In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

30-06vs 308

jastrjastr Member Posts: 463 ✭✭✭
edited February 2002 in General Discussion
What is the difference between these 2 cartriges........which has a higher muzzle velocity...longer effective range ect??
lets all be responsible! shoot a criminal!

Comments

• Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I prefer the 'o6 over the .308 any day. The'06 is far more flexible and accurate at long range shooting. That is my opinion and not fact. The velocities are close to one another with each one having it's advantages and disadvantages. I would still take the '06. there is a reason it is claimed to be the most popular and favorite cartridge out there. To me the .308 is nothing more than a hot rodded 30-30. get the '06
  • Options
    gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    The 06 will move a heavier bullet the greatest distance. For all around shooting ie match/hunting in North America they are pretty much matched up. It is still bullet placement not bigger is better.
  • Options
    steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 30-06 has all the velocity and energy advantages. The 308 advantages are it can be used in a short action rifle and is in my opinion a better feeding cartridge for a semi-auto. You can still get surpluss 308 ammo at very good prices while 30-06 is getting scarce. Best way to go is to own both.
  • Options
    whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When the caliber is the same, compare case capacities. The larger case the more powder can be made availible for combustion. There is a point of diminishing return but it is not reached in an '06 case. The 30/06 will outperform the 308.Clouder..
  • Options
    jetjet Member Posts: 543 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've heard that the 308 is potentialy more accurate due to the powder charge dimentions being more square(diameter vs length)this is suposed to cause more consistant burn time therefore better velocity consistancy.
  • Options
    robsgunsrobsguns Member Posts: 4,581 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is an age old argument, that is, which one should I buy, right? If you're hunting nothing bigger than deer, get the .308. If you are going to, maybe, go after something bigger than deer, go for the 30-06.If you're asking for differences, and that is all, you've already got the answers from the previous posts, this is one of about a million opinions you'll get, all different. Good luck deciding, I bought both.
    SSgt Ryan E. Roberts, USMC
  • Options
    smokinggunsmokinggun Member Posts: 590 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 30-06 is about 200 fps faster(approx. 2900 fps w/165gr bullet) than 308 (2700 fps w/same bullet). The 308 is a little more accurate. I agree with most of what has been said except 7mm Nut, the 308 is a whole lot more than a hopped up 30-30.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks for the tips.......
  • Options
    TLynnTLynn Member Posts: 353 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Personally the 30-06 out performs the .308. Probably why I don't own the .308 anymore but have the 30-06.However, they are both good weapons.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Both are excellant and both will drop a Bull Elephant if you hit him right, but I also prefer the 06.
    "...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conference in 1899.
  • Options
    DENWADENWA Member Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't get me wrong the '06 WAS a great cartridge.But with hand loading of powders you'll see the 308 will do anything the '06 will do.308 has a Single caliber case neck, it allows uniform neck tension and its shorter.Go to USMC sniper school, 308 WILL reach 1000 meters and get you.Go to Bench rest shoot outs-- You WILL NOT SEE any 30-06, but alot of 308.In Africa the natives only use 308 to kill everything from Zebras to Elephants (NATO).308 available world wide while 30-06 is only popular in the US.Factory loaded 308 is more accurate than 30-06. I could got on and on but... I have both rifles. Either will do the job for anything in north america. Its all about shot placement. And when it comes to that My moneys on the 308.NOTE: all above statements are certified FACTS by the DENWA research institute.
  • Options
    Shootist3006Shootist3006 Member Posts: 4,171
    edited November -1
    The .308 WILL NOT do everything that the 30-06 will. The .308 was developed as a sort of 'poor means's' 30-06 because the European members of NATO couldn't handle a full 30-06 load. At 1000 yards, both are very accurate, if you are punching paper, the .308 is adequate and maybe the better choice (less cost for powder - albeit not much less but it all adds up); however, if you target is more robust than paper, stay with the 30-06. The better ballistics (MV and bullet weight/sectional density/BC) provides more power at extended ranges. USMC snipers started using the .308 in Vietnam, not because it was better but because ammo was readily available.P.S. Any truth to the rumor that the GAC (Guns and Ammo Cops) are looking into possible violations at the Denwa Research Institute?
    Quod principi placuit legis habet vigorem.Semper Fidelis[This message has been edited by Shootist3006 (edited 02-16-2002).]
  • Options
    RUGERNUT3RUGERNUT3 Member Posts: 247 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 06. I dont reload, TONS more off the shelf loads to choose from than the 308. Dont hunt around the world, if I did...I would carry my ammo with me as to assure I had what I wanted..would not care to chase down ANY pet load of mine in some backwoods area of any country...or pay the $.elephants have been greatly over hunted here in Texas..and in Co.,cant remember when I saw one last......the .308 is a great round...and I may run across a firearm chambered for that round...that I can not live w/out..till then, my 06 will work as it always has...just fine.
    "ANY" EXCUSE IS A GOOD REASON TO BUY "JUST 1 MORE".& VICIE-VERSIE!
  • Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    I agree the 30.06 is the superior cartridge. I also agree the shorter .308 is a better feeding cartridge in semi auto's. But strangely enough, the .308 pressures are much higher than the 30.06. I would have thought it the other way around. One more advantage to the 30.06 if it can produce superior ballistics at lower pressures.
    Save, research, then buy the best.Join the NRA, NOW!Teach them young, teach them safe, teach them forever, but most of all, teach them to VOTE!
  • Options
    218Beekeep218Beekeep Member Posts: 3,033
    edited November -1
    Did somebody say somethin` about DANWA?...Any relation to DENWA?Hey DENWA,it was cool meetin` ya the other day!Could we change this to 30-06 VS 308 VS .218 ?.218
  • Options
    edited November -1
    beekeep you need too get off this whole .218 thing.... Not for you too take this wrong but is that the only gun you own? I have seen pellet guns do worse damage
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't bash da Bee. heh heh heh....I think I have found that caliber that my gun cabinet is missing. The caliber is .30-06 spr. What is the general consensus on the Remington 7600? I thought it would be interesting to own a pump rifle. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sombody said somethin` hurtful about bees. .218
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Actually I have rifles chambered in 30-06 and 308,and feel that I have the answer to your first question.The answer is: ~length~...ya see,one is a little longer than the other..218
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Is length more important than girth?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    what good is length without girth....
  • Options
    .280 freak.280 freak Member Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You guys seem to be going to some lengths for a little mirth.Sorry, best I could do!
  • Options
    robsgunsrobsguns Member Posts: 4,581 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Idsman75,I use to own a Remington 7600 in 30-06, and it was a beauty to shoot, accurate as could be, 1 1/4 moa on a bad day with factory, 1 moa on a good day with factory ammo, and better with handloads. It was dumb to get rid of it, get one, you'll like it.
    SSgt Ryan E. Roberts, USMC
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Which is better, a Maserati or a Ferrari? These are both *great* cartridges and it really comes down to the application. Going to hunt something a little bigger than the typical deer? '06 w/ a 220gr bullet. Want a choice of wide variety of semi-auto actions? .308. You would be hard put to do wrong w/ either. Both, IMO, are the best GP cartridges ever. I've had both, shot both, like both. I prefer the '06, but objectively I think that is because of (a) it's place in military history & (b) the plethora of exotic loadings that fill my cartridge collection.
  • Options
    simonbssimonbs Member Posts: 994
    edited November -1
    M1-Garand.DENWA, Beach will have to confirm, but I think the .30-06' is used in CMP matches with open sigts out to 1,000 yards.
  • Options
    DENWADENWA Member Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shooter get a Chrony, my 308 with 24" barrel will shoot 168HPBT sierras at 2792fps (ave) and My 30-06 also with 24" barrel pushes the same bullets less than 50 fps faster( and uses like 25% more powder). No one ever claimed the 30'06 to be "ONE OF THE MOST INHERENTLY ACCURATE CARTRIDGES EVER PRODUCED" HUMMMMMM, Don't get me wrong but I see all you bubbas commin in the woods every year talking trash about how bad your new 06' is but the same bunch of ya'll come out the woods with nothing but stories. Yea the M1 grand was the greatest battle rifle ever impelmented, but the M14 took it over.CMP matches do use the '06 but they really are not that sucessful! PALMA matches use 308 with 155gr sierra HPBT.(1000m)Specialty ammo? Your kidding right just look at all of the Tactical ammo in 308 NOT BUBBA huntin' ammo BUT ACCURACY, I got to get the bad guy first time EVERY time.Look at the study websites that have the 308 with 100% kills in police sharp shooters.When its ONE SHOT ONE KILL, the 308 has EVERY ONES confidence.Take your shots, but in the end you know what the BEST use!BTW All charges against the DENWA institute have been dropped and now the investigation has been pointed to the wrecklessand misinformed 30'06 owners.Love it or leave it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    There have been some excellent claims on both sides of the issue. However, the '06 isn't better than the .308 by virtue of the fact that the M-14 took over for the Garand. On that note, one could imply that the 5.56 is better than the .308 because the M-16 took over for the M-14.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Doesn`t anybody like...oh,..never mind. .218
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I think that both the 5.56 and the .308 cartriges have there positive aspects.. each one is better than the other depending on the application it is used for. every caliber has its place... i think some are a little too similar... i think some are over rated ...
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,977 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well now you have seen all the data and opinions. The -06 has a little more go and the .308 a bit better accuracy. Both will do the job on anything up to and including elk (If you put the bullet in the right spot). Go with the one you shoot best with and like best. Acknowledging the velocity advantage of the -06, I prefer shooting the .308. That is just me, and everyone's preference is equally valid.
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a $100 bet.I get to set out two Win Mod 70s in 308 or 30-06.Shoot one ,then the other at any range with the same wt bullet.You give the correct case and you get the $100.Wrong and I get it.cpermd
  • Options
    edited November -1
    alltheway,next time,just open the box...rules were made to Bee broken! .218
  • Options
    edited November -1
    hey alltheway... next time just open a case of 500 nitro express.. now thats a real round