take advantage of one's knowledge to add particularly choice specimens, of whatever category, to one's collection.

Tailgunner, woods - no, this preceded the experimental .276 rounds by more than a decade; also it is a US experimental, not British. Interesting to note, the experiments on this round were conducted in the year we first adopted the Krag, but obviously it is not that one.

Tailgunner, this *is* an 11mm round . . . but not the Albini (good idea, though!)

SP, the early 7x57 could be of value or it could be garbage. Depends very much on the headstamp and condition. When you find it, let me know & I'll tell you what you have.

interstate Dude, why would you think such a thing?? [;)]

Incidentally, on that first round, talking to my collector pals, less than 25 rounds known to exist, value between $500 & $1K, third one slightly more common, value $2-600. These are real values; the collectible ammo market is thin and incredibly quirky.

• rpo242rpo242 Member Posts: 570 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do I ramember right, about the US tinkering with a 28 or 29 caliber
    at one time?[?][?]

You can't miss fast enough.
  • groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
    edited November -1
    Teak, CONGRATS on getting back up and out!!! I don't have a clue on the rounds BUT I want everyone here that reloads to take a look at the sectioned case! Notice the burrs where the flash hole was punched! A very good illustration of why you should purchase a "Flash Hole Deburring Tool" and use it on your brass when you aquire it! Most all brass used by most folks has the flash holes "punched" which more times than not leaves the little peice of brass on the inside of the case. Lapua and Norma brass is drilled so you very rarely have a problem with it. REmoving the "chad" if you will, gives a more uniform ignition! GHD
    edited November -1
    rpo242, very astute - yes, the military worked with a slew of design proposals in calibers 6mm through .30, most especially in the .25 - .28 range, over a period of roughly 1909 to 1937.

This one, however predates that period by about a decade and was a pure USN project.

edited November -1
    6mm Lee Navy? or a experamental baised on that case? The 1914 head stamp is whats throwing me.

BTW, I know it's not your speciality, but I contacted a wildcatter about some of the cartridges he's developed IE samples/dummies. If anyones intrested in having one I'm tring to get pricing from him. The outside 2 are the 458 Hubel express (450gr @ 3000fps), the center one is the 458Win
    feb04-01.jpg

Whittemore
    edited November -1
    ooooh, just discovered the amateur selling this stuff had designated another of the rare US experimentals as a .30-06 in his list. I'd allowed $0.00 for it in making the buy. Another sweet goody for the cabinet, and man, do I love the price!

edited November -1
    Sounds like you had better make yet another trip thru his pile, there might be even more gooddies in there[:D]

Whittemore