In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

buying a returned scope

bolthandlebolthandle Member Posts: 1,213 ✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Do you ever wonder why someone would return a scope?

Was it to much(power, size, etc) for their application?

Cost to much?

I have been looking at some Leupolds that have either been returned or have been discontinued. Some of them you can see the ring marks on the tube. Not that the marks are in the tube but more that they have left a slight wear on the finish(cosmetic).

Would you be weary of one of these?

Being that the price from a new one is about $150.00 less.

Bolt

PEACE THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER

Comments

• SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    They should carry the original warranty so I wouldn't be worried.
    I buy used ones sometimes and in my book that's no different than returned except that it may be worse.[:)]

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Leupold has "forever" warranty.

Others have similar. And reconditioned scopes typically come with a warranty that is as good as the original so therer isn't any more risk than buying new.

Some scopes may be trade-ins, but I suspect that most are take-offs or they were returned inoperable and reconditioned. And, most reconditioned scopes do not have the outside refinished so you may see some marks.

2470099-S.jpg
    If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
  • crosshaircrosshair Member Posts: 635 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Would not be worried at all if it is a company that carries a unlimited lifetime warranty!

Believe nothing that you hear and only one half of what you see!!

I'm Just One Man Talking!
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's the scoop on returned scopes. Some hunters will go out and buy a scope from someone like Wal Mart who allows you to return items for a refund--no questions asked. They buy a perfectly good scope and then return it for their money back after the hunting season is over. There's nothing wrong with the scope but they just want their money back. It happens all the time. I wouldn't worry if it's a Leupold.
  • Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Being a Leupold and at a $150 savings, I say go for it.

My humble 2.5-cents worth,
    Rafter-S