In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Procrastinators Challenge

mag00mag00 Member Posts: 4,719 ✭✭
edited April 2018 in General Discussion
Took me a couple weeks to get around to this topic. I'll post the pictures tomorrow.

My most recent project on hold due to procrastination is hooking up my spoolgun for aluminum welding.

Here is a small list of reasons

1 Garage is a mess
2 welder is in the house and real heavy to move
3 should make a welding cart first
4 should clean and repair metal press brake to make nice welding cart
5 need a paintbooth to paint welding cart
6 need to roof section to build paintbooth

So maybe today I will either weld in the house or drag the equipment out to the garage. Just praying for a phone call to distract me [:D]

Comments

• Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm out of projects to work on at this time.

A while back I decided to repair every small engine that I own that's not running or running poorly.

So during that time I cleaned and and installed a carb kit along with new gas lines in my Honda trail bike.

I replaced the carburetor on my Craftsman and Toro self propelled lawn mowers.

I also cleaned the carb and installed a carb kit in my old 3 hp Johnson outboard motor along with installing new coils, plug wires etc.

Then I cleaned the carb and gas tank on my Coleman generator that hadn't been started in over 15 years.

Then I fixed my old Homelite chainsaw that hadn't been started since 1995. That chainsaw was the hardest one of the all. Trying to get all the parts back inside the case was a bear.

During this time I've also reloaded more ammo than I'll ever need so I don't need to do any more reloading for quiet a while. I also cleaned and repaired every old Mitchell fishing reel in my collection.

I also installed 2 new storm doors on our house that my wife had been nagging me about for sometime.

Now that everything is working I'm going to have to tear something up so I'll have something to fix. This retirement thing is not easy. [:D]
  • Options
    riflemikeriflemike Member Posts: 10,599
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mag00
    Took me a couple weeks to get around to this topic. I'll post the pictures tomorrow.

My most recent project on hold due to procrastination is hooking up my spoolgun for aluminum welding.

Here is a small list of reasons

1 Garage is a mess
    2 welder is in the house and real heavy to move
    3 should make a welding cart first
    4 should clean and repair metal press brake to make nice welding cart
    5 need a paintbooth to paint welding cart
    6 need to roof section to build paintbooth

So maybe today I will either weld in the house or drag the equipment out to the garage. Just praying for a phone call to distract me [:D]

im gonna wait to reply to this
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,413 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Smitty500mag
    I'm out of projects to work on at this time.

A while back I decided to repair every small engine that I own that's not running or running poorly.

So during that time I cleaned and and installed a carb kit along with new gas lines in my Honda trail bike.

I replaced the carburetor on my Craftsman and Toro self propelled lawn mowers.

I also cleaned the carb and installed a carb kit in my old 3 hp Johnson outboard motor along with installing new coils, plug wires etc.

Then I cleaned the carb and gas tank on my Coleman generator that hadn't been started in over 15 years.

Then I fixed my old Homelite chainsaw that hadn't been started since 1995. That chainsaw was the hardest one of the all. Trying to get all the parts back inside the case was a bear.

During this time I've also reloaded more ammo than I'll ever need so I don't need to do any more reloading for quiet a while. I also cleaned and repaired every old Mitchell fishing reel in my collection.

I also installed 2 new storm doors on our house that my wife had been nagging me about for sometime.

Now that everything is working I'm going to have to tear something up so I'll have something to fix. This retirement thing is not easy. [:D]

Smitty, you are welcome anytime to come for a visit to my house![:D]

I'll even make sure that you will never find yourself bored with nothing to do![:0]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I guess I didn't put the challenge up. I'll figure it out soon and post it up.

Meanwhile, just finished hooking the welder up, and commenced to fry the tip on the gun. OH well, time for lunch. Then later it's off to the motorcycle show at the Pima Air and Space Museum. Now that is some top shelf Procrastination. [:D]
  • Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,915 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you can weld aluminum you're a good man[8D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Went to the Triumph show at Pima A&S and it was fun. They even had a rock climbing wall, such fun.

Before I left I did run a couple passes, achieved what I wanted to today. The welder will work, and I will need a bit of practice to get it set proper and lay down some pretty welds. But for the second try on a new machine, not having aluminum spoolgun experience I am quite satisfied.

It started out cold, then was OK then got hot. Looks like I need to move faster, maybe run a bit more wire and a longer stickout. I had turned down the argon for the second pass and that helped some. May look into a larger nozzle to get better gas coverage without the pressure.

I have seen spoolgun welds that were awesome, so this is not an acceptable finished product. I'll giver a workout throughout the week.

aluminum-welding-2.jpg
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will come up with a smart alec reply to this post as soon as I quit procrastinating
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,065 ******
    edited November -1
    ....start by sleepin in til noon,then get it done,,[;)][;)]
  • Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep, procrastination caught up with me today; I finally got around to cleaning the chairs on our back porch. Dang, what a job, they were yellow from all of the pine pollen.

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,126 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    mag00 - Planning to build the cart where the welder sits [:D]? That way after it's built and welded you can just pop it on and roll it away.

As for this challenge. My life is a constant procrastination. So I win?
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will read this next week and post a response by July.
  • Options
    buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    easier to weld in the house. just get it over with. [;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Next up is finishing the parts washer. Should have everything I need to do this project. Old large stainless double wide single basin, 20 gallon drum, stainless lid and hinge material and a pump. Sounds easy right?

Well, getting a good nights rest is key to a sharp mind, I may have to sleep till noon too [:D]

Then it's Sunday, a good day to meet up with other riders for breakfast down near the border and shoot the sheet.
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Law and Order SVU is on!!!![:D] Come to south Jersey and I will take you Bass fishing. I got three private farm ponds to fish. All have large bass in them. [;)]
  • Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cleaning up that garage is a big one.
    "What is truth?'
  • Options
    fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,893 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll do it tomorrow.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I should be announcing the winner tomorrow, really!
  • Options
    skicatskicat Member Posts: 14,431
    edited November -1
    I'll finish reading this later.
  • Options
    Mark GMark G Member Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was going to read this when it was first posted but I put it off till later.[:D]
  • Options
    IdahoboundIdahobound Member Posts: 20,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I said I would get it done. Yet she feels the need to remind me every 6 months
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I?ll give ya some practice and pay ya to do it. Hauling bulk taters and being unloaded with a Bobcat has cracked a couple welds on my trailer floor, they need fixin.

I have too many projects right now.

The bathroom in my bar is still not finished, need to finish the plumbing, connect to the water line and septic. Then I need to tile the floor, hang drywall on the walls and tile. Need to buy and install the furnace and a hot water tank.

My 1968 Chevelle, that poor thing is still in a couple thousand pieces, tons of sheetmetal work to do on it.

I just bought a 1994 GMC pickup on the cheap, needs a tuneup and exhaust system.

My 1979 F150, now that I have the GMC I can begin disassembly of that vehicle to prep for sandblasting and paint, finish reassembly of the 302 and lose the 390. Install lift kit and 38? Super Swampers.

I promised the wife I would buy a jungle gym for the girls this spring.

Need to do something with the back deck, either make walls out of lattice (sp?) and cover the deck with astro-turf so the girls can have a secure play area outside or just close the sucker in and make a sun room.

Need to repair the roof, wind took off shingles again.

I can keep going, I need $100,000 and a month off. (The $100K is to pay someone else to do most of this crap)