In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Who would you trust?

Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
An American who was born and raised here or a Jamaican immigrant that only recently obtained his citizenship in the last five years?

I went to work for an independant contractor that is leased to the company I am signed on with. The contractor owns the truck and is responsible for paying me for driving it. The contractor is an American born and raised here, well it seems that he is a crook, I find this out from several people that warned me about him when they saw me driving his truck, the guy doesnt pay his workers. As of right now he owes me a tad over $1000 of unpaid wages, sooooo I parked his truck back at his place and came home, now lets see how he likes losing money, truck aint moving he aint gettin paid.

I got home and called the company and explained to them that I was thru with contractor 599 and I either needed a new contractor to drive for or I would just drive a company truck. My dispatcher says he got someone in mind that needs a driver so he asks if it is OK if he has the contractor call me, no problem! An hour or so later we get a call, the wife answers it and as I stand by listening to her I hear her gettin mad and ready to hang up the phone, I get the phone from her and she whispers to me in a low but still angry voice "I can't understand a word he is saying!", I get on the phone and here is this lousy plain english speaking man on the other end wanting to know if I am a truck driver needing a truck. I tell him yes and after a few minutes of trying to figure out what he is saying I realize he is the contractor my dispatcher had call me.

We worked out a deal and I have to go pick up his truck tomorrow and get back to hauling trash. I call my dispatcher back and ask him where the heck this guy is from, he says jamaica but for some reason I don't think so, Jamaicans can usually speak better english than this guy. Ohh well, gonna go to work for him and see how it works out. Hope I can trust this guy to pay me!!!!!!

Hey mon, gonna go haul dat garbage mon!

line2.gif
email2b.gif
hillbilly.gif

Comments

• Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    Honor knows no racial/ethnic bounds.

Neither does criminality.

God Bless America and...
    NEVER Forget WACO
    NEVER, EVER Forget 911
  • WagionWagion Member Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would trust the guy with cash that paid me upfront.

If force ain't work'n... Your not use'n nough of it.
    I know the spelling is bad but guess what I DON'T CARE
  • rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    He owes you money and you gave him his truck back? I'd slap a lien on that mofo.

aliens.jpg
  • crosshaircrosshair Member Posts: 635 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would make him pay his $1,000 one way or another even in damages would satify me!

Believe nothing that you hear and only one half of what you see!!

I'm Just One Man Talking!
  • HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    I have a problem, I believe in people, sometimes too much - but there's only 4 persons I really trust.

Money is of less importance - as long as I'm happy with what I do.
    But not getting paid for a month.. equals no work the next month or until appropriate payment arrives.

polarbear.gif
    Don't do anything that I've allready done - That'd be just plain STOOOOOOPID.
  • kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rldowns3
    He owes you money and you gave him his truck back? I'd slap a lien on that mofo.Got that right! And I sure as heck wouldn't have parked it at his place ... I'd have left it illegally parked somewhere then called and complained so it would have gotten towed/impounded [}:)]

Chance favors the prepared mind [8D]

Topeka.gif
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    7mm, jerks and good folks come in all varieties of people. As long as the new guy pays you and treats you fairly, why worry about his English? I've met many *LEGAL* immigrants, not the grandfathered ones from the (not so) "Great Amnesty Program," who could hardly speak a word after twenty years here, often very successful years catering to their own ethnic group. And I've met several who speak better English than most of us "fresh off the boat."

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the French." (Mark Twain) ". . . And DemoCraps" (me)
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Those who asked my I took his truck back to him, federal law will rape anyone who plays games with a CMV. If he was to press charges that I stole it that carries a stiff penalty in a federal prison. Also truck abandoment is a serious charge on a DAC report that will screw up chances at other employment in a big way. Best to give him his truck back and walk away and let the lawyers get the money for you. I already have the papers necassary from the magistrate in his town to file on him, gonna sue him into the next century! I'm just waiting to hear from the legal team at OOIDA.

Now as far as the next contractor, only problem I see right away is understanding what he says, if he pays me then there won't be a problem. Now it does sound better than the last contractor, he says he pays $200 a trip instead of the $170 the other guy paid(or so he said he paid) so that will bring me to $1200 a week instead of $1020 a week and still be home everyday. I'll give it a try but he needs to try and speak better english, isnt that right mon?[:D]

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif