In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Kabar Tanto Point Knife

NickCWinterNickCWinter Member Posts: 2,927
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Bought the black model with the kydex sheath. Since I anticipate no knife fights, it was a little justifying to read in the accompanying booklet that it's a "fighting/utility" knife.
Isn't a tanto point a bit more sturdy? Doesn't Pa work at the Kabar facility?

Comments

• offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know if a tanto is more sturdy, but pa does work at Ka-Bar.

I like both tantos and clip points, and have both. My 1217 model is also described as a fighting knife and was USMC issue. I don't "plan" for any knife fights either, but I don't want to bring a ball bat to one. A good knife can be used for many things, including a hammer, a prybar, an opener, and you name it. Since I started carrying a good knife I find I use it all the time -- something I just didn't do with a pen knife.

I want one that won't break, and that China stuff, while pretty good sometimes and bad others, wasn't quite enough for me. Besides, why buy from China when you can buy American and get better product? A good, big knife is just another "less lethal" tool in the kit. Not that it's all that less lethal necessarily but it can be. [8D] IMHO.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
  • NickCWinterNickCWinter Member Posts: 2,927
    edited November -1
    Offerer: Good points ...as it were.

p.s. Every time I see your logo coin, I think of chocolate cookies. An insidious temptation at Girl Scout cookie time.
  • RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's my Ka-Bar 1245 compliments of PaBooger.
    8" Blade with a serrated edge that looks like Diamonds when the light hits it.
    Ka-Bar does advertise:
    The Tanto blade shape, of Asian influence, has a thick pointed blade that's good for penetration. Coupled with a glass-filled nylon sheath this knife is designed for the toughest of tasks.

Ka-Bar_tanto.jpg

Jacksonville.gif
    sniper.gif Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    http://www.awbansunset.com/
    Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • duckyducky Member Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do miss my 1217.. fortunately it went to a better place with my father's collection. [:)]
    edited November -1
    Ruger/Niner - That looks like my knife and sheath. But I thought the sheath was kydex. Maybe not.
  • paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    Those Tanto's are sweet, we sell a ton of them!!!!

pa.gif

Rixford.gif

Kids that fish, hunt and trap have never mugged any old ladies!

To Ride, shoot straight,and speak the truth
    This was the Ancient law of Youth
    Old times are past, old times are done:
    But the Law runs true, O little son!
    edited November -1
    I love my new Ka-Bar, actually my second and definitely the more varied in cutting edges and point. As there's little need for a Communication Professor to wear such a Ka-Bar around to classes and meetings, I just love to see it, feel it, use it as a back-scratcher. Eventually, I'll put it in my range bag, which was the grownup reason I gave as I bought it.
    Pa, what's your part in making them? Do you know how many they make a day?
  • paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    Too many!!!! Right now we can't make them fast enough!!!

pa.gif

Rixford.gif

Kids that fish, hunt and trap have never mugged any old ladies!

To Ride, shoot straight,and speak the truth
    This was the Ancient law of Youth
    Old times are past, old times are done:
    But the Law runs true, O little son!