In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

new TSA x-ray machines...

KSUmarksmanKSUmarksman Member Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
...somehow I do not think that subjecting passengers to essentially a weak x-ray is a good idea...

oh well, in a few years I will laugh all the way to the bank while treating all the TSA people for cancer [}:)]

Comments

• sig232sig232 Member Posts: 8,018
    edited November -1
  • fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,554 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i had my drawers printed with ..kiss my *[^]in the back and eat me in the front
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, the dose from a backscatter x-ray is extremely low.

"The Health Physics Society (HPS) reports that a person undergoing a backscatter scan receives approximately 0.005 millirems of radiation; American Science and Engineering Inc. reports 0.009 mrems. [5] According to U.S. regulatory agencies, "1 mrem per year is a negligible dose of radiation, and 25 mrem per year from a single source is the upper limit of safe radiation exposure"

BTW, a pilot doing high altitude flights, would get abut 160 mRem of exposure a year- not from airport xrays- but from being above much of the atmosphere. Naturally occurring radiation.

My watch produces a higher dose (older self wind Seiko). I am one of the folks that maintains a personal occupational record of exposure to ionizing radiation.

BTW- you also get an increased exposure to radiation if you wear glasses (lenses) false teeth, or have granite countertops in your kitchen. Almost as much exposure a year as you would get in an hour of carrying a compass with a Tritium dial.

I DO love the folks that take Fluffy the cat, and put her and her carrier thru the carry-on baggage X-Ray. THAT has some appreciable energy.
  • KSUmarksmanKSUmarksman Member Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 11b6r
    Well, the dose from a backscatter x-ray is extremely low.

"The Health Physics Society (HPS) reports that a person undergoing a backscatter scan receives approximately 0.005 millirems of radiation; American Science and Engineering Inc. reports 0.009 mrems. [5] According to U.S. regulatory agencies, "1 mrem per year is a negligible dose of radiation, and 25 mrem per year from a single source is the upper limit of safe radiation exposure"

BTW, a pilot doing high altitude flights, would get abut 160 mRem of exposure a year- not from airport xrays- but from being above much of the atmosphere. Naturally occurring radiation.

My watch produces a higher dose (older self wind Seiko). I am one of the folks that maintains a personal occupational record of exposure to ionizing radiation.

BTW- you also get an increased exposure to radiation if you wear glasses (lenses) false teeth, or have granite countertops in your kitchen. Almost as much exposure a year as you would get in an hour of carrying a compass with a Tritium dial.

I DO love the folks that take Fluffy the cat, and put her and her carrier thru the carry-on baggage X-Ray. THAT has some appreciable energy.

I would like to take my own measurements...
    can you blame me for not trusting the "there is a terrorist under every rock" crowd??
  • shootlowshootlow Member Posts: 5,425
    edited November -1
    25mr per year aint squat people receive that in a year because of there surroundings get a survey meter and check concreat you would be supprised by the normal occuring radation around you

i work with the stuff
    edited November -1
    If the concrete was made with granite aggregate, you will definitely get a reading with a GOOD meter.

Burned mantles from Coleman style lanterns are also Alpha emitters- breathing dust from those is ungood- mantles are treated with a Thorium salt.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 11b6r
    If the concrete was made with granite aggregate, you will definitely get a reading with a GOOD meter.

Burned mantles from Coleman style lanterns are also Alpha emitters- breathing dust from those is ungood- mantles are treated with a Thorium salt.

I know that...I mean that I don't trust their numbers given for the machine...
    a system that forces a woman to remove rather private piercings with pliers will also lie about these "lifesaving" gadgets...

The gub'mint also claimed that the '76 swine flu vaccine was "safe" and they claimed that the anthrax vaccine was "safe" for servicemen. Both had plenty serious complications in more than a handful of people...
    I do not trust government idiots in health issues; I'd rather drag our PRIVATE health physicist from CCF out there and when he says its safe I'll trust him.
  • cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,570 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good grief. I hope this doesn't make me sterile. Wait a
    minute ... what am I saying?!
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
    edited November -1
    quote:cbxjeff Posted - 05/19/2009 : 6:15:08 PM
    Good grief. I hope this doesn't make me sterile. Wait a
    minute ... what am I saying

if you get enough to make you sterile that is the least of your problems
    because you are DEAD
    edited November -1
    another consideration:
    (and I almost regret posting it due to OPSEC considerations)
    radiologically plastic explosives are pretty close to human tissue in density...the badguys could place it on their bodies like a fat-fold.

the detonator probably would not be too hard to disguise in the modern electronic gadgets that everyone carries these days.

Damn... I am glad that terrorists are much dumber than the average physicist [;)]

BTW. If any of all y'all are terrorists, please report to my house for immediate termination...this post was not for raghead scumbag eyes [;)]
    edited November -1
    you would not beleive the bull we have to go through now with the industrial radiography now
    there are 18 or so goberment agencys that can spank our aZZs and they all have initals
    and home land unsecurity and the others knows all about me [V][V]
    im working on getting out of the biz
    edited November -1
    Shootlow- you doing cobalt? They spaz over Troxler density gauges, can only imagine on high energy sources. I feel your pain...
    edited November -1
    IR-192 up to 120 curies and Cobalt to 100 curies