In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

? for hunters

Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,889 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Why is it a bad thing to hunt deer with dogs? I don't get it. Beagles, fox hounds, * hounds, and bird dogs are cool, but stag hounds are bad ?

avitar.jpg
Semper Fi

Remember Ruby Ridge.

Experience is the best teacher and usually charges accordingly.

Edit=btt
I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly

Comments

• bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, for one, deer that have been ran will be very gamey tasting.
    Second, on birds you use a shotgun, on varmits you aren't as worried about shot placement ruining meat. Yes, I guess a person can use buckshot for deer and take 'em on the run.
    I won't even shoot a deer that's walking very fast, but some id10t hunters shoot them when they are running flat out (and then I have to finish them off for them with my .22lr while I'm out rabbit hunting).
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • earthmvrearthmvr Member Posts: 473 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never hunt with dogs, except occasional bird hunt. Personally would never hunt big game with dogs. I prefer the challange of the hunt. I'll probably get some flac for this but it just seems like cheating to me.

4dff19a9.gifc716f163.gif72d96bc6.jpg
    Proud member of the NRA and Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was
  • Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,889 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by earthmvr
    I'll probably get some flac for this but it just seems like cheating to me.

Yes, I understand people consider it "cheating" but why should it be so? Or contrarily, why isn't it cheating to use a * dog, etc ?

avitar.jpg
    Semper Fi

Remember Ruby Ridge.

I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • sitkablacktailsitkablacktail Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't consider it cheating it takes a lot more time to train a dog than it does to get good with a gun.Before guns came around most big game was hunted with dogs. It's a social issue with lots of opinions were no one will agree on both sides.
  • bluegoose11bluegoose11 Member Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have never hunted big game with dogs so I dont know anything about it I was wondering though do the dogs hunt deer like they do hogs and hold them for the hunters Hope I dont upset anyone with my stupidity I really am courious and not trying to upset dog hunters
  • GreenLanternGreenLantern Member Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:some id10t hunters shoot them when they are running flat out

Sounds like a lot of people I know. They see a deer sprinting across a field 200 yds away and 3 or 4 guys open up on it. At best they end up wounding it and watching it go over the next ridge, never to be seen again.

Sometimes, when someone is talking to me, my mind drifts off and I
    start thinking about guns I'd like to own.
  • FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lots of folks in VA love to run dogs because of all the dense thickets. I don't care for it because it usually ruins the hunting for people who don't have dogs and are trying to still hunt. Don't know how many times my day has been ruined by people running their dogs across my land. Also when people are running dogs around you the deer take to bedding down til after dark, and you don't see nothing.
  • Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,889 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DBV
    Lots of folks in VA love to run dogs

It is legal, then? In Indiana a dog that runs a deer twice must be destroyed. I never really understood that.

avitar.jpg
    Semper Fi

Remember Ruby Ridge.

• n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Ever try to hunt raccoon in pitch black dark without a dog, [:p][B)]

You would be barking up the wrong tree everytime..[}:)][}:)]

animatflip.gif

"I dont care how thin you make a pancake, it still has two sides"

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows.
    Hudson.gif
    900.gif
  • laxcoachlaxcoach Member Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    DBV and I are on the same page--- in VA (many counties) it's legal to use dogs and, by default, TRUCKS ! It's simply a license to trespass on posted property, as these so-called hunters release their dogs on the side of the road and let the dogs run through your property, screwing up the still hunter and running every turkey to the highest tree. To make matters worse, these "hunters" rarely ever get further than the side of the road, and use their CB equipped pickups to locate where the deer are going to cross the road. Lord help the little old lady on the way to the store--- she's likely to become a hood ornament on a 4WD trying to head a deer off ! If you want to see a sad sight, come to VA and see the abandoned dogs on the side of the road after deer season goes out or, worse yet take a look at the condition of the dogs in a "deer dog" lot in the off-season !
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,509 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here in the South deer hunting with dogs used to be quite popular. Now, in Ga there are only 2 counties where it is legal, and Ga has 156 counties.
    In S Carolina it is still legal in many counties. A guy I know is in a dog hunting club near Charleston, they hunt every Saturday, during deer season. They shoot buckshot only. He told me, his buddy two weeks prior got a huge 12 point at 30 yards, biggest buck either guy had ever seen. The next week this same guy shot a spotted fawn.
    I said, Why in hell did a guy shoot a spotted fawn?
    He said, There are so many deer, that the big farmers regard them as vermin. In the spring the farmers get crop depredation permits, and go out at night with spotlights and shoot deer by the dozens, and leave them to rot.
    In this part of South Carolina, the deer season lasts 4 and 1/2 months. Three years ago the limit was one buck a day. That is, you could legally shoot 135 bucks. The limit for does was 37. They changed that rule, now there is no daily limit on bucks.
    Why the bird dog is good, the deer dog is bad, I don't know.
    I will leave the dog deer hunting for others, it ain't my style.
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    Deer huntings just deer hunting, you sit, wait, stalk, pattern them. Then your rewarded. Plus running deer are extremely gamey tasting when there heated up. So why hunt if your gonna ruin the meat.

Hunting with dogs is great, just not for deer. Nothing like a hound bawling in a * chase or a beagle in a thicket....

I do understand your question though...

"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • ryan_marineryan_marine Member Posts: 635
    edited November -1
    I have hunted deer with and with out dogs. But the dog that I went hunting with was 9 months old. (just a pup) I just could not tie her up and go hunting. Most of the time she just sat at the base of a tree with me. Only time she chased a deer was when a buddy and I were calling her back and forth so the deer did not run between us. As soon as she started running in the open field I told her to sit and she did. That is when I droped a nice 6 point at 200yrds with my 7mm. This was in North Carolina. That was in 2002. I did not get a chance to go this year out here in california. I will be hunting in souther GA and AL next year.

Ray

More Powder, More Lead, More Dead
  • deerhntrdeerhntr Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hunting Deer with dogs is illegal here in NY, I realy dont see a problem with it.

use_deer.jpg
  • bigt7mmbigt7mm Member Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's all about perception,Henry. I grew up in MI where hunting deer with dogs is akin to child molestation. If you got caught,you were dealt with accordingly.

Now I live in the south where it is perfectly legal and an accepted way of hunting. Would I come here and try to change what they've been doing for hundreds of years? Of course not. When in Rome........

Having said that,put yourself in an anti-hunters place. They think it's ALL bad,evil,cruel,unnecessary,whatever. Get my point? Perception.[;)]

"Been around the world and seen that only stupid people are breeding.The cretins cloning and feeding,and I don't even own a T.V."---Harvey Danger
  • NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm 95% sure its illegal to hunt Deer with Dogs in VA,I will have to check.As far as useing dogs there's nothing like hearing a pair of good beagles on a rabbit's tail.There were some guys who hunted Bear with dogs and killed more than I thought was ethical.But if your dogs goes on to someone elses property,you are supposed to notify the owner and retrieve your dogs with out carrying firearms on the property.

Rugster

"Toujours Pret"
  • HUNT WALKERSHUNT WALKERS Member Posts: 362 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have never been deer or hog hunting with a dog, so there is no way I will condemn it. I cannot explain how much enjoyment I get from listining to nice hounds work a track, or seeing my boys face when we get to the dogs after they have treed and he shoots out a * or two. Or seeing the folks from all over the country that we take pheasant hunting and they swear that a Lab won't point and are worthless for anything but a water dog. There is just no way to describe the excitement and satisfaction that you get from listening to and watching good dogs work, knowing that you have worked very hard also to make the dogs what they have finished into. I can understand why people that don't hunt deer with dogs tend to get upset because everyone has their own style of hunting, but I have no problem with hunting deer,bear,mountain lion,* or what ever with a dog.
  • jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1
    I think it is generally considered necessary to have the aid of a dog in some hunting circumstances, while in others, your hunting skill is all that should be necessary.
    I hunt pheasants with a dog. Without the dog I would be lucky to see a pheasant because they are few and far between in this part of the country. I love the taste of pheasant, so the alternative is unacceptable.
    Deer are also pretty scarce in these parts. But I am always able to find one or two. They can't hide as easily as a pheasant. I don't see the need for a dog on a deer hunt. Maybe it is geographical?? But I hunt deer on the plains where I live, and I hunt them in the rocky mountains two hours away. Geographical extremes, yet still no need for a dog.
    I really can't think of a reason why you would need a dog for deer. Anybody?

"If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my child may have peace" -Thomas Paine

If the people have become so apathetic that they will not vote out all the liberal scum (republican and democrat alike), the only solution is Constitutional Convention II the sequel. Let's get it right this time.
  • cowdoccowdoc Member Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    guess i dont know why a person would want a dog on a big game hunt,have the dog * a very nice buck for me and the dog would get the bullet instead.

Highmore.gif
  • rcrxmike_2rcrxmike_2 Member Posts: 3,275
    edited November -1
    * dogs, etc 'corner prey, detect it so forth. A dog will run a deer til it's exhausted, then chew at for a while......quote:Originally posted by Henry0Reilly
    Why is it a bad thing to hunt deer with dogs? I don't get it. Beagles, fox hounds, * hounds, and bird dogs are cool, but stag hounds are bad ?

avitar.jpg
    Semper Fi

Remember Ruby Ridge.

Edit=btt

JOIN PETA! (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS) I didn't climb to the top of the food chain to have a salad and spring water!
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Man, I wish this snow would melt so I can take Rebel out[V] It has been a month since I have heard that bawl, then the screaming chop on tree. I need a fix, maybe I'll go trap one and tie it up on the kennel just so I can hear the ol boy work[:D]

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif