In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

.223 gun choice advice and opinions wanted

plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Me again. I want to call upon the collective knowledge, experience, and wisdom of GB members. One day I am going to break down and buy that rust proof bolt action and .223 makes the most sense (lots of ammo, handles reloads well, small enough with a FMJ bullet to not cause too much damage as a dispatch firearm yet with ballistic tips or hollow points good enough for most varmits, and of course with the right bullet can make a blood leaking wound or blow out the lungs or a heart of medium size game. Remember know this is the rifle that will ride in my truck, on a sling on my back on a ATV or in my scabbard on my horse, in my canoe etc. So one of the following are in the running. Give me your vote and reason why:

A: CZ 527 Varmint Kevlar

B: Remington 700LVSF Varmint, Stainless Fluted 223

C: Remington Light Varmint 223 Rem Stainless

D: Savage 12BVSS-sxp .223 Stainless w/Scope 223

E: Ruger M-77 Stainless Synthetic .223 w/ sling 223

F: Weatherby Super Predator Master 223

G: The WAY TOO MUCH $$Sako M75 Varmint Stainless / Laminate - .223

Personally I am leaning to the Weatherby as I have the same gun in .308, but would like to hear from everyone that is willing or has an opinion. Thanks GB guys and gals.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I
advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives
boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Games played with the
ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no
character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of
your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Comments

• temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From the uses you have described I would buy the Rem.LVSF. It should shoot well.It looks like a scaled down version of the Rem.VSSF. I have several of the VSSFs and they are all less than 1/2" guns, but to big and bulky to tote around on everything.The Weatherby is a good gun,but overpriced for the performance. The Remington will do anything it will performance wise for alot less money that you can use towards a quality scope and the stainless/synthetic will hold up well in weather and bouncing around in and out of trucks and on ATVs,etc.......Just my two cents.......Good Luck.......[8D]
  • Big StickBig Stick Member Posts: 77 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm sweet on the 223 and 223Ackley and think highly of the S/S Model Seven for the tasks you mention...................
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    I'm a big Weatherby fan.

God Bless America and...
    NEVER Forget WACO
    NEVER, EVER Forget 911
  • jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    What swayed you to the .223 over the .243?
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As a Remington fan I have to tell you that I would go Remington, model is up to you[:D]

You are going to think I am nutz but here is my reccomendation for the 223, 55G Nosler Balistic Tips loaded fast. Why? As a varmint load they are very deadly and will not over travel. Also on the bigger animals, (cough cough) inside reasonable ranges they will open up a rib cage on impact to the size of a softball and turn the lungs into mush, a shoulder shot will have amazing results as well. Only use FMJ if you want to chase the animal and shoot it several times. Believe me, I have done this with the Bal Tips many times. The key to the multi use of the 223 is ammo choice, poor ammo choice has left many with bad opinions of the 223. For me I have found that the 55G bal Tip will blow up whistle pigs and kill a you know what easily if you stay within good range. Do not try any shots over 200 yards on you know whats[:D]

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif