In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Which Gun?

garandfangarandfan Member Posts: 271 ✭✭✭
edited July 2002 in General Discussion
My friend is looking to buy his first handgun and he wants it in 9mm. It will be used for plinking and just general shooting. He has shot handguns before so he is not a complete beginnner and he doesn't want a .22(even though I suggested to him that he get a 22). He is looking to spend no more than $400, but wants to keep it near $350. I suggested a Ruger P89 as they are good and reliable guns. I also mentioned a Cz75B, I have no experience with these but heard many good things about them. Which one do you guys think is the best and do you have any other ideas. Thanks.

"To be prepared for War is one of the most
effectual means of preserving peace"-George Washington

Edited by - garandfan on 07/01/2002 02:41:52

Comments

• Options
    garandfangarandfan Member Posts: 271 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I find I can buy a Bushmaster for X number of dollars but can buy a colt for $200.00 more. Thoughts of previous owners of both? I'm talking about a A2 government.
  • Options
    royc38royc38 Member Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Either one should fit the bill. You also could look at the Taurus line maybe a 92/99 series. They are good quality and used ones can be found in that price range.
  • Options
    NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Ruger P89 is a very sweet,reliable and good shooting hand gun.If properly taken care of it will last a lifetime.I know of one small P.D. in our area that issues it as their duty weapon.

Rugster
  • Options
    dads-freeholddads-freehold Member Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    greetings, guns i would sigest as your first 9mm; p85, p89, p94, p95, 28m, 30m, a100, eea wit, based on three critior feel in the hand, trigger pull, recoil to weight ratio. guns mabee second or third timer; taurus pt 92, 99, 908 because of the hard trigger pull. glock 17 or 19 because of recoil to weight and price. s&w 59 or 908 again hard trigger pull. gun never to rec. any llama esp the omni, s&w 9c, any colt except a1911, any parker, any khar, respt. submitted dads-freehold a fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi

rodney colson
  • Options
    airborneairborne Member Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just finished reading an article, in an older issue, of Handguns that was very praising to the CZ75.

B - BreatheR - RelaxA - AimS - SightS - Squeeze
  • Options
    offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shoot, guns are made to last a hundred years if well cared for, so there's nothing wrong with the "shopping for a used one" idea. If he wants brand new, the quality choices under $400 are practically unlimited. Tell him if buys anything other than a Hi-Point or a Jennings he'll no doubt get a good 9mm.

The Taurus PT111 is about $329 brand new, for instance. Too bad he doesn't live around here, because I could direct him to a nice well-worn Hi-Power that the dealer only needs $350 for. A good Hi-Power clone, new, would also be a gun he'd fall in love with.

Your man should certainly be able to find a lightly used 9mm Glock 17 or 19 for under $400, even in a gun shop, that still appears new, maybe even with hi-cap mags, though more likely in the classifieds than in the gun shop (I don't have to explain that, do I?). That would be a nice shooter for him -- few controls, good reliability, light trigger, and long lifespan no matter how heavily shot.

The CZ idea has a great merit too, and I still say the Witness line is a value.

- Life NRA Member
    "If cowardly & dishonorable men shoot unarmed men with army guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary...and not by general deprivation of constitutional privilege." - Arkansas Supreme Court, 1878

Edited by - offeror on 07/27/2002 13:56:35
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd say try a CZ 75 B SA.
    That or maybe a S&W Sigma E.
    Then maybe a Ruger.

If I'm wrong please correct me, I won't be offended.

The sound of a 12 gauge pump clears a house fatser than Rosie O eats a Big Mac !
  • Options
    OPERATOROPERATOR Member Posts: 61 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Speaking of CZ 75's, whats the difference between these and the TZ75 made by tanfoglio? I got one with no mag at a gun show last year for $150. Up to this day, I know nothing more about it than I did the day I bought it.

-operator

Life is simple, living is what makes it complicated.
  • Options
    Fep1990Fep1990 Member Posts: 632 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Ruger P series are a good line of handgun. My personal choices would be the P94, then P95(polymar frame=less weight). A few other good choices in my opinion would be the Baby Eagle or a CZ75. For very easy conceal carry: Kel-Tec P11
  • Options
    96harley96harley Member Posts: 3,992 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    New to the shooting sports hey? You might suggest a 44 redhawk with the hottest loads possible. You can get your hands on a good Hi-Point, right? Take him to the range let him shoot the redhawk. Once he gets bit let him shoot the mild 9mm you just happen to have in your range bag. Hey, he likes it and it's recoil suites him fine. You offer to take a beating for the Hi-Point and suggest a trade. What are friends for? Enjoy the new redhawk garanhan.
  • Options
    SUBMARINERSUBMARINER Member Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    never fired a cz but ive put several hundred through a ruger p-89.it is a nice gun and shoots good.i like my hk better but go figure.

SUBMARINE SAILOR,TRUCK DRIVER,RUSTY WALLACE FAN AND AS EVERYONE SO OFTEN POINTS OUT PISS POOR TYPIST e-mail:WNUNLEY@USIT.NET