In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

BIG Problem

njretcopnjretcop Member Posts: 7,975
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
well another trainwreck in the story of my life. I need to know what steps do I need to take to get a local cop fired and sued. Ill explain. I have only been through Apollo twice in the past 9 months and the first incident I was behind one and he performed a u turn to get behind me and then pulled me over and issued me a ticket for an expired registration (registration was 3 days expired) then yesterday same cop pulls me over again for an expired inspection sticker (which there is no way in hell he could've seen from where he was stopped) Do you know any cop that can see through a building and through a tinted back window from 90yds away at a 270 degree angle gave me 3 tickets that time impounded my truck and arrested me. Not only was he verbally abusive but knew I was late for work and while I was detained proceeded to make a 20 minute cell phone call to his buddies in an attempt to get me more in trouble with my employers. I am dirt poor and will never be able to afford to get my truck out of impound. so therefor I cannot get another job in order to afford all the fines and fees because he impounded my only means of transportation.

Well Ive had enough I want this man fired and sued as there is no call to wreck someones life who is struggling like this. so if anyone knows what steps need to be taken please speak up If anyone reviews his dash cam they will clearly see that there is no way he could've possibly seen my inspection sticker. Am I screwed of is there anything I can do?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Miami woman refused service at taco bell because she could NOT order in SPANISH...and drive thu employee threatened to call police if she did NOT leave....NOW a taaco belle (CHINESE OWNED) cannot take an ENGLISH speaking AMERICAN order due to SPANISH only speaking employees ..this in the USA ...the balkanization of our country by NOT requiring the speaking, writing, and reading of ENGLISH ....nothing against doing all these in some other language on a private scale but we need the common basis for govt, business, and living in AMERICA...now i do not travel but i bet there are many areas of cities that i could not read a single sign .......my 2cts
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My main computer is down.

I'm on my laptop. This is disaster for me. All of the birthdays are on that computer along with a ton of other stuff.

My big screen monitor went last night. I hooked up my spare today, but it will only open in safe mode. The computer seems to be running in Ms-Dos.

The start post goes well, but when Windows is supposed to open, the screen is garbled and you cannot read anything.

COMPUTER GURUS................HELP!!!!

njretcop@copmail.com

vic.jpg

Charlie
  • Options
    concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,566 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Charlie,

Unless your hard drive died you don't have to worry too much; your data can be recovered.

Try holding the F8 key while the system is POSTing. You should receive an option to boot into safe mode. If you can get into safe mode the problem can be fixed and after another reboot you can be back in business.

Did you load any new device drivers or software immediately prior to the system problems?

G36

Gun Control Disarms Victims, NOT CriminalsThe 2nd Amendment; America's Original Homeland Security
  • Options
    outdoortexasoutdoortexas Member Posts: 4,780
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a job for ...
    "super" shooter! [:D]

If the guy will blow the snow off your property,
    surely he'll come fix the machine.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I can get into safe mode. When I go to system properties (Windows 98SE), and press on the tab "Performance" it says: Some drives are using MS-Dos paging mode" Then it lists all the drives I have.

When I press help, it is blank. If you wanna give me a phone number, I can call you. I have unlimited long distance on my cell phone.

njretcop@copmail.com

vic.jpg

Charlie
  • Options
    TOOLS1TOOLS1 Member Posts: 6,133
    edited November -1
    Njretcop Where you at? I'll bring my SKS and Garand. Might not get it fixed but we will have fun teaching it a leason[;)][:D][:D][:D][:D]
    TOOLS

General TOOLS RRG

Don't go blaming the beer. Hank Hill

So much Ice, So much Beer. So little time. Shooter4

I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem. Hank Hill

When I was a child, I thought as a child. But now that I am grown, I just wish I could act like a child and get away with it.
  • Options
    offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    When a disk drive becomes dysfunctional for one reason or another, as the A: drive did on my laptop a while back, it starts using a DOS reading/writing mode, which allows it to continue working, but is slower.

I can't tell from this whether this is a symptom or the source of your trouble, or which drive might be going, but it sounds like your A drive is not the source. Since your messages seem to indicate that all drives may be on DOS mode, it could be just a symptom of a different failure, maybe in the Windows driver software, or maybe the HD itself. If the problem is mechanical and it is the HD, you can thank your stars you are on 98SE instead of XP, since you still have file folders to get into, as long as it still runs, if you need to copy off some vital documents at the last minute.

You could probably do with a boot disk floppy in your A drive at start-up, and see if that allows your computer to boot more normally. If you have a floppy boot disk available, try starting with that in the A drive first and see what you get. If you don't have one, you can probably make a boot disk in your laptop. I think I have a program here I could e-mail you, called Ultimate Boot Disk, if you like, which can make a boot disk for 98SE with some repair utilities that you could use to boot your PC. Or you can get a boot disk utility from CNET's www.download.com.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Offeror,

I have tried an emgergency start up floppy. I even tried to re-load Windows, but when it finished I had the same problem, a totally garbled screen. [V]

njretcop@copmail.com

vic.jpg

Charlie
  • Options
    mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    Is the driver for the monitor loaded? Each monitor has a different "driver." Perhaps when you switched monitors, your computer doesn't have the proper hardware driver and is relating only in DOS mode...

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Mat,

In safe mode, I was able to delete the old monitor and change the device manager to the new one. The driver is in Win 98 and that was loaded.

njretcop@copmail.com

vic.jpg

Charlie
  • Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    If the monitor died, and the back-up monitor shows a garbled screen, I think you should be able to boot in safe mode, go to the video settings and set it to 640 x 480 and re-boot. That should have the back-up monitor running in standard VGA mode and let you see the screen. Sounds like your newer monitor was running in Super VGA mode, and your old one can't.

How you doin'!wolf_evil_smile_md_wht.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Danny,

I'm doing that now.

njretcop@copmail.com

vic.jpg

Charlie
  • Options
    22WRF22WRF Member Posts: 3,385
    edited November -1
    Sound like a refresh rate problem with old monitor.

Is the old monitor PnP

If not your refresh rates may be set wrong on the video card.

Go to control panel (my computer)
    system
    device manager
    and remove your monitor ( the one that went bad should be listed.)

Then reboot and windows should install default monitor

Steel is for guns Tupperware is for leftovers

happy_fc.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Charlie,

I don't have anything on 98 anymore, but I seem to remember doing an F8 on the boot, and there was a way to reset the video setting from that screen. Look and see what you can find. Meanwhile, I'll look for some more information here.

• Options
    edited November -1

Did all that.

Danny,

You're on the right track. I got it open now in 640x480. However, when I went to change it to 800x600, the computer hung on the re-start. When I re-booted it was garbled again. I'm gonna try again

njretcop@copmail.com

vic.jpg

Charlie
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Danny,

Same problem, it runs on the lower setting, but when I try to change it, it goes to "Windows is re-starting" and when it does, it's garbled

njretcop@copmail.com

vic.jpg

Charlie
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Charlie,

I can't find the information, but I had the same problem a few years ago, and There was a way to change the video settings before the boot. I just can't find them. I'm going off GB for a while to see if I can find the information out on the web. The good news is, even if you never get them reset, at least when you hook up another super VGA monitor, everything will be OK.

I'll be back here as soon as I find the information.

• Options
    paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a case of Donut Glaze on the hard drive to me!!![:D][:p]

pa.gif

Rixford.gif

Kids that fish, hunt and trap have never mugged any old ladies!

To Ride, shoot straight,and speak the truth
    This was the Ancient law of Youth
    Old times are past, old times are done:
    But the Law runs true, O little son!
  • Options
    RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try something simple, like turning it off with the switch in back of the computer and then turning it on again after 10 seconds. If you don't have a switch in the back, unplug it and plug it in again.

That worked for me for a while until I replaced my Power Supply box.

Jacksonville.gif
    sniper.gif Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    http://www.awbansunset.com/
    Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • Options
    offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you can get on at 640x480, I'd take advantage of that and back up my files... Monitors do often reflect a power supply problem before any other symptom develops.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I can get on at 640x480, but I cannot get on-line because AOL will not run at that setting.

njretcop@copmail.com

vic.jpg

Charlie
  • Options
    plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    No expert here, but if you can get it up and running -- stay off line for now and take floppys and back up your critical files.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I
    advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives
    boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Games played with the
    ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no
    character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of
    your walks." Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Charlie,

Looks like you are going to have to get a monitor that will run on Super VGA to be able to get that one back online. I can't find any other information.

• Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Almost sounds like a video card problem.

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif