In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Deer in the road.

EhlerDaveEhlerDave Member Posts: 5,158 ✭✭
edited November 2013 in General Discussion
Well lets here it for good luck for once, well for us at least. Last night we had to go into town to get a few food items. On the way home on the far West edge of Kaw dam, you local people know the place, they have a deer crossing sign, we hit a deer.

I saw it and yelled, Rita hit the brakes and let me tell you with anti lock brakes you can flat mash on them and not skid and you still get to go in a straight line. The deer came out of the dark at a full run, very little time to react. Our sacks with groceries were sent to the front of the bed in a rather harsh manner. The deer seemed to panic also, if it had just kept going we would have been close but would not have made contact.

The deer hit it's brakes right in front of us, but due to old technology (hooves on asphalt) it skidded, and was falling as we hit. Not sure how fast we were going but we hit it pretty hard. I think, but am not sure, that we may have gone over part of it with a tire. In any case as soon as Rita stopped I was out of the truck and that deer was up and going, it was hopping, but went up that hill out of sight rather quickly. My plan was to see if it had been hurt to a point of being in need to be put down, if so it would have come home and the parts that could be used would have been.

I had Rita move our truck out of the lane of traffic and I checked the truck as best as I could, it looked okay. It took a good amount of time after we got home for her to calm down, scared us all bad and she feels bad it happened, not so much about the truck but maybe causing a fatal injury to the deer. But even when watching you can only do so much to avoid them. I think Rita did her very best, and she did not go into on coming traffic so for that I am proud of her.

I just went out and looked at the truck, not a bit of damage, not even the skirts under the bumper to give it that lowered look, nothing is broken, not even those stupid plastic headlights they use now. We lucked out big time, I hope the deer did as well as we did. I can not find a single piece of hair even.

Thanks sweety, for driving and keeping us safe, I may tease you about this for the next 20-30 years but hey that's what I do. [8D]
Just smile and say nothing, let them guess how much you know.

Comments

• Options
    cranky2cranky2 Member Posts: 3,236 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Glad you're both ok.
  • Options
    woodshed87woodshed87 Member Posts: 25,785
    edited November -1
    Thankgiving For all Involved[:D][:D][^]
  • Options
    retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    She done good !!!

My two women... (wife and daughter) have hit several deer...
    I think they're tryin' to outdo each other on jus'How Much damage they can do... [}:)]
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That dent in my drivers door of my F250 is from a deer. When I hit it its head hit the corner of the bumper putting a softball sized dent in it. It spun around and kicked my door denting it, when I saw this I was crazy mad. I got out of the truck, saw the dent, grabbed my .40 and prayed out loud that I hoped that deer was still alive just so I could kill it for denting my truck. Got to the deer it was already dead making me even more mad because I wanted to kill that thing.

Have had several close calls out here with mule deer, whitetail deer, antelope and elk but knock on wood we have had no contact. Did see a car a few weeks ago not far from the house that plowed an elk, not a pretty site, car was totaled.