In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Making Jerky

paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
edited November 2002 in General Discussion
I got my sons deer back from the processor lastnight and the wife whipped up a batch of jerky with some of the venison burger. It is in the dehydrater right now and the aroma is wonderful. If any of you have not tried the new guns that use ground meat to make jerky you are really missing something. I personally do not care for venison burger, and this is a wonderfully delicious way to make use of it!
Pa.

Edited by - nunn on 10/31/2002 14:28:20

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Does anyone have a good recipe for making deer jerky.
    Thanks
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,261 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never heard of burger jerky. It sounds good. I wonder, with the fat added to the burger would it keep as well as regular jerky?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    They suggest that you use lean burger. Trust me, this stuff is good it comes out of the gun in strips about 1/8 inch thick, by 1 inch wide and as long as you want it. When it dries out it stays together just like regular jerky but is much easier to chew. These guns are fairly inexpensive and can usually be purchased at walmart, kmart, gander mountain, etc.
    check them out at www.nesco.com

Edited by - pabooger on 10/31/2002 09:14:23

Edited by - nunn on 10/31/2002 14:28:49
  • Options
    edited November -1
    OK, I get it a gun that makes burger into strips. I didn't understand that in your first post. I'll have to try that.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My kids eat it as fast as we can make it!!!

Edited by - nunn on 10/31/2002 14:29:16
  • Options
    muleymuley Member Posts: 1,583 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    pabooger......I've been meaning to look into those things. I think I saw them in Cabelas. I filled my second tag the other day and am just waiting to make the hamburger. Now, I will make a lot of it into jerky. Hmmm, Hmmm, Hmmm.

muley

****VOTE****VOTE****VOTE****VOTE****VOTE****VOTE****VOTE****
  • Options
    edited November -1
    MULEY: I think you will like it!
    Venison burger used to go to waste in this house nut not any more!!!

Edited by - nunn on 10/31/2002 14:29:48
  • Options
    edited November -1
    pabooger something is wrong. You like the taste of venison but you don't like the burger? The deer burger we get from the butcher is great, and when I make it myself it is even better. I give away some of my home made venison burger and sausage at Christmas to my city relatives and it gets rave reviews. The next November they give me little hints that some of that deer burger would look good under the tree. Of course I put a little marijuana in the sausage. No just kidding. I wonder what is wrong with the venison burger you are getting? Well, I am glad you have found a good use for it.
  • Options
    concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,566 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was going to ask the same thing, what's wrong with venison burger?!

I love the stuff!!!

I also like vension jerky, but I just cut up thin strips of venison steak, marinate it and then dry it in the oven at a very low temperature.

Gun Control Disarms Victims, NOT Criminals
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just me I guess, I love deer steaks and chops but have never been fond of the roasts and burger! Might have been something to do with having to eat it six days a week when I was growing up. Lol
    My dad worked in the oil fields for very little pay and he had four kids to feed, So we ate lot's of venison! I envy my Father, he might not have made a whole lot of money but he got to do what he loved the most and that was hunt. He was a pumper so he had plenty of time to hunt and scout for game while he was working!

Edited by - nunn on 10/31/2002 14:30:18
  • Options
    muleymuley Member Posts: 1,583 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I found the "Jerky Blaster" and am ordering mine today. I figure if I layed down about 1/2 mile of the 1/8" stuff, it would last me until three days after Christmas.
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/standard-pod-wrapped.jhtml?id=0014969&navAction=jump

****VOTE****VOTE****VOTE****VOTE****VOTE****VOTE****VOTE****
  • Options
    edited November -1
    L.O.L. Muley:
    You should be fine as long as the Boogerbrats aren't around, they go thru that stuff faster than thru a tin horn!!!
    Let me know how it turns out for you!!
    Oh and by the way, the first batch is done, it took about 3 hours in the dehydrator, and Damm it is good!

Edited by - nunn on 10/31/2002 14:30:58
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well it only took one nite and the first batch is gone.
    The little darlins are in school now and I have put the second batch in a safe place!