In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Copper solvent question

HeavyBarrelHeavyBarrel Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
do I use copper solvent after every time I shoot? and can or does it replace the regular powder solvent?

Comments

• n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I use BLUE WONDER gun cleaner and elimnate the solvents.[:D]

flageagle.gif

"I dont care how thin you make a pancake, it still has two sides"

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows.
    Hudson.gif
    900.gif
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Blue Wonder . . . with that in your kit, you need no other cleaning agents. The only plausible alternative - IMCO - is Butch's Bore Shine. I still have some of the latter as well as some other good ones and will use these up, but BW is so much more versatile (e.g., it does an incredible job on rust without harming the finish) that I will not purchase anything else as those run out. My only complaint about BW is that it doesn't have the bewitching fragrance of Hoppes #9.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the French." (Mark Twain)
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use it if 20rnds or more have been fired. I like PERFECTLY clean bores,..and with a good barrel light,..well let's just say most bore cleaners are lacking. I use Sweets 7.62,..or shooters choice. Then followed by Kroil. If I have to retire for the evening,..I let the barrel sit overnight or even until the next night with hoppes in it. Hoppes is a good,..unaggresive solvent,..but the fastest way to get copper out is still Sweets 7.62 FOLLOWED by Kroil.

Clean barrels shoot better and last longer.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have changed to Winchester Power Point Plus ammo--has a bullet coated with a black material of some kind. I'm getting the best accuracy ever from my old hunting rifle and at the same time the fowling has been reduced to near nothing.

The new ammo makes cleaning the barrel a snap with about any solvent.

My humble 2.5-cents worth,
    Rafter-S