In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

attn. turkey hunters...

jdb123jdb123 Member Posts: 471 ✭✭✭
edited April 2002 in General Discussion
hey guys i know this is a question for the "ask the experts" forum but i need as many replies and as soon as i can get them- just got invited for a turkey hunt here in tx and heres my problem-i have no shotgun typically suited for turkey {no full choke} i have a winchester model 1400 semi-auto that has a "skeet" barrel, what pattern {if any}can i expect with #4 shot at 40 yds or so. thanks

Edited by - jdb123 on 04/10/2002 22:51:49

Comments

• Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Youare going to have to pattern that shot gun. It probably will be lousy, but you never know.
    Just an example-I have an Ithaca 12 guage, with a fixed modified barrel, and a barrel with screw in chokes. The modified barrel is a much better turkey barrel than the other barrel with an extra full turkey choke. Go figure. I hear alot of people taking forty yard shots, but to me, that is a long shot, even with a turkey tube. Ill do 30, but I feel alot better at twenty.

Happiness is a warm gun
  • Options
    varmit huntervarmit hunter Member Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jdb,If you are close to Orange,I have three turkey guns.Will loan you one.Just not the Benelli.Contact me at rrobison@gt.rr.com.

A unarmed man is a subject.A armed man is a citizen.
  • Options
    gunnutgunnut Member Posts: 724 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would highly recommend pattering the shotgun before hunting with it. I would also recommend borrowing or purchasing a good turkey gun, as you are going to be hooked. As far as the shots go, practice shooting the ammo that your gun likes and limited you shots to you and your guns ability. I took a 22lb Tom on monday with a Benelli SBE at 47 long paces, and didn't think twice about the distance. I was using Winchester Supreme's 3.5 #4's which my Benelli loves. When you start shopping for a Turkey gun if price is an issue I would also highly recommend a Mossberg 835 Ulti Mag. Full Camo Runs about $349 at our wally world.

~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • Options
    jdb123jdb123 Member Posts: 471 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    varmit hunter, i highly appreciate the offer for the loaner unfortunetly i am no where near orange, i am in ft worth and will be hunting near amarillo, this was a last minute invite,and i always get delayed when buying guns so obtaining one before friday would be difficult and i think i can get a tom without the benefiet of a turkey choke. however i just called my dad and i arranged for me to pattern my "skeet" barrel shotgun tomorrow. thanks guys and good luck.
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you gonna be doing the calling or is some one else? If you have some body calling for you use a decoy and try to stay away from him, position your self so the bird will almost pass you when coming to the decoy, you will see how to do this setting up after getting one to gobble. Only reason I'm saying this, is because you gonna need to get close to that bird with that gun. Tip, use #6 shot in 3" mag so you get more shot in one area.

If you want my guns you will have to kill me first. I was born free and to take that from me you better be ready to fight.