In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

New York State Trooper Murdered

BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
edited February 2002 in General Discussion
Well just look what some stupid worthless hillbilly did today. It makes me sick.At about 9:00 AM this morning, a 24-year-old NYS Trooper just 4 months out of the Academy responded to a menacing call at a remote rural house in Upstate NY.A woman had recieved a threatening phone call from her ex-boyfriend, saying she was dead and he would be "coming over".The officer arrived, and as he was taking her statement inside the house the woman's ex-boyfriend, Jamie Sharp, arrived and saw the trooper through the picture window in the kitchen.He took aim with a high-powered .300-caliber hunting rifle and shot the trooper once in the head through the window, killing him instantly.He then proceeded to enter the house, shoot his ex-girlfriend once in the head, killing her, before turning the rifle on himself.

Comments

• LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    Ever see a "low-powered" .30 caliber hunting rifle?
    Lord Lowrider the LoquaciousMember:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets She was only a fisherman's daughter,But when she saw my rod she reeled.
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would like to ask the LEO's on here something. Why do you do it? Is it the pay? Does it pay well enough to justify that? Damn that is sad, heartbreaking. 24 years old. Dead. Why? because he was doing his job, he was a cop. Dead. Sad. All of you LEO's out there, god bless all of you. You do a job I would never want. here is a short story I found some time ago.cKeith A. HamblinMarch, 2001There has been a lot of talk for a long time about the various police forces that serve this community and about the quality of people we have standing behind those badges.We seem to forget that only one man ever walked this earth in perfection. Instead, we measure every person but ourselves against our image of perfection and cry foul when we catch anyone who we feel doesn't fit the bill. Even worse, we judge entire races, religions and professions poorly by what we perceive as imperfection in a few individuals.A police officer, like every other person, is still just a person. There is no machinery or microprocessor behind that badge that forces him to make all the right decisions, thank God. Instead, he must use experience and judgement. Sometimes in a very short time to make a decision.When we make a mistake we demand to be excused for human error. If a police officer makes a mistake we shout it from the rooftops.How horrible would our lives be if it were not for the men and women we ask to accept small pay and risk life and limb to fight our battles for us every day?If they get assaulted on the job, we consider it part of the job. If they hit back, then it is police brutality. If they speed down the road, we cry foul and accuse those dirty cops of thinking they are above the law. Yet when it is we who are in trouble, they never seem to get here fast enough.We take our lunch and coffee breaks at work almost religiously, but if a cop sits down at a diner or convenience store for one minute longer than it takes us to pump our gas, well then, "there's a prime example of our tax dollars at work!"We kick and scream when they ask for money to hire more officers, or for overtime pay, or even just for a fair living wage. Then we accuse them of not doing their jobs when we become data for the latest crime statistics.We complain that the cops and the laws only protect the criminals, but if we or our children are the ones caught standing on the wrong side of the law, then all of our rights have been violated and "that's unconstitutional!"The truth is our police force is highly trained, and what they lack in number they make up for in quality. Society without them would be total chaos, and each of us owes them a great debt of gratitude. Not to mention a wage that does not qualify them for food stamps.The majority of us in this slightly less-than-perfect world, sleep safely in our beds. We travel to and from work without posting sentries in our homes, and we are free to walk the streets without fear because of these brave men and women.Perhaps, instead of seeking every opportunity to find fault, we should be finding ways to help them fill the gaps caused by a severe lack of manpower.Maybe also, just every once in a while, we should stop and say hello or express thanks while we are walking in to pay for our gas or sodas. We may be surprised to find a friend who just wants a safe community to raise kids and pursue dreams and hobbies the same as we do.Most of all, our legislature needs to make sure that the wages for our troopers reflects a little more competitiveness so that we can continue to attract the best of the best.
    If you want my guns you will have to kill me first. I was born free and to take that from me you better be ready to fight.
  • Gordian BladeGordian Blade Member Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have another question for LEOs on this board. Bullzeye and I live in the same general area so we get the same news. That story got me wondering whether it is a strong temptation for a LEO when this kind of thing happens to decide that maybe it would be better for civilians not to be able to own firearms? The rifle in question was (apparently) a hunting type, not the dreaded "assault" rifle, but all it takes is one shot. If a LEO gets killed in a situation like this, it's going to be some sort of firearm 99 times out of 100. So with great respect to the LEOs out there who are putting their lives on the line, I am asking this question with all sincerity and I would like to hear your candid comments.
  • Ronald J. SnowRonald J. Snow Member Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Being that domestic dispute calls are the worst to respond to why did only one officer respond? As a rule our officers do not respond alone to this type of call. Just curious as each state and each agency look at things differently.
  • njretcopnjretcop Member Posts: 7,975
    edited November -1
    Gordian: Speaking for myself, I am constantly working toward that end here in NJ. Look at my signature below, I belong to a number of organizations working to extend Second Amendment rights to EVERY law abiding citizen of our country. I can honestly tell you, that every LEO that I know feels the same way! We welcome armed citizens behind us. I know that I will have been successful in my efforts when I finally convince my good friend Salzo we are on the side of CCW holders.-Charlie
    It's the stuff dreams are made of AngelNRA Certified Firearms InstructorMember: GOA, RKBA, NJSPBA, NJ area rep for the 2ndAMPD. njretcop@copmail.com [This message has been edited by njretcop (edited 02-11-2002).]
    edited November -1
    Hi njretcop,What I was wondering is how many LEOs don't feel the same way you do? To be honest, if I were a LEO, I might feel more comfortable if I knew that firearms were very difficult for the average citizen to obtain. Especially if I had been shot at a couple of times, or if one of my colleagues had been shot in the line of duty.I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure most LEOs in New York City would prefer the average citizen in NYC not to have firearms of any kind, not just handguns.
  • njretcopnjretcop Member Posts: 7,975
    edited November -1
    Gordian: During my career with the police here in NJ, I was shot at several times! (Thanks to God, I was never hit). Stabbed, but that's another story, lol. Although I didn't ask them, I'll bet that none of the people that shot at me had a CCW. (Especially in NJ, haha) I can't imagine why any LEO would be opposed to armed civilians. Most, I believe, would come to the aid of an officer in trouble. I had an un armed citizen come to my assistance and he probably saved my hide doing so.-Charlie
    It's the stuff dreams are made of AngelNRA Certified Firearms InstructorMember: GOA, RKBA, NJSPBA, NJ area rep for the 2ndAMPD. njretcop@copmail.com
  • FTSLT488FTSLT488 Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Our prayers go out to the slain trooper's family.As an NYPD firearms instructor, I support the citizen's right to own a firearm provided, of course, federal, state and local laws are satisfied. In addition, responsibility and proficiency MUST be emphasized - can't just hand someone a gun!Here in the city, domestic calls are handled with the same caution as "heavier" calls; in my 17+ years experience, they're unpredictable.A sincere thank you to the rest of the nation for their support of NYC during the emergency. GOD BLESS AMERICA.
    edited November -1
    Thank you, FTSLT488, for your candid comments. NYS Troopers take a lot of flak from the public because they are the ones handing out most of the tickets on our interstates, and no one likes that. But as you know (maybe not everyone does), they provide basic police services to a lot of small upstate towns that can't afford their own police. I never heard of the trooper who died before today, and I don't know his family, but their son died to protect his country just as a soldier would.I have some other comments on NY State firearms law, but they aren't appropriate for this thread so I'll save them for later.
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,058 ******
    edited November -1
    That is very tragic. Too bad the turd didn't just do himself first.That story is one of many I have read of NY State Police answering calls at residences. This is strange to me.Here in Texas, you would never get that trooper off the highway writing tickets to answer a call for police service. Either the city gets it or the county gets it, or nobody responds.Not criticizing, just noting a difference in procedures.
    Certified SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of the General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com, the premier gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net Jesus is Lord!
  • guns-n-painthorsesguns-n-painthorses Member Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree, Where was his back-up. I know you can't always dispatch two officers to every call, but hell, I'm not a LEO and even I know domestic's are the most unpredictable. It's too bad that a state collage can pay millions of dollars per year for football coaches, but the state can't afford two officers per car 24/7. I think we need to make some changes here. It's not going to take very more stories like this one before we no longer can own any firearms.
  • mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe I don't understand. Why was this trooper dispatched to a call that was clearly a possibly violent situation? The woman told the dispatcher that her ex was coming to kill her. Mudge the confused
    I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No problem.
    If you want my guns you will have to kill me first. I was born free and to take that from me you better be ready to fight.