In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Crotch Rocket experts: Honda CBR 600

idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I've never been on a motorcycle before. I've never even been a passenger except maybe when I was 5 years old but don't remember it.

Anyways. A friend offered to sell me his bike. I am certain that he wouldn't give me an overpriced lemon. The bike looks absolutely mint. However, it's a 1992 Honda CBR 600 with 22,000 miles on it. He had an over-sized cam installed and he had someone "jet" it. I have no idea what that means. I don't know much about motorcycles but it is in cosmetically perfect shape. He is asking $3,000 and I am wondering if it's worth it. I told him I'd buy it NEXT spring if he still had it.

Comments

• n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    "Jet" it means he had the carbs re-jetted to allow more fuel air mixture, to increase the horsepower a bit. Milage is OK but I would think 3 grand is a bit steep for a 12 year old bike.

Here are the figures from NADA"

Model: CBR600F2N
    Piston Displacement (CCs): 600
    Stroke: 4
    Cylinders: 4
    Speeds: 6
    Dry Weight: 405
    Low Retail: $1,950
    Average Retail: $2,565
    These figures are compiled from bikes that are dealer conditioned .

eagle.gifsam.jpg
    "It is hard to soar with Eagles when your surrounded by Turkeys"

"I dont care how thin you make a pancake, it still has two sides"

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows.
    Hudson.gif
    900.gif
  • hawkeye6020hawkeye6020 Member Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    look on ebay, i don't think he is to far out of line. the "jets" in the carb are what the fuel flow through it. he put in a larger cam so he had to put in larger jets to keep it from running "lean".

know to get up on the soap box, if you have never rode a bike before i would suggest you get something cheeper and easyer to ride. IMO sport bikes are not that easy to ride. maybe get a honda cb550 or something like it to learn to ride on and take a bike riding course. some states will give you a break on insurance if you have taken one. anyway thats the advice i give to anyone who wants to learn to ride.

mike

"Life is not a journey to the grave wtih the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body,

But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming

-WOW- WHAT A RIDE!!!!!"
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    for 3 grand ya can get a real nice Harley Sportster, [:D] and I would recommend something a bit heavier than the 600 . too much speed and not enough bike.. just my opinion, course I am prejudiced .

eagle.gifsam.jpg
    "It is hard to soar with Eagles when your surrounded by Turkeys"

"I dont care how thin you make a pancake, it still has two sides"

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows.
    Hudson.gif
    900.gif
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Classic--I saw you responded to my post and I just HAD to open it right away [:D] I'll admit, I expected to get lambasted by you [:D]

I appreciate the NADA info. I'll talk him down to $2,250. He had a silver Ducati 750 Monster and a Harley Sportster sitting next to it in his basement.

A guy in my office bought a tiny Ninja and he's never been on a bike before. Nick offered to teach me how to ride it before I buy it and I'm DEFINITELY taking a rider's course before I take it out on my own.
  • bigtirebigtire Member Posts: 24,800
    edited November -1
    I would not get a crotch rocket for you first bike. They can get away from you REAL fast if you don't know what you are doing. For a little more you could get a nice 883 sportster as a first bike. Then graduate to a bigger v-twin. [:D]

From85-01.jpgTosoftair-eagle.jpg
    And everything in between.
  • trusta45trusta45 Member Posts: 516 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    $3,000.00 is about right with that mileage.I had a CBR-600F3 a few years back and it was 100% reliable in all the time I had it and as hard as I was on it.Offer him $2,500.00 and get him to that number.$3,000.00 isnt bad but try for less always.Its a pretty good starter bike but watch out.Those 600's can get you into some real trouble real fast.Those jap 600's sure are quick though.I checked my book the 1992 is the F2 model it weighs 453 pounds wet,has 100 HP at the motor and around 79HP @ 11,500 rpm to the pavement,39.9 lb.-ft. torque @ 10,000 so it will run hard.I started on a 185cc street bike when I was 14 but was big enough to control a bike just like this when I was 16.There are better starter bikes but as long as you control your throttle you should be ok.Dont go thinking you have been riding for 10 years when its only been 6 months.Control is the key.Bike crashes even at very low speeds hurt to say the least and they can kill you at 20 mph.Its all in how you fall.And you will sooner or later.
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Idsman, they are telling you not to get a crotch rocket for your first bike for a reason. That CBR is like a minature rocket, very wheelie prone and quick. Infact many of the 600 class bikes will beat the big hammers(1000cc) in the quarter mile. They are fast and deadly, only thing they are lacking is the top speed dept and you can still expect 150-160MPH out of that bike. Not to rag on you but if you never rode a bike before stay off of that thing, I'm serious, it will hurt you. Do like Classic said, get an 883 Sporter Harley(man I don't believe I just said that) for the same money. That bike has about enough power to get you up to 80MPH and won't get away from you when you crack it in first gear like that CBR will. And BTW, cracking that CBR in the lower gears is not as easy to avoid as one may think, in 1st 2nd and 3rd gears those bikes are explosive! If you want to save money go with something like a Virago or a similar bike, they look good and run better then the 883s and cost half as much. If my opnion means anyting to you stay off of that CBR untill you get some miles under your can, please!

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
  • mpolansmpolans Member Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That price sounds fair...not a super good deal, but you're not taking it in the shorts either. I used to have a 92 CBR600F2...it was a sweet bike. Probably the best handling, most confidence-inspiring chassis of its era.
    Like most of the crowd here says, it can be a handful for a newbie, especially if you lack self-control. That said, if you don't try to ride like a * and take an MSF course, and stay off the throttle till you get used to riding, I think you'll be okay.
    Unlike some of the others here, I wouldn't necessarily recommend a Harley, or another bike because "its a bit heavier." While really not a big issue once you get moving, for a newbie, a lighter bike is often easier to get used to, especially when balancing at a stop. The brakes on my CBR were head and shoulders above those on my 96 Sportster. My CBR handled several orders of magnitude better than my 96 Sportster and gave me the confidence that I could avoid things that I would not be able to with the Sportster. The Sportster (883) vibrated like a paint-shaker at around 80-85mph...The CBR was smooth as silk.

FYI, the 883 Sportster topped out a 99mph on a warm, sunny Montana summer day, fully loaded with me and saddlebags. The CBR600F2 topped out at around 145mph (I think my gearing wasn't stock though).
  • plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    Ids

I have ridden motorcycle since I was 9. Started on a Trail 90 and now ride a 1100cc BMW.

Don't buy this bike!! You will die, be permanently disabled, or at a minimum crash and ruin the bike and take all the skin off your be hind.

You really need to start on a smaller bike. Motorcycle riding school is not enough. You need to develop skills, they just don't come from a school. Until you understand the principals of braking and countersteering don't even crawl on a bike.

I love bikes. I love to ride. I want you to have the same addiction I have, but for the love of God, go slow, start small. 300 - 450 ccs.

Keep the rubber side down

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I
    advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives
    boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Games played with the
    ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no
    character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of
    your walks." Thomas Jefferson
  • kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    Yep, get a slower bike, 600+ cc bikes are really tempermental and quick, for a novice it's a recipe for disaster. PS: I took a ride on a new Yamaha R1 a while back, that was an insanely fast bike. Get your skills down on a bike that ain't gonna kill ya then get something to fit your tastes.

orst-title-1.gif

SUPPORT THE I.N.S. , THE COUNTRY THEY SAVE COULD BE YOUR OWN
  • bsallybsally Member Posts: 3,165
    edited November -1
    3 grand is way too high for that bike. 22,000 miles is a lot for a sport bike. Pass or get down much closer to $2000.

I will disagree about it being too much bike for your first. My first was a '92 FZR600. The 600's around now are faster than my '92 FZR1000, but that bike is not even close to todays bikes. Go for it. It can be handled by anyone easily. You already said you intend on taking a rider class, and that is a great idea. Do you have a motorcycle license. In Illinois the test isn't possible with a sportbike. But that is another story.[}:)] If you have to take a test, find a small bike to do it with.

SALLY
    Committee member-Ducks Unlimited
  • IAMACLONE_2IAMACLONE_2 Member Posts: 4,725
    edited November -1
    The CBR600 is a fast MoFo! Usually most have been beat to death (from high speeds). If the engine is good and body is in perfect condition I would say around $2,500 is a good price.
    Really too fast & light for a novice!
    The CBR600 likes to do 90mph+ wheelstands when you dont expect it also, just be careful.
    Walte
  • InvictaInvicta Member Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For $3000 you could probably get something newer. 22000 miles is a lot for a sportbike. If you really want the cbr though i would ask the seller to come down in price a bit. Also checkout www.sportbikes.net, i'm sure you can get some help there.
    edited November -1
    In the last 12 years all I have owned is crotch rockets, my first being a Kawasaki ZX6. Anyone that tells you a novice can handle a 600CC sportbike as a novice is nutz! The 600CC sportbikes are not built for novices, they are built for short track roadracing. They are short wheelbased which makes them want to be a uni cycle more than anyting else, the 600CC engines that are built for the sportbikes rev so quick it can redline in the lower gears before you know it. Those bikes are nasty quick on the lowend, minature rockets. Even the bikes in the 1992 standards are fast and will all but keep up with the new ones. Fact, a Yamaha R6 will beat a Yamaha R1 in the 1320, it will also out handle it in many situations. It is quicker than the larger bikes but will not hit the top speeds the bigger bikes are made for.

Don't do it unless you KNOW you can handle it. Believe me I know, my first one almost killed me and I was experianced. 100MPH feels like 50MPH on those things and it will get away from you. I am a throttle jockey who loves crotch rockets but I also fear and respect them for what they are, FFFFFFFFAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
  • Big StickBig Stick Member Posts: 77 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I too went through the Crotch Rocket Phase and bought a slightly used and highly tuned(by a Yamaha Pro Race Wrench) FZR600.

She was a wonderfully wicked contraption and was more rungs up the performance ladder than I had any business dealing with.

Long story short,I got a half hour out of it,before I took a corner wayyyyyyy too hot and bailed off as it tried to high side me. Bailing was perhaps one of the few smart things I'd done up to that point in my life(grin). I ricocheted off a guard rail and lit in a wounded heap,in the middle of the road. I broke parts I didn't even know I had,but was/am thankful and luckily suffered no permanent damage(though my Wife might could debate brain damage!).

I had dick for experience on bikes,that one caught my eye and I cut the check and drove off into the sunset. My half hour of fun managed to erase my desire for another ride and that might could be the second smartest thing I'd done up to that point of my life(grin).

I gave the bike to a buddy and half assedly sponsored him in the local Drag Competitions. He had the skills and know how,that were beyond my means and I was much content to watch.

Point is,I savvy the desire and also the consequences. It was impossible for me not to bang through the gear box like an old pro and twist on the wrist in sixth.

Only took me a half hour to come to my senses..................(grin)
    edited November -1
    quote:Fact, a Yamaha R6 will beat a Yamaha R1 in the 1320,

You are joking, right? It may be there at half track, but a 600 will never top end the 1000. Stock for stock. It is like saying a 6 banger mustang is faster then the 4.9 because you beat him to the other side of the intersection. Nuts I say![:D]
    I guess I should clarify. A new 600 will beat my 92 FZR1000 in the 1/4, but that is what 12 years of technology has done.

SALLY
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Like the others have said, I had a highly tuned F-3 (till it was stolen and crashed) Is a great bike! But first time out get something mello like a dual sport (dirt/street). Out of the honda line, The newer street bike's like the 600f-4 900RR's etc are more rider foregiving if ya twitch at high speed that the older models.

130 mph on wide open space is fun, Till you see a dog or cat in your path. Then it's not so fun. Think street leagle dirt bike, and get the best of bolth worlds [:D] [:D] [:D] You would be supprised at how much dirt bike skills can be applyed to street riding! Be safe have fun!

gun.gif
    Those who live by the
    sword get shot by those who don't.

[img][/img]Santa_Cruz.gif
    edited November -1
    Bsally, when Cycle World tested the R6 and the R1 in 2002 the R6 beat the R1 in the quarter. Beat it off the line and was first across the finish. I'll go thru my old mags and find the report and scan it for you.

It is not the same as comparing cars, a 600CC sportbike is a lighter frame with a faster revving engine. Where the big bikes come in is sustained high speeds and in MOST cases handling as well as nearing the 200MPH mark. The big bikes are built for long hard racing on tracks they can wind them out on, the 600s are built for the short tracks and quarter mile. Have you ever noticed in the NHRA bracket racing that there are more 600CC class bikes in ETK or Heavy street than there are 100CC bikes? Now on a different note the Suzuki Hyabusa GSXR1300 wil toast the R6, ZX6, CBR600 or any other street bike put up against it. The Hyabusa is God on two wheels, and I'm gonna have one this spring[;)][;)][;)][;)]

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
    edited November -1
    7mm - not according to this. Not once in my long motorcycle life have I ever seen a stock 1000 loose to a stock 600. Unless the 1000 hit the limiter, missed a gear, short shifted, or was just a crappy rider.[:D]

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/performancedata/

SALLY
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bsally & 7mm nut

You guys are both right Power/Weight Vs. Rider that says it all.
    Peace [:)]

gun.gif
    Those who live by the
    sword get shot by those who don't.

[img][/img]Santa_Cruz.gif
  • kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    The one downside on the R1 was the really high 1st gear, it'd hit 84-86mph at redline. Made it a little sluggish till it hit about 20 mph then it was all I could do to keep the nose down. The 600-750cc engines tend to be really peaky and the power will come on suddenly. If you have a lot of experience you anticipate the powerband without thinking about it, if you're a newbie you might pull a 12 o'clock and fall over or get going quicker than planned and hit something/somebody. If you are careful, a 600 can be a decent first bike, but for most folks its a recipe for tickets or injuries[:I]

orst-title-1.gif

SUPPORT THE I.N.S. , THE COUNTRY THEY SAVE COULD BE YOUR OWN
    edited November -1
    If you look, they tested a '01 R6 and only an '02 R1.

The '02 R1 passed the quarter in 10.07 @ 142.13MPH
    The '01 R6 passed the quarter in 10.75 @ 127.6 MPH

A difference that 10#s in driver weight could change that! And looking at that you tell me where the major difference is in bike performance between an R6 and an R1. They tested the '03 R6 and it was even slower than the '01 R6, I would say rider weight and or experiance will change that. In the quarter mile measured on the street between regualar riders will the see a time difference of .68 seconds? Those 600 can rock in the quarter with the big boys! And cycle world had their rider beat the R1 with an R6!

The CBRs still performed in the sub 11 second range with speeds in the upper 120 mphs! Even the CBR 600 in 01 beat the R6 in times. Tell me those things don't fly! Riders can change those number real fast and the times posted on that site should show that even a 600CC sportbike is no beginners bike!![:D][:D][:D]

Now this sping after I get my Busa broke in you wanna hit some straight stretches??!! VVVVVARROOOOOMMMMMMMM!![:D][:D]

You know, if those Harley guys would look at those times in there maybe they would realize it doesnt take tattoos, long hari and the ability to drink large quantities of beer to be a badass, lets see how many of them crap their drawers on one of those bikes[;)][;)] Stir stir stir

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif