In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

I shot my car! What a dumb mistake.

Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
This is a take-off on the topic My shotgun went off in my house tonight.

I had a little 22 caliber Beretta pistol go off in a new car one time. I was sitting in the passenger side front seat and chambered a round from the clip by pulling the slide back and letting it go. The pistol was instinctively pointed between my feet at the floorboard. It went off shooting a hole in the floor of the car...about 1/2" from my right foot! At first I thought I must have had my finger on the trigger, but finally realized I didn't. I searched out in the grass where the empty had ejected until I found the spent case. To my surprise, there was no firing pin mark--it had detonated on the slamming of the breach! A slam-fire. I almost shot my foot with a slam-fire!

I share this in hopes that everyone will take it in consideration when loading a gun. The trigger doesn't necessarily have to be pulled for the gun to go off. It's the reason behind the rule: Always keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.

Rafter-S

Comments

• FrOgFrOg Member Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK, that's gotta be the friekiest thing that's ever happened to you. Then again, you could tell all the girls you lost your foot in a gun fight. You'll be like a pirate or something[B)][V]

Frog

divemed1sm.jpg

GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY
  • SilverBoxSilverBox Member Posts: 2,347
    edited November -1
    yeup. I've had .22 lr's slamfire before. Always at the range when it was pointed downrange thu. Those .22 rimfires sometimes slamfire...
  • rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    I had a 1911 go off full auto on me one time, took me by complete suprise and I shot off the cable that held up the target at the indoor range. [:D]

aliens.jpg
  • Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Quote: You'll be like a pirate or something

Yeah, I could be "4-toed Pete."
    [:D]

Rafter-S
  • rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    4-toed Pete? ROFL! I guess that's better than being One-Nut Nick.

aliens.jpg
  • alaskanmanalaskanman Member Posts: 362 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    once i had my marlin 60 cocked and was walking into the woods after spruce hens and it went off when i jumped from a log. that was a good lesson to keep the chamber clear till ready to shoot!

www.alaskancampfire.com
  • benzappedbenzapped Member Posts: 328 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How do you field dress a car? [:D]
  • bigtirebigtire Member Posts: 24,800
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by benzapped
    How do you field dress a car? [:D]

ROFLMFAO, That was classic!

At least he has a license for it, maybe...[:D]

The original point and click interface was a Smith and Wesson.
  • Special OperationsSpecial Operations Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My mom had a slamfire on a Winchester .20 ga one time at the trap range. Scared her so bad she didn't ever want to go back. She blew the control cable in half about 4 feet in front of her feet. We still don't know exactly what happened. That gun had never misfired before..or ever since. Only thing we can figure is she had her finger on the trigger upon closing the breech, but she swears she didn't and she was an oldtimer too.
  • Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Special Operations--

She very likely didn't have her finger on the trigger. Too bad you didn't recover the spent case. It might not have had a firing pin mark to prove it.

I have also seen debris get in a bolt and hold the firing pin forward, making a simi auto work like an open bolt machinegun. My son had an semi AK do that one time. Gave him a thrill he wasn't expecting.

Back to your mom's situation. Glad she had safe gun handling practices and had the gun pointed in a safe direction. It paid off for her.

Rafter-S