In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Sales People

grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
edited January 2015 in General Discussion
Found a Set of handle bars I like for the Bike I'm Building. But wanted a set taller than what they had out they shoed a 10" Apes and I think mine would be about Perfect with a 14" Gave them a part number from their site for the 10" and said I wanted one in 14.

They sent me back a link to the 10" instead. So told them I know about that one but wanted a larger one.

So they say they do not have one in 14" but wanted to know what type of bike I was going to be putting these on. So I told them and let them Know about the Springer front end. The come back saying their T-risers(completely different style and way of mounting will not fit).

Just sent them an E-mail saying I know those will not fit and that's why I did not ask for them.

Then Explained to them How the Bars I want Mount. Since they do not have a clue.

See what their reply is if I go with these I do like their style.

Comments

• Options
    JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I thought 14's were banned?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JnRockwall
    I thought 14's were banned?

Why, They sale them but not set up the way I wanted with all the wires ran and switches installed. This company sells the 10" and 16"s set that way but the 14's are bare.
  • Options
    Sav99Sav99 Member Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The professional salesman, an artist and a poet, is almost nonexistent in today's world. It breaks my heart to see the craft going extinct.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think that your expectations are too high.

I'm guessing that the company you are corresponding with buys all their parts from an importer who orders them by the container-full from China. What they have listed is
    all that they have.

Sounds to me like you need to have a custom bike builder bend & weld the part you need. I'm sure it won't be cheap, but one-of-a-kind parts never are.

Neal
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Most State laws declare the "APE" bars, with hands on them,sitting on the bike cannot make your hands higher than your shoulders.
    They give out hundreds of tickets a year for that in Sturgis and Daytona.
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishkiller41
    Most State laws declare the "APE" bars, with hands on them,sitting on the bike cannot make your hands higher than your shoulders.
    They give out hundreds of tickets a year for that in Sturgis and Daytona.

The trick is to mount them firm but loose enough that you can pull them down to shoulder height should you get pulled over by the cops.
  • Options
    LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hill Country Customs did have 14" pre-wired ape hangers about a year or so ago. Warning tho. Pre-wired bars do not come cheap..
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Not to try to cause trouble but look at it this way. you like a ford car but want a straight six cylinder engine They sell one with a straight 4 cylinder a V6 and a V8 do you think Ford should set up a assembly line to build a car like what you want [?] I am sure you can get someone to build you a 14 inch pair on a custom basis.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That's why I only want to go 14 and still may go with the 10. But just need to confirm with them the Mounting Diameter.

This is a Custom Shop. That makes their own products.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by LesWVa
    Hill Country Customs did have 14" pre-wired ape hangers about a year or so ago. Warning tho. Pre-wired bars do not come cheap..

Thanks and you are right. Their cost for just the plain Bars is the same cost as I was getting for bars and controls.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No restrictions in NM. You see guys that look like gibbons with arms almost straight up. Guess that is why they call them Ape Hangers Huh?

I always wondered why their arms don't go to sleep. Must be all the vibration from a V-twin keeps the circulation up.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    $900 for these I found.. Told ya Pre-wired & ready to go. Dont come cheap.

HCC-14-Cmpt-RG-RK_400.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by LesWVa
    $900 for these I found.. Told ya Pre-wired & ready to go. Dont come cheap.

HCC-14-Cmpt-RG-RK_400.jpg

ape_hangers_el_diablo_chrome_harley_handlebars_fat_10_hand_controls_switches_2.jpg

For the 10" $399.00. I like these cause I do not need to add Spacers to my DogBones to clear my Fuel tanks. They also move the controls Back to me for a better fit.
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have 18" Chubbys on mine, get lots of looks but havent been pulled over. Did have a MT HP give me the thumbs up while riding through Belgrade. Rode this to Sturgis, passed several cops in SD and didn't get pulled over. What I do find amusing is how many people want to be the bearer of bad news and the first one to tell me how illegal they are. People just love to tell folks the obvious. Betcha I had 50 people stop me in Sturgis to tell me they was illegal, shut up people! I get so sick of people doing that!

Anyhow, illegal or not in some states, they are legal here in MT and I don't give a rats * about the legality in other states. If I get popped I'll pay the ticket and thats that. Maybe I'll go taller just to spite [:D]

F7E14250-EB1A-44D0-9E90-57566251AC5B_zpsfacfwgkn.jpg

6E21E1D6-7596-4203-8AC5-B487A1E642CF_zpskfiizxxz.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ok look at Lonnie's and take 6" to 8' off see how they will be below shoulder height.

This is what I was going to run Beach Bars. but because of the my Frame the tanks sit a little Higher and interfere with the handlebars. even with the riser blocks I added they are still close.

PS not my Bike but the bars are the same as I have.

image_17046b.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Big Sky Redneck
    I have 18" Chubbys on mine....

they are legal here in MT[:D]

F7E14250-EB1A-44D0-9E90-57566251AC5B_zpsfacfwgkn.jpg

That's the part I do not understand. I have a truck legally licensed, registered and insured in the state of WV. I can legally drive my truck in all 50 states no problem..

Why is my motorcycle that is legally licensed, registered and insured in the state of WV, illegal in South Dakota?
  • Options
    TrinityScrimshawTrinityScrimshaw Member Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Because DOT doesn't care about motorcycles...[:o)]

Trinity +++
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well just got done with my last e-mail to them saying never mind.

Found a post on the HD Forums about this company its been going on since 2011 and still going on complaints about this company and their crappy customer service.

It also seems their web pages just went down.
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    The solution to handlebar grips being no higher than shoulders can easily be solved by having an adjustable seat- as found in cars. In the event that you are checked, just press the button, raise the level of your seat whatever amount is needed and you have matched the height of your shoulders to the handle bars.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******
    edited November -1
    So you can't have 14" bars if they are above your shoulders? What if you're tall enough to have them, and someone borrows your bike? No go?

Talk about ridiculous.

Speaking of ridiculous, I think the tall handlebars look ridiculous. But that is just my O, obviously. YMMV.[:D][:D]
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sav99
    The professional salesman, an artist and a poet, is almost nonexistent in today's world. It breaks my heart to see the craft going extinct.

To your list you can ad: SPORTSCASTERS. During the UO-FSU game, when it was clear Oregon was going to win, the announcers were talking about how Oregon was going to match-up against Alabama, as it was a foregone conclusion as to which team would win the UA/OSU game.
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Laws are funny, the handlebar laws fall under the excuse of safety, remember that word - safety!

Motorcycles, wait let's look at it this way. What is the highest speed limit in the USA? 80mph?

So let's look at safety regulations from the speed limit side of the house. You can buy right now, a car or motorcycle that will touch 100mph over the highest speed limit in the USA, some will even exceed 200mph. These are allowed on the streets, why do you need something that will go that fast when no speed limit will allow it? Wait you say, you can run them on the race track as well! Ok, let's go this way then.

Hotrods, modified vehicles. A Pro Street hotrod, a jacked up pick up truck, a Rat Rod as well ad many other types of modified vehicles all have different handling charactaristics (spelled that wrong on purpose) and these changes makes many of them unsafe at 80mph, unsafe! A pickup truck with 44" mudders handles like crap compared to a stock truck, a Pro Street car don't turn for crap at speed, a Rat Rod - well come to your own conclusion on those!!

But you see they have the necassary items, brakes, lights, indicators and whatever else it required by law, even with these items those vehicles cannot and will not be able to be operated safely at highway speeds! You have to drive accordingly!!!!!!!

Ape hangers, yep they change the handling of the bike, my bike is at best a 80mph bike now, so friggin what! I know how to ride that bike safely just like the guy who owns a lifted pickup with 44"ers on it does. Why is his highly modified vehicle legal and my bike not? We will never know the true answer to that but the excuse is safety.

Now with that said, more people die on these zoomie bikes every year than guys on choppers and modified Harleys. But thier 186mph Ninja is legal and my bike is not, go figure!! And since I mentioned choppers, do you think a stetched bike with the front wheel in the next county handles as well as my bike with apes? Don't think so!!

One more thing, somebody likes on thing and somebody else like something else. Aint America great!! I will keep riding my bike the way it is, I don't care what others think [:D]