In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

NICS Keeping Records?

Evil ATFEvil ATF Member Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2002 in General Discussion
"I posted this on another NICS thread here, but thought that the info warranted it's own forum. I'll add later on today, if need be." --EvilI just dealt with this yesterday. The customer has a clean record, but someone with his name has been a bad boy. So, we give the social security number to NICS. Still delayed. It ended up being delayed for the full 3 day wait. I called NICS back to see what the hell was going on. I know the guy on a personal level and he has never been arrested in his life. I say to NICS "Why is it still delayed? He's clean and you have his social security number."Listen closely, here goes: NICS said to me "We do not use the social security numbers for the background check. It's for our records only."I kid you not. That's the short story. I'll expand later. Gotta run to work.Edited For Idiocy. Must Get Coffee.
Stand And Be Counted[This message has been edited by Evil ATF (edited 02-12-2002).]

Comments

• badboybobbadboybob Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hmmmm. And they are supposed to destroy the records after how many days?If they don't deny a purchase after a certain amount of time, can't the sale be done anyway?
    PC=BS
  • changdaochangdao Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep! They have three days to say yea or nay. At the end of the 3rd day, if they haven`t gotten back to the dealer, he is allowed to complete the transaction.
    No good deed goes unpunished
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been telling you guys this all along. DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER!!
    Happiness is a warm gun
  • agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    Well who really cares if you do or do not give them your SS#, every Tom, Dick and Harry with a computor can find it on the Internet with just a little searching. Besides, any Govt. agency in existence probably already has it. We are just a number to the govt. afterall.
    AlleninAlaska
  • Miss. CreantMiss. Creant Member Posts: 300 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I challenge anyone of you to find my ssn on the internet. If you are interested send me an e-mail at warpig883@yahoo.com and I will tell you my real name.You do not have to give NICS a ssn.I get delayed for every gun I buy for 2 to 3 days. After many e-mails and a couple letters to NICS they finally wrote me and said that there is another person with the same name as me who is a convicted felon. That is the reason I always get delayed.[This message has been edited by Miss. Creant (edited 02-12-2002).]
  • semiwadsemiwad Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Strikes me - these days ..... it's hard to keep any personal info secret .... I mean REAL secret.Once you're ''in the system'', seems little we can do to retain any anonimity!
    "UNITED WE STAND"~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~"Never mind the dog - beware the owner""Growing old is mandatory, growing wise is optional"(aka Hollowbase)
  • kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    semiwad I think you hit the nail on the head, and once you get a number (read SSN) your in the system ... IMHO
    Here's a thought: Let's make criminals responsible for their crimes ... ...Not blame society and the tools they use!kimberkid@gunbroker.zzn.com
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah right give them you SS number. Might as well make it as easy as possible for them to take your guns away.
    Happiness is a warm gun
  • Evil ATFEvil ATF Member Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Salzo hit the nail on the head. Would you rather have the FBI and BATF know that a Bob Thornton in Alabama had a background check dne for a long arm, or would you rather have them know that the Bob Thornton, SSN 123-45-6789, in the city of * bought an AK-47 SAR-1 variant?Don't make it easy for them people. If you look closely on the yellow form, the SSN info is optional. It is not required. Now, state laws and forms may vary, but the yellow Fed form does not require it and they have now admitted that it is not even used at any stage of the background check. It is purely for record keeping purposes.My *. Never give your social again on a firearms background check.
  • thesupermonkeythesupermonkey Member Posts: 3,905 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Aglore,Here is why...Mr. Ag Lore133 Myaddress Ln.Somewhere, XXSSN # 123-45-6789NIX Totals:
    01/21/1995 - Hand Gun01/29/1995 - Long Gun02/15/1995 - Hand Gun03/12/1995 - Long Gun03/16/1995 - Long Gun06/04/1995 - Long Gun07/02/1995 - Hand Gun07/10/1995 - Long Gun07/29/1995 - Hand Gun11/02/1995 - Hand Gun12/19/1995 - Hand Gun01/21/1996 - Hand Gun01/29/1996 - Long Gun02/15/1996 - Hand Gun03/12/1996 - Long Gun06/14/1996 - Long Gun08/29/1996 - Hand Gun12/22/1996 - Hand GunStartin to get the idea?
    edited November -1
    And SuperMonkey, what does that prove. they already have your SSN#. Last time I looked the BATF came under the Dept. of Treasurey. Isn't that the same branch of the Govt. that the IRS is under and doesn't the IRS already have your SSN#. Now who in they're right mind would believe anything their govt. told them, especially under the Klintonista's.Don't know about other state's when it comes to a CCW background check, but in the State of Alaska, your file is run through the FBI to make sure you are who you say you are. And on the form for obtaining a CCW permit, you must enter your SSN#. Do people really think I care if the govt. knows how many or when I bought my guns. I sure as hell don't. You should be more worried about bigger things in life, like when is your FFL dealer going to go out of business and have to send all his records to the BATF. So if anybody here has bought a firearm from an FFL that has given up his license, the BATF knows who you are and how many guns you bought. Besides with a State of Alaska CCW permit, I'm exempt from a NICS check. Go in store, pick what I want, plunk down money, fill out form and go home.
    AlleninAlaska
  • Evil ATFEvil ATF Member Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You mean you fill out the yellow 4473 form that your dealer will turn over to BATF when he gets out of the biz?You're contradicting yourself, Al, just like your namesake.
    edited November -1
    Yep, because I could care less if the Govt. knows how many guns I have. When they pass a law that says my guns have been outlawed, I will turn them in. Not to do so, would make me a criminal like those here preach should not be permitted to have guns to begin with. Now how many of you want to become criminals?
    AlleninAlaska
  • BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
    edited November -1
    Oh mannnnn.....
  • thesupermonkeythesupermonkey Member Posts: 3,905 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    aglore, You take advantage of rights that you really don't understand. Al, all American citizens have the RIGHT (Irrevocable claim, due, entitlement, etc) to own a firearm. Why? Our founding fathers fled a land where the people had no rights. In order to give the power to the people and keep the government as a 'Servant of the people', they framed the 2nd amendment. Granting all Americans the 'RIGHT' not 'Privilege' of owning firearms. Should the government ever overstep its boundaries and quit functioning for the people (Which it already has), the people would have the ways and means (firearms) to change it. I bet if the government said they were confiscating cars due to their dangerous nature, you would probably blow a gasket, maybe even hide or refuse to surrender your vehicle. The constitution guarantees your right to own a gun, yet owning a car is a privilege. I am my own worst enemy. No, I will not surrender my weapons if the government calls for it, but at the same time, I will not directly violate the current gun laws even if they are obviously unconstitutional. The government doesn't want you to have guns for a reason.Munkey
  • will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    All you that will be criminals can get in line behind me! Take guns away my butt.
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, take it to a mechanic. will270win@aol.com ~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • Seth Kony PerumeSeth Kony Perume Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    NICS checks are a good thing, it keeps guns out of the hands of would be criminals.We should have just as many restrictions on guns as driver's licenses.
  • axlerfanaxlerfan Member Posts: 713 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    oh boy here we go
  • axlerfanaxlerfan Member Posts: 713 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    oh boy here we go
  • Seth Kony PerumeSeth Kony Perume Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got ya worried ?
    edited November -1
    You can all preach about the second Amendment all you want, I support it 100%. But you keep failing to remember that all it takes is a simple 2/3 vote of the states to amend the Constitution. I really love it when people spout off about "They can take it from my cold dead hands". You keep forgetting one thing. The Govt. doesn't care how they take your guns. Dead or alive.
    AlleninAlaska[This message has been edited by aglore (edited 02-13-2002).]
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No they don't care if I'm dead or alive when they take my guns, but there will be one less of them too, I guaruntee that. I refuse to live in a country where I have no rights. Those of you who think that giving up the guns won't matter to your status as a citizen. Like it or not, the 2nd amendment is keeping the rest of the constitution together. Take it away and the rest will follow. I would rather die than give them up because some politician wants to take them away. If I commit a crime then it's a different story, I lose. But just to take them away, never. And the constitution does not need to be amended for them to disarm us. Look at Kali with the so called assault weapon ban or the "cheap gun" ban. Little by little they are taking them away. It costs more and more everyday to buy a gun. The paperwork gets tougher. They will take the rights away without touching the constitution. They will be regulated to the point where ownership will be impossible. it's already happening, you need to wake up.
    If you want my guns you will have to kill me first. I was born free and to take that from me you better be ready to fight.