In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Roadblock for Tom Daschle?

pikeal1pikeal1 Member Posts: 2,707
edited February 2002 in General Discussion
SIOUX FALLS, S.D. - South Dakota Gov. Bill Janklow has said he will sign a bill passed by the state legislature that would prohibit candidates from running for president at the same time they run for another office.The bill, passed in the Republican-led House and Senate, is a direct slap in the face of Senate Majority Leader Tom Daschle, who has suggested that he will run for president in 2004.Janklow said he has no quarrel with Daschle, but elected officials shouldn't be allowed to run for office and then pick the post they want to fill.Many Democrats opposed the bill, saying it was an obvious ploy to limit Daschle's choices. Friday, Daschle downplayed a newspaper report that he is planning a run for president in 2004, the same year that he will be up for re-election in the Senate.Daschle said that a run for the White House is one of the three options. He may seek re-election for the Senate or he may retire from public life, he said."I need to think about, not that I am thinking about it, but ... I intend to think about," he said. Later Friday, he released another statement saying that he will not make any decisions on his future until after the midterm elections in November. Many see his role as the highest ranking Democrat in the nation as a good jumping-off point for a presidential campaign, but if the bill becomes law, Daschle will be forced to choose between a re-election bid or a run for president. Daschle was in Sioux Falls Friday, stumping for Sen. Tim Johnson, D-S.D., who is seeking re-election. Johnson is facing a tough re-election fight against Rep. John Thune, whom Republicans are strongly backing in order to embarrass Daschle._____________________________________________This just seems like common sense to me.

Comments