In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

The Donner Party and feminism

Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Okay, I've always been wondering....Read up a lot on the fate of the Donner party. One fact that I cant shake is that 2/3rds of the women survived, while 2/3rds of the men perished. Not trying to start a hugh arument, but what's up with that?

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it that the former does not submit to hereditary predjudices, but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." - Albert E.

On my tombstone:"Keep you eyes on the road, your hands upon the wheel..."the Lizard King

Comments

• Gibbs505Gibbs505 Member Posts: 3,175
    edited November -1
    The men died, saving the women.

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We are wusses! [:D]
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    on the lighter side,

Trying to take a rib from a hungry lady is not a pretty site. [;)][:o)][:o)][:o)][:o)]

gun1.gif
    "If you aim at nothing,
    you will be sure to hit it"
    hsas371x48.gif
    Santa_Cruz.gif
    [img][/img]
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by FrancF
    on the lighter side,

Trying to take a rib from a hungry lady is not a pretty site. [;)][:o)][:o)][:o)][:o)]

gun1.gif
    "If you aim at nothing,
    you will be sure to hit it"
    hsas371x48.gif
    Santa_Cruz.gif
    [img][}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)] "Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"[/img]
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    the women survived off eating man meat [}:)]

We're men. Its our God given right to watch sports and smut" - Al Bundy
  • jjmitchell60jjmitchell60 Member Posts: 3,887
    edited November -1
    It has to do with the body fat percent of women vs men of the time! I took a class in college that went into that fact that you mentioned. The profesor was a woman and her field of studies was "Womens Studies"! The class was westward expansion and when we got to the Donner Party she went into a lot of detail as to why more women survived! She stated that the men of that time period had a very low body fat ratio to muscle while on the other hand women had a much higher body fat to muscle ratio. It goes by the same principle that mountain men would starve eating rabbits all winter even if they had an abundence of rabbits. Reason being was that rabbit has little fat in it's meat. Now the moutain men learned that by eating a teaspoon of tallow (animal fat) a day in addition to the rabbits, they did not starve to death. Now as of today, many of us men have more body fat, too much of being a "couch critter".

"we are but men... no more, no less..."
  • victorlvlbvictorlvlb Member Posts: 5,004
    edited November -1
    Woman can cook anything,and make it taste good.
  • sharkman69sharkman69 Member Posts: 858
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by victorlvlb
    Woman can cook anything,and make it taste good.

Not all women. My sister-in-law, for instance.
  • Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    I agree with the "body fat ratio"thing. Men are made for strength, hunting, gathering and whatnot. Women are built to last for the long haul, also we have a highter tolerance for physical discomfort. But what about the nature of men and women? Men are "do'ers", they have to be in control of the situation at all times, and when the can't they become frustrated and discouraged, where women (traditionally at least) had been taught that they had little control over the situations in their lives. I'm sure the women suffered mentally as well, but they didn't take it as personally as the men did.

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it that the former does not submit to hereditary predjudices, but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." - Albert E.

On my tombstone:"Keep you eyes on the road, your hands upon the wheel..."the Lizard King
  • rcrxmike_2rcrxmike_2 Member Posts: 3,275
    edited November -1
    sorry guys......it's my fault.....got her addicted to this.....

JOIN PETA! (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS) I didn't climb to the top of the food chain to have a salad and spring water!
  • Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    sorry for what,babe....luv you...

• Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:woman is physically smaller so requires less food to survive.

Havent been to a truck stop lately have you Saxon[:D]

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif