In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Big horn sheep

briguybriguy Member Posts: 459 ✭✭✭
edited September 2017 in General Discussion
I am in an argument with a buddy. He has a ewe sheep tag. My caliber of choice would be .270 & his is .308. But that's not our argument.
We were joking about using a .223. One of us say it will kill a ewe with a good heart or lung shot, the other is saying it won't kill it says it won't penetrate enough. Who is right?

Comments

• Options
    AzAfshinAzAfshin Member Posts: 2,986 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depends on range, angle and size of the sheep. Under ideal conditions, it should be able to penetrate far enough.
  • Options
    kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Use the right bullet and it would probably get the job done. Personally I would use one of the other mentioned cartridges though.
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depends on bullet choice, many 223 factory loadings are varmit loads meaning the bullets are light construction and will come apart in a violent manner. Research the ammo and bullet construction, too many people only look at the caliber and pass judgement.
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Years ago I hunted with a bolt action rifle in .223. I just used what ever the hardware store had in stock. However the largest thing I shot with it was coyotes, it worked well.

By son gave me an AR15 a couple of years ago. I figured since I have it, (and can't get rid of it as it's a gift), I may as well be able to kill something with it if I take a notion. To that end I bought some Federal ammo loaded with 60gr Nosler Partition bullets. I would think those will take whatever a .223 needs to be taking.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******
    edited November -1
    Oh please. The sheep could be put down with a 22LR.

I'd like to go back into history and kick the piss out of folks that started to propagate the bigger is better nonsense.

With that said, I do not for one second believe that it is an ideal caliber for hunting sheep, but let's get real. Any hit to the vitals is going to put the animal down, especially with ball or similar ammo.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    Rocky4windsRocky4winds Member Posts: 760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Would it make a difference if you thought you could get a shot at around 100-150 yards vs having to likely take a shot around 300-400 yards?
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocky4winds
    Would it make a difference if you thought you could get a shot at around 100-150 yards vs having to likely take a shot around 300-400 yards?

Makes a major difference. Pushing a bullet past it's weight and design class limits there isn't enough energy left for penetration or expansion.
    The total extreme opposite can also pose problems. To close and to fast and a bullet can fail to perform properly.
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,480 ******
    edited November -1
    Shot placement at a close range (within 150 yards) makes all the difference with that smaller caliber. The real key for the true sportsman is to take your game without undue suffering of that game.
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Up in the Pecos Wilderness, the sheep come to you, looking for cheese crackers.
    You could use a ballpeen hammer.
  • Options
    35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Friend of mine dumped a ram with a .223 a few years ago. Heart shot, with a 60gr Nosler Partition, at around 100 yards. Dropped like a rock.
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,771 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect
    Oh please. The sheep could be put down with a 22LR.

I'd like to go back into history and kick the piss out of folks that started to propagate the bigger is better nonsense.

With that said, I do not for one second believe that it is an ideal caliber for hunting sheep, but let's get real. Any hit to the vitals is going to put the animal down, especially with ball or similar ammo.

^^^^^^^What he said^^^^^^^^
    Use the .270.
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by GreatGuns
    200-225 yards, piece of cake. With iron sights even. The .223 has always been a good round for game animals and slant-eyed animals alike. Too heavy a projectile or too short a barrel and it will tumble. Nothing like that sound of a round slapping it's target full profile, not to mention the meat grinder effect it creates. That's why I've always done head shots. [:)]

I know a few people that have shot deer with the their jaw or nose blown off that some other unethical Hunter shot trying to make a headshot. They must have been cleaning up your mess

All iy takes is for the deer to move his head just a little bit as you squeeze the trigger off to send the poor animal out to die of starvation
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't think that I would take the risk of loosing one of these animals by using a 223 go with the 270 or 308
    cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,010 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    White Mountains Arizona a fishing partner hooked one with a dry fly.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:White Mountains Arizona a fishing partner hooked one with a dry fly.

animated-laughing-image-0175.gif

Best.