In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

ford FE headers, re: performance gain...

the loveable rat...the loveable rat... Member Posts: 969 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2002 in General Discussion
anybody know what to expect? are high$ headers worth it, or is a cheap set ok for my work truck/hunt truck? thx...

"gunbroker- once? home of the former gunsmiths that were run out of town, ex-generals, and smart-alecs with smaller than size 18 shoes"

Comments

• Options
    EVILDR235EVILDR235 Member Posts: 4,398 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Myself i don,t like tubing headers.They always start leaking,they are noisey,a lot of them hang down to low for off road use.They only last a few years,then they start cracking.Myself i use dual exhaust on my F100s(360-390)with 2-1/2 inch pipes,and turbo mufflers.JMHO,
    Dr.Evil
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Headers have advantages and disadvantages. One of the disadvantages is the thickness of the mounting area is only 1/4", the heat produced in that area makes the steel expand and contract, hence blown header gaskets and leaks. Some header are designed for high RPM's, causing a serious loss to low end torgue. Headers can only be appreciated by a good set of duals, running headers and then placing restrictive exaust on them defeats the purpose. However, if you buy the right header and install the right exaust system as recomended by the MFG you will notice better fuel economy and performance. Some header systems on a FI engine will require you to change fuel mixture in the computer and raising fuel pressure, you will need to weld a * to the header for the 02 sensor in order for the engine to function right. Ford offers header systems for their vehicles and alot of them are shorty header which will bolt inplace of the manifolds and hook to the factory exaust. If it is a computerized engine I recomend a crossover pipe when installing duals. If it is a carburated engine and you are not worried about under side clearance, get a cheap set of Hedman headers, run 3' pipe to a set of glasspacks or flowmasters,glasspacks sound better, the run 2 1/2" pipes out the sides in front of the wheel wells, it will be loud but sound good.

If you want my guns you will have to kill me first. I was born free and to take that from me you better be ready to fight.

Edited by - 7mm nut on 04/11/2002 01:04:08
  • Options
    JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    7mm has "427" posts, a magic Ford number if there ever was one!

A good solution would be a set of the old cast iron Police Interceptor/390 H-P/406 H-P, etc. headers. They are a lot smaller than 427 H-P headers. I think they will work on most pickups, and will not have the problems tube headers have in long service. They use the larger head pipes as I recall. Expect to pay quite a bit for any factory High Performance (H-P) header from the Total Performance days.
  • Options
    Jungle JimJungle Jim Member Posts: 301 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I love headers ! Nothing like the sound of a big block headered exhaust thru turbo mufflers! I made a few '57 Thunderbird purists upset when I modified the old 312; but it suits me - and the modifications aren't noticeable, (cam, lifters, breakerless ignition module) but I didn't add headers. They rust out, burn out- even when jet coated after enough time. That said; wish someone made Delorean headers for the 2.8 PRV - I'd put them on the Delorean anyway!

Jim

"De Oppresso Liber"
  • Options
    LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    I have a Borla stainless steel header on my Jeep Cherokee in-line six. I replaced the stock exhaust manifold as well as the rest of the exhaust system with a Borla stainless unit. Nice square stainless exhaust tip also. Nice sound, lots more power and better gas mileage. Somehow the catalytic converter got lost in the confusion.

Lord Lowrider the LoquaciousMember:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets She was only a fisherman's daughter,But when she saw my rod she reeled.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had a Banks system put on a 16,000 pound Winnebago with a 454 Chevvy fuel injected engine last fall. Before the installation ($2K) the machine was embarassingly sluggish and got a lot of drivers upset. Now it can keep up with fast traffic. I believe their claims of significantly increased H.P.. There is a real difference between well engineered, long, tuned headers and short headers. I'd check the Banks offering on the web for your machine. Like yourself I was skeptical about performance claims for an exhaust system but seeing a machine like mine pulling a car and easily climbing a long hill I was struggling to climb without a towed vehicle, sold me.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks all! keep up the good work...
  • Options
    gunnutgunnut Member Posts: 724 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I put a new Borla/SVO exhaust system in my 98 Cobra, and it did make a difference. how much? Im not sure because at the same time we installed a Vortech supercharger. :)

~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • Options
    LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    I'll bet that's a runnin' sumbitch now.

Lord Lowrider the LoquaciousMember:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets She was only a fisherman's daughter,But when she saw my rod she reeled.
  • Options
    rg666rg666 Member Posts: 395 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would buy the ceramic coated headers they are quieter & don't expand & contract like steel only ones do. They also don't rust or discolor & disapate the heat faster. You need to be a little more careful when installing them though. They will also not impair torque or horsepower. The size of the exhaust pipe is what governs more horsepower on the high or low end.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The header design has a lot to do with the torgue curve. Different headers are tuned for different applications, Hooker headers proves this every day. Headers are the first step in an exaust system, you need to have a system that will work with the headers, if you buy a set of super comps and then put granny mufflers and 2" pipe you just defeated the enire system. There is more to it than calling up summit, buying a set and having your local Monroe shop putting exaust on them. The entire process has to be setup for the application. If you want good streetabilty with a stock or mildly modified engine you need to buy headers for that and match the exaust system to them. But if you have an engine running a .305* duration with .514" lift and a single plane intake, port matched heads, 10" tourge converter and the works you will need headers that will flow high rpm and allow the torgue curve to be raised. Call summit racing and ask the tech guy what you need for your particular setup. If it's bone stock like I said Hedman makes a good set for you and the exaust system will be easy.

Two things here you need to rememberLOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES AND IF IT'S TOO LOUD YOUR TOO OLD
  • Options
    edited November -1
    awright 7nut, since you know fords, i'll not stomp on your 223 deal, and bask in your radiance...390 '73 250- what do you recommend short of highest end? i'm not lookin to polish her up, but the exhaust gasket has a leak already and i figure why not header it? if it didn't need to be done, i'd put the money into guns, my bride, fly rods, or beer- so you can see many drips in my money plumbing....i promise not to revv her up next to all of you guys...

"let not your work smack of the trowel, nor your words cause a blow from one either..."
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Go to http://store.summitracing.com/

If it's a 2wd enter this part number into search HED-89100
    If it's a 4wd use this number HED-89120
    Those are for headers.

I don't know what you want for an exaust system. Summit has several to choose from from out the back to side dump. You will have to decide what you want and choose from there. May even be better off to install the headers and go to a custom exaust shop and have duals run.

Here is some good part #'s for mufflers
    Flowmaster:FLO-52533, these are somewhat quiet but still have bossy sound.
    Flowmaster:FLO-42441, these bad boys sound cool as heck, loud too!

If you want to impress the motor heads use these:BIG-50231, these sumbitches are LOUD! They are called Purple Hornies and man do they crack!

Summit has a good deal with free shipping and all and if you pay by card they ship right now. I spend several thousand dollars there a year. I'm in the process of building a 383 stroker for my firebird and so far I have $7500 and 2 years into it and I aint near done with it yet. I still need to get my TCI transmission, ford 9" rear, rear Chassis and cage and some more engine parts. The heads I'm getting are $2500. All I have done so far is the bottom end, custom grind roller cam and all the machine work on the block. This will be a streetable 450 HP with close to 500lbs of torque. I'm building it off of a blueprint so it should work. This car is my way to regain some youth and I want to kick the crap out of these snotty kids with their GT Mustangs. I've had several cars and trucks I've hotrodded but this is my first attempt at a prostreet car. Just wait till the wife comes home from work and see's the car stripped! After summer I want to start tearing it down so the chassis can be installed. Someday I will get to drive it!