In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Scope base question

FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I should know this, but what is the advantage of adjustable scope bases? or a 1 piece scope base with a 20 minute frontal offset?

Logic tells me its for say, if your scope runs out of adjustment?

True, Y/N [:)]
Thanks in advance

gun.gif
"Those who live by the sword get shot
by those who don't." [:D]
[img][/img]Santa_Cruz.gif

Comments

• FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have a tikka 693. is that close enough to the t3 that i can use the t3 bases on my 693

i have the tapered/dovetail reciever that is drilled and tapped as well
  • SnellstromSnellstrom Member Posts: 1,085 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm out of the loop on the 20 minute frontal offset. But what I do know is that some scopes, even real good ones don't have enough windage adjustment, that's where those Redfield, Leupold and the like with the windage screws on the rear come in handy.
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes. Without the offset, your only other option is to shim the rings. Not really a good idea, but it works on the cheaper rigs.
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    As stated above the rear windage screws are to get you scope as centered as possiable (L-R) before fine tuning with the scopes windage adjustments.
    From it's name, I'd think the 20MOA "frontal offset" is intended to tip the front of the scope down by 20" @ 100yd (causing the rifle to shoot high), inorder to give enough UP elevation for long distance (750-1000yd) shooting. See also "long range bases", "tapered bases", etc. Not for your average shooter.

Whittemore
    Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Tailgunner1954
    As stated above the rear windage screws are to get you scope as centered as possiable (L-R) before fine tuning with the scopes windage adjustments.
    From it's name, I'd think the 20MOA "frontal offset" is intended to tip the front of the scope down by 20" @ 100yd (causing the rifle to shoot high), inorder to give enough UP elevation for long distance (750-1000yd) shooting. See also "long range bases", "tapered bases", etc. Not for your average shooter.

[

Thanks Tailgunner- That is what I had just found some info on, I am going to be setting up a "poor mans" bench gun (Remington 40xbr) with an NXS scope. I have been looking at a bazillion Rings and bases just to make sure that I can run this rifle to its full potential.
    Thanks for the info. [:)]

gun.gif
    "Those who live by the sword get shot
    by those who don't." [:D]
    [img][/img]Santa_Cruz.gif
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Happy to be of assistance Franc

Whittemore
    Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.