In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

The Judge

nordnord Member Posts: 6,106
edited December 2003 in General Discussion
I miss 'ol JD. His dire predictions always caused me to think... Sometimes to even research the subject because his logic seemed to be so good...

The best teacher I ever had was the gentleman who taught me to fly. I wanted to purchase a plane and asked him about several. He told me to study the logs because past history is an almost certain indicator of the future.

In his own gentle way, Joe Costa taught me the great lesson of life. "Look at the past to judge the future." He was a good and gentle human being.

And so I look to the past:

There hasn't been an increase of free energy machines that I know of and Einstein's theorys remain intact even today. You can't make energy, you can only transfer it. I expect it to be as true tommorow as today.

The mysterious "X" planet that was going to cause galactic hell wasn't. I don't expect much change on that front either.

California (as of this writing) is still firmly attached to the continent, though it slips a bit from time to time. I doubt I'll be around to see it slip past Alaska.

The central United States has failed to become a shallow lake, though the Mississippi still floods just as it always has.

Our government, world government, or any government isn't anywhere near reading anyone's mind. Government, for the most part, can't even figure out what's on our collective mind (And that's after a public vote).

Terrorism... Terrorists are just that. They don't win wars. They don't win nations. Terrorists are cowards and the murderers of innocents. Terrorists recruit zealots. Zealots are dangerous because they believe their reward lies in the next life. Strange that they never realize they're being used. So... Not much has changed there either.

And us (the U.S.)? Always we seem slow to react. We fail to do what would seem obvious. We fight with each other, argue, and bicker.
Each and every time we've come out of almost hopeless situations and moved on. It would seem that our "weakness" is somehow our ally. And somehow we've changed? I don't think so.

Thank you J.D. for making me think. Thank you for your insight into what isn't. Thank you for reaffirming my belief in the basic goodness and strength of the U.S. Thank you for forcing me to remember that 9/11 happened well over two years ago and that terrorists certainly didn't decide to call a pause in their activities because they were on vacation.

Will terrorists try again? Past history says yes.

Will their efforts find success in the future? Over two years there's been nothing. That would lead one to believe we've prevailed over a number of their attempts. Why wouldn't we expect to continue?

And so I wish everyone a Happy New Year with the expectation that we'll probably be around to witness it... The good and the bad. Past history says so.

Nord

Comments

• Options
    nordnord Member Posts: 6,106
    edited November -1
    Robert Duvall
    Robert Downey JR
    Was a great acting movie, good story line, the kind you would expect from Duvall worth a see
  • Options
    paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    Nord: Truer words have never been spoken!!!

paboogerani3.gif

LIFES MOSTLY SCARS AND SOUVENIRS - Max Stalling

To Ride, shoot straight,and speak the truth
    This was the Ancient law of Youth
    Old times are past, old times are done:
    But the Law runs true, O little son!