In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

sneaking up on a tom

jdb123jdb123 Member Posts: 471 ✭✭✭
edited April 2002 in General Discussion
in your opinion is it possible or have you ever heard of someone "sneaking up" on a wild turkey? were talking less than 15 feet
i know this is an odd question but it is very relative.

Edited by - jdb123 on 04/15/2002 22:37:26

Comments

• Options
    mcneely77mcneely77 Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have never snuk up on one. However, when I was 16, a buddy of mine and I were snaggin salmon (when it was still legal) in Ludington, MI, and 5 of em come out of the woods right next to us. My buddy, half foolin, took off after them and stayed a constant 4 foot from it. It kept cuttin around the sapplings and was a whole lot more agile than him. If it weren't for those sapplings, I really think he would have had a chance to snatch it. Hard to say.

IALEFI, ASLET, NRA, and proud owner of a pair of S&W revolvers.
  • Options
    legn4legn4 Member Posts: 481 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would say it is possible , depending on cover (not most likely).Try to run 1 thur a woven fence, they try&try&try&try but only there head and neck makes it.

Work'n like a dog all nite
  • Options
    gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have never gooten closer than 100 yards in the field but have been within 3 feet at physical therapy. While in a physical rehab facility in May four years ago a gobbler would attack the mirror coated window of my room. At first I thought what I was seeeing was the effects of the morphine as this was in the middle of town but he was real enough. A few days later he was hit by a car while crossing the street to attack another window.

Pack slow, fall stable, pull high, hit dead center.
  • Options
    Shootist3006Shootist3006 Member Posts: 4,171
    edited November -1
    Only if the Tom is asleep or sick. Otherwise, you won't get within 50 yards. Once while deer hunting in Utah I was walking up a dirt road and saw a tom about 60 yards ahead of me. I would speed up and he would to, when I slowed, so did he. He stayed that far ahead for about a half mile until he got tired of the game and turned off the road.

Quod principi placuit legis habet vigorem.Semper Fidelis
  • Options
    concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,566 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've done it in northern Michigan (lower peninsula). There is an area where the grass is about 3 feet high. If you walk really slowly through it you can sneak up on not only turkeys but also deer. Last year I got within about 10 feet of a fawn and I snuck up on a turkey with about 10 babies! Scared the crap out of me when they all flew off in a hurry!

Gun Control Disarms Victims, NOT Criminals
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had turkeys walk up within 20 feet of me with no Camo. Happened while deer hunting, once in the field and once while cooking. Partner hunting down a two track in the mountains had a tom walk along side him 15 feet away. They strolled together for a couple of hundred yards. I doubt it would be at all easy to get that close to them if you were the one stalking, but it no doubt has been done.
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wouldnt try that during gobbler season. There are plenty of dead hunters to prove why. Funny how somebody can mistake a human for a bird.