In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ford 4x4 Hub question

deerhntrdeerhntr Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I am going to convert my Bronco with automatic hubs to Manual Hubs
and wonder whats involved. Do i have to get into the spindle nut removal and rotors? or is it just a Drop in conversion like my 85 K5 blazer was? Thanks in advance.

use_deer.jpg96EB.jpg

Comments

• kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    It should be a drop-in. I seem to remember the Warn kits switching in pretty easy. Can't be sure though, seein' how its a Ford and all[;)]

orst-title-1.gif

SUPPORT THE I.N.S. , THE COUNTRY THEY SAVE COULD BE YOUR OWN
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    I changed lock outs on a bronco some years back and I'm pretty sure they are just like changing them on a mid 80 chevy. Shouldn't have any trouble.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My F150 was just a drop in deal, factory auto junks to Warns in 1/2 hour.

Right now I have to remove the drive axles from the fron t of my straight axle Chevy and change bearings and u-joints in them. From the noise I got in the front I am afraid a race is shot and hope it didn't get to the casting[:0] Can we say CLUNK CLUNK BANG BANG in the front end when in 4X4 mode!

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
    edited November -1
    7mm- Check the bolts that hold the diff carrier in place. On the Dana axles (Dana60's if remember correctly) they use on the GM and Dodge 4x4's it is quite common for the bolts to stretch/break. As soon as you put any load on the axle the gears jump tooth and make a whole lotta clunking

orst-title-1.gif

edited November -1
    10-4 KJ, I do know for a fact it has bad hub bearings and bad u-joints because when you get under it and push the axle with a screwdriver it flops around!

The bolt you are referring to, is it the one that holds the cross pin in place? I am thinking about just rebuilding the entire dang thing[:(!]

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
    edited November -1
    No, inside the diff housing there is two shackles and four bolts that hold the differential assy in the housing. The bolts will stretch and let the ring and pinion jump tooth when you put a load on it. If you take the "pumpkin" cover off the four bolts will be right up front. If you got over 75K miles on the truck you might want to think about changing the bolts anyways. You can usually see a LOT of stretching on the bolts. If you lost your U-joints you might want to change out the axle seals too. I know its a lot of work, but when the joints go they tend to let the axles bang up the seals real bad. When you put the new U-joints in the seals often leak like a sieve because the seals have been hogged out.

orst-title-1.gif

edited November -1
    Ok, gotcha. I was also thinking the the "C" clips may be bad with all the axle slopping in there, Like I said, sounds like time for a complete overhaul[V] Thanks for the tip on the bolts, will be hard to set clearances on the pinion if the bolts are bad eh?

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
    edited November -1
    quote:Thanks for the tip on the bolts, will be hard to set clearances on the pinion if the bolts are bad eh?

Yep[:D] I don't remember what the thread pitch is but imagine a 1/2-20 bolt stretching till it looks like a 1/2-13. The part of the bolt that doesn't thread into the axle housing will stretch out really bad and even bottleneck[:0]

orst-title-1.gif

edited November -1
    Why i don't just swallow my pride and head to a dealer and get a new one with warrenty I will never know! Too cheap I guess[:D] the thought of spending more than I paid for my house on a new truck is frightening.

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
    edited November -1
    Yep, I'm a cheapo too. The Nissan dealer called me to see if I'd be interested in buying a new car/truck (my girlfriend had just bought one from them), I told him that my Chevy was almost 20yrs old and that it'd get to retire when it turns 63 just like the rest of us[8D][;)][:D]

orst-title-1.gif

edited November -1