In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Steaks to pork.

daddodaddo Member Posts: 3,408
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Went to the store today to load up on some beef. Instead, I loaded up on very little cheaper cuts of beef, but bought a lot of pork. I ain't paying $8.00 a lb for T-bone. Filet mignon was $19.98 a lb. I bought a chuck roast 2" thick and cut it in half to make two chuck steaks @ $1.98 lb.
Even round steak was $4.78 a lb! When is this going to be over? My body won't last without MEAT!

Comments

• susiesusie Member Posts: 7,474 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you have a freezer that is large enough, invest in a side of beef, cut to your specifications, or an entire steer. If you are in an area where there are cattle farms nearby, befriend a farmer and see if you could buy directly from him/her. Cut out the middle man so to speak. This way you will know the quality of the beef you are getting and its origins. You can do the same with pork. Processing (to include slaughter) for us cost roughly $120 so you would need to add that onto the cost of the beef on hoof. Beef was going for .89 (cows) to $1.02 (feeder steers) a pound the last time I checked. With the mad cow scare I'm not sure what prices are now. Check around.

***KATN!***
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Or befriend a hunter to get you some of the leanest red-meat available!

The 10mm - either you've got it, or you don't get it...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    My sentiments exactly! Venison man Venison!!!

pa.gif

Rixford.gif

LIFES MOSTLY SCARS AND SOUVENIR'S - Max Stalling

To Ride, shoot straight,and speak the truth
    This was the Ancient law of Youth
    Old times are past, old times are done:
    But the Law runs true, O little son!
  • DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Deer Here! Only buy beef when I run out...

"I AM MY OWN WORST ENEMY"
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,871 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    We buy our beef from our neighbor. $1.00 a pound hanging. The cutter charges $.38 to cut and wrap.

Aberdeen.gif
    81st FA BN WWII...Thanks Dad
    U!S!A! ALL THE WAY!!
  • rcrxmike_2rcrxmike_2 Member Posts: 3,275
    edited November -1
    guy up the street raises red deer....3 bucks a pound, hangin wt......quote:Originally posted by daddo
    Went to the store today to load up on some beef. Instead, I loaded up on very little cheaper cuts of beef, but bought a lot of pork. I ain't paying $8.00 a lb for T-bone. Filet mignon was $19.98 a lb. I bought a chuck roast 2" thick and cut it in half to make two chuck steaks @ $1.98 lb.
    Even round steak was $4.78 a lb! When is this going to be over? My body won't last without MEAT!

JOIN PETA! (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS) I didn't climb to the top of the food chain to have a salad and spring water!
  • NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ive been wanting to raise a steer through the summer,Ive got enough land to give him good pasture.But I know my wife would try to make a pet out of it.

Rugster

"Toujours Pret"
  • Warpig883Warpig883 Member Posts: 6,459
    edited November -1
    quote:If you have a freezer that is large enough, invest in a side of beef, cut to your specifications, or an entire steer. If you are in an area where there are cattle farms nearby, befriend a farmer and see if you could buy directly from him/her. Cut out the middle man so to speak. This way you will know the quality of the beef you are getting and its origins. You can do the same with pork. Processing (to include slaughter) for us cost roughly $120 so you would need to add that onto the cost of the beef on hoof. Beef was going for .89 (cows) to $1.02 (feeder steers) a pound the last time I checked. With the mad cow scare I'm not sure what prices are now. Check around.

I just bought 1/2 a cow and had the whole thing ground up into burger. The total cost per pound was exactly 1 cent less than I can buy burger for in the store. I am still pissed.

I am not a number I am a free man

sig

Volin.gif
  • daddodaddo Member Posts: 3,408
    edited November -1
    If the prices keep going up, I can see a "black market" for beef.[8D]
    Who is getting the money in all this? The rancher, the slaughter house, distributor, the market, or the government? What exactly are the higher prices paying for?
  • JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dont forget when you buy a side of beef hanging weight you are paying premium price for bones, liver, fat, and cuts that might not be so dsirable. I find it is best to watch for specials and stock up on the kind of cuts you desire.
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Invest in your own grinder, slicer and band saw and only buy sides. Cut it and grind it the way you want it.

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif