In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I think I am trading in the Monte

Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
edited July 2013 in General Discussion
Between the wife and I, we have 3 vehicles. She has her AWD Dodge Journey and I have a Monte Carlo SS and an old 4wd Suburban for the winter. Well it is nice having the 3rd vehicle at times, I am getting sick of paying insurance, registration fees, and maintenance on 3 vehicles.

I am still paying on the Monte Carlo, so I think I am going to trade it in towards a 2011 or 2012 used, AWD SUV or crossover vehicle. I like the wife's so much that I may get the same thing she has. It handles great in the snow and we get 25-27 mpg on trips with it. I will just put the Suburban for sale myself.

I THINK this is financially and stress-wise the right decision, but any other input from you guys? Suggestion on a 2011-2012 used AWD vehicle(needs to be around $20,000 max)?

Jon

Comments

• Options
    sxsnufsxsnuf Member Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Glad youre having such good luck with the Journey.
    A couple coworkers have nothing good to say about theirs.
    I kinda like the Toyota Highlander.
    Not sure it meets the price point though.
    Arrivederci gigi
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sxsnuf
    Glad youre having such good luck with the Journey.
    A couple coworkers have nothing good to say about theirs.
    I kinda like the Toyota Highlander.
    Not sure it meets the price point though.

Interesting. Any idea what issues they are having with theirs? What year they have? Miles on them? Engine in it? I am always looking for feedback.

Ours is a 2011 AWD with the 3.6 V6 in it. I think we have 47,000 on it and very pleased so far.

Jon
  • Options
    JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    maybe you could put the suburban on limited or collectors insurance duing the warm months, and switch the policy to the SS in the cold months?
  • Options
    cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What's wrong with the SS in the winter? It's a late model front wheel drive, right? My friend has one with the supercharged v6 and he says it's great in the snow (Northern Indiana snowbelt, so he knows what he's talking about).
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    paying the privilege fees and cost in Kansas are getting to be a big part of the budget...one would think the mfg's and dealers would see this as a threat to their business...well maybe not as it has been shown the govt will steal from the taxpayers to keep them going...makes one feel like a hamster running in a cage...sold the farm trucks and kept a 1974 converted to a bucket truck and tag/tax fee this year was a flat $50 higher...and will be another $50 higher next year...legislators sneaked that one in 3 years ago...will increase the fee 263% for a truck that runs less that 20 miles a year..one option left is to put an antique tag one it for a one time fee...if they don't close that window
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,043 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    we have 4 drivers and 5 vehicles. All have full coverage, however the 5th vehicle costs me next to nothing to insure.
  • Options
    the middlethe middle Member Posts: 3,089
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cce1302
    What's wrong with the SS in the winter? It's a late model front wheel drive, right? My friend has one with the supercharged v6 and he says it's great in the snow (Northern Indiana snowbelt, so he knows what he's talking about).

I have a buick lacrosse super...which is buicks version of the monte ss....its has a chevy small block v8...which is a blast to drive in fair weather...but Im here to tell you...it completely sucks is snow....traction control constantly kills power..and forget about it with turned off. Winter tires help...but not a whole lot.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by the middle
    quote:Originally posted by cce1302

I have a buick lacrosse super...which is buicks version of the monte ss....its has a chevy small block v8...which is a blast to drive in fair weather...but Im here to tell you...it completely sucks is snow....traction control constantly kills power..and forget about it with turned off. Winter tires help...but not a whole lot.

Yep. It has the 5.3L and I have the same issues. I threw new tires on it and that helped some, but just not fun to drive in the snow at all. Terrible stopping and acceleration when the snow and slush comes. I think maybe it has to do with the traction control and all that weight up front with the FWD?

Jon
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Traction control just plain SUCKS!! Takes the fun out of having some power too [:D][:D]