In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Help on a caliber!

decemberkidsdecemberkids Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
edited April 2007 in General Discussion
I recently bought some ammo from a friend whose dad is in a nursing home, some .38,.357 magnums, 223,and a caliber I'm not sure what it is. He wanted it all gone so I told him I'd take it and find someone who wanted it. I think it is .308, it's smaller than my .270 and 30-06 in length. The brass is marked WRA 64. Thanks for any help!!

Comments

• Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What's the diameter of the bullet? 30 caliber or smaller? Rimless?

Could be 7mm-08, 308, 300 Savage, etc...

Need pics.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Cubslover,
    Thanks for your reply. Guess your Cubs and my Cards have the evening off due to Josh Hancock's death last night. I live in IL near St. Louis. Brass is same length as my 243. While holding brass the bullet almost goes in the Muzzle of my 30-06 and 30-30. It is centerfire. My daughter has my digital camera today or I'd send you a picture right now. I will email you some when she gets home. Thanks again! Kevin
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    a pic next to a ruler for reference would be nice, the case is Winchester for sure, but when you compare it to a .270 we can only assume you mean case, but cannot be for certain
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you ask your friend what rifles his father has would be a good place to start. If he has a .308, chances are it's .308.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    wow, thats a good place to start!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks to everyone trying to help. Will post pictures when my daughter gets home with my digital camera. I wish I could ask his dad but he has had Alzheimers for quite a while and it is now bad enough they put him in nursing home. He doesn't even know what day it is. His wife had an auction a couple of years ago and sold all of his guns and probably thought all the ammo was gone also. While she was cleaning out the storeroom in their basement she found 7 green metal ammo boxes 12in X 8in X 6in full to the top of each. The .38, 223 and this unknown caliber were loose no boxes with bullet weight,etc. I have almost 2 ammo boxes of this 944 rounds to be exact. Want to find out what it is so I can get rid of it. Thanks again!!
  • Options
    41 nut41 nut Member Posts: 3,016
    edited November -1
    Sounds to me like its military ball .308 ammo. Is the bullet a full metal jacket?
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It might turn out to be .308 (probably will), but you can't go by the can. Lots of people use the cans to store civilian ammo.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Maybe even the 7.62x39.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,421 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 41 nut
    Sounds to me like its military ball .308 ammo. Is the bullet a full metal jacket?
    I agree, with a head stamp of WRA 64, sure sounds like 7.62 NATO ball made by Winchester.
  • Options
    buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    here's some puzzling from another forum, lends more weight that it may be .308.

quote:a while back I picked up a bunch of used 308 brass pretty cheap. when i got home i realized the person had sized it all to 7mm-08. so last night i went through and resized it all back to 308. the brass ranged from new to scrap with most looking like it had some life left in it. what i found interesting is the number of different headstamps mixed in. i counted 314 cases plus a few that i discarded. there was 21 different cases found. some brands i've never heard of, and some i wonder how long it's been since they made brass. for anyone who has actually kept reading this far and still cares, here's the list of headstamps. any thoughts on the oddball cases would be interesting.

WRA 64
    Winchester
    DWM H B
    FC
    R-P
    Rem-UMC
    Super Speed
    Super-X
    WW Super
    LC 63
    Dominion
    S & W
    Norma
    Norma Re
    Browning
    Imperial
    Herters
    R-P 7mm-08
    Frontier
    FC (nickel)
    Winchester (nickel)

the few references to "WRA 64" that I came across all say it was "surplus". as such, it's either .223 or .308. obviously it's not .223, so... as long as it's in boxes like you say and not reloaded/resized, it's probably still .308.

even if you can't figure out what it is here, you should still be able to sell it. put up a picture of the ammo and box, and make it clear that it's "unknown caliber". somebody will buy it.
  • Options
    buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    an interesting side note...

quote:If you bought a Bushmaster, a word of advice. Make sure you can get tight pocketed brass, because the Bushmaster is notorious for blowing the primer out of the pocket when it cycles, on brass that has a not tight primer pocket. This will lock the the action tighter than a bank vault with the primer gets in the lug cluster. Recycled decrimped militarty brass would probably be the best source of once fired brass. I had never experience this problem on two Colt ARs and had fired thousands of my reloads thru them, but two M4s in a row by Bushmaster have hat this problem. Bushmaster warns of this also.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Here are the pictures:

[img]c:\documents and settings\All Users\Documents\My Pictures\Kodak Pictures\2007-04-29\100_0801_small.jpg[/img]

The side of the bullet in the picture below says: WRA 64

[img]c:\documents and settings\All Users\Documents\My Pictures\Kodak Pictures\2007-04-29\100_0830_small.jpg[/img]

[img]c:\documents and settings\All Users\Documents\My Pictures\Kodak Pictures\2007-04-29\100_0802_small.jpg[/img]

Someone ask if the bullet was a full metal jacket and the answer is "Yes".
  • Options
    MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
    edited November -1
    Pics didnt turn out. while everyone states it is .308 i might suggest 7.62x54
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by decemberkids
    Here are the pictures:

[img]c:\documents and settings\All Users\Documents\My Pictures\Kodak Pictures\2007-04-29\100_0801_small.jpg[/img]

The side of the bullet in the picture below says: WRA 64

[img]c:\documents and settings\All Users\Documents\My Pictures\Kodak Pictures\2007-04-29\100_0830_small.jpg[/img]

[img]c:\documents and settings\All Users\Documents\My Pictures\Kodak Pictures\2007-04-29\100_0802_small.jpg[/img]

Someone ask if the bullet was a full metal jacket and the answer is "Yes".

You're going to have to open an account at www.photobucket.com.

It's free, you upload your pictures and post the link they give you that starts with in the box here and the picture will show.  There's also a sticky at the top of this forum that walks you though it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Pictures are now posted!! Thanks to all who have tried to help! Kevin