In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Most dangerous job

wipalawipala Member Posts: 11,068
edited April 2002 in General Discussion
We've funnest and nastiest now let's hear the most dangerous
job you've ever had.
Weight guesser at a carnival man can those big women be mean

Edited by - wipala on 04/15/2002 23:09:05

Comments

• Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Current job. Arresting folks who don't want to go to the Grey Bar Hotel. Imagine that!

"We become what we habitually do. If we act rightly, we become upright men. If we habitually act wrongly, or weakly, we become weak and corrupt" - *ARISTOTLE*

**Like Grandad used to say--"It'll feel better when it quits hurtin"
  • Options
    jastrjastr Member Posts: 463 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am a printer for the largest Printing company in the world, I know im not getting shot at or anything, but you talk too any pressman at any print shop and thell show you only 8 or 9 digits im sure. a lot of pinch points on those machines. Then you through in high speeds, and deadlines for books too be ran , and 12hr shifts. You get some majore injuries. I almost lost my right index and middle fingers too the press, they were able too be saved. I have a friend that works there, he had a 500lb elevated crane drop on him from 8ft in the air and put him through a wooden pallet. He is lucky too be alive! Im not sayin my job is as dangerouse as a leos or anyone in the military but we average about 70 major injuries a year in our plant a year.

lets all be responsible! shoot a criminal!
  • Options
    Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Personally, my jobs have been rather tame. But I did meet a pair of cops (male and female) in Tulsa whose jobs were to serve papers on parents where child abuse had been reported...their jobs were to take the kids into custody. These cops wore body armor, Kevlar liners in their hats, even carried bullet proof clipboards. They told me, that no matter how bad a parent is...even parents who don't want their kids around...thay all get terribly upset when a stranger hauls their kids away.

I never did find out how much salary these cops made--I just knew it wasn't enough!!!!
  • Options
    smokey1smokey1 Member Posts: 76 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I once sold a life insurance policy with a "no-donuts" clause to Rosie O'Donnel. Does that count?
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's funny, one night during shift change there was a case at the emergency room of a young boy who was assaulted by four older boys who had scalpels. Since I was the only one working through shift change they sent me walking at 4am on the railroad tracks through the woods. I felt safe because I was armed and I was able to use that weapon very well. The tie went away at midnight but the smooth-bottomed dress shoes really sucked walking those tracks. I felt less safe working at the meat packing plant before I joined the Army. Them hogs flew out of that de-hairing machine so fast that I stuck myself with the boxcutter so many times it wasn't even funny. Once, while working in the kill pit, there was a mean old hog with nasty tusks which didn't respond to the electrical jolt they sent through it's body. It was supposed to fall down unconcious on the table in front of me after being released from the conveyor belt. Needless to say it came charging at me with tusks about chest-level. I stepped to the side and let it jump off the table and then I swiftly planted the heel of my boot in the back of its head. He dropped almost immediately. I guess the electric jolt did do some good.

Everytime I complain about something in the Army, I have to remember that I could still be working at the packing plant. I can't believe I never took advantage of those great prices we got on pork.

SSG idsman75, U.S. ARMY
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,635 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I stand in now and then for the Hostage Negotiator for our local SWAT Team. I have been offered the schooling and the job if interested.

Been scared to death each time, but so far they have always turned out fine....
  • Options
    VarmintmistVarmintmist Member Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Carrier flight deck, only job more dangerous (peacetime) is high rise window washer, lineman (hooks and belt, not a ladder lineman)
  • Options
    agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    Bering Sea crab fisherman.

AlleninAlaska aglore@gci.net

How would you rather die, 10,000 foot pounds of muzzle energy in the BUTT or a sharp knife in the HEART?
  • Options
    Josey1Josey1 Member Posts: 9,598 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    AGLORE is absolutely CORRECT,statisticaly Alaska King Crab fishermen suffer the most casulties/fatalities of any other profession.They lay their crab pot lines in the most uninhospitable waters on the earth where waves routinely reach 50-100 feet and the water temperature is in the low 30's.The best time to harvest snow crabs is the worst time to be in the Bering Sea.An average crab pot is 12 feet long,6' high and 6'wide.

A good friend of mine(Derrick) was an Alaskan King crab fisherman,he would tell me stories about how crazy it gets out there.He told me that during the King Crab harvest,you will routinely hear on the radio of fishermen getting knocked off the boats,never to be found.What keeps these guys doing it is that once you get enough seniority on a boat you will get paid a percentage of the total haul over the course of the season.Derrick only worked 5 months out of the year and on a bad year as a full seniority mate he made $90,000.But is it worth the risk to you???

"If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege." - Arkansas Supreme Court, 1878
  • Options
    bartobarto Member Posts: 4,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    winter fishing in the bering sea- lost my best friend the first trip.
    barto

the hard stuff we do right away - the impossible takes a little longer
  • Options
    gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Being married to my exwife, the psycho. Probably working on the farm and working on a hot shot fire crew.

Pack slow, fall stable, pull high, hit dead center.
  • Options
    ndbillyndbilly Member Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    3 1/2ears in a coal mine. Work there long enough and you will be injured. Just a question of how badly. Got mine at the begining of the third year.
  • Options
    concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,566 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Installed carpet in Detroit for a while. Crack heads would constantly try to steal all of our tools and if they thought you were alone they'd try to mug you. I know it's not crab fishing in Alaska, but it was enough to require concealed carry at all times.

Gun Control Disarms Victims, NOT Criminals
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I work with venomous snakes. While a lot of folks would think it is dangerous, it is really pretty tame until you start holding their heads, and I try to do that very little indeed.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Marine construction. I used to have the honor of holding the piling still while the dead-fall weight was lowered onto it so as to settle it in the bottom for a straight drive. I know it's not alaska, but tell that to the guy holding the piling when the cable on the dead-fall breaks. Happened 3 times in 3 months, I went back to college.

When in doubt...empty the magazine!!
  • Options
    ysacresysacres Member Posts: 294 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Farming use to be the most dangerous, intil we got communication with Alaska and learned about crab fisherman.
    On my farm there is 25 Trucks,tractors,combines, all rolling chasies with moving parts.
    10 Grain bins,with flowing grain, augers,ladders,PTO,belts,pulleys.
    10 Tanks, pumps, hoses, with fertlizer,chemicals, fuel.
    15 pieces of equipment,seeders, cultavators,ect...
    All the tools to keep it in repair,welder,torch,grinders,hoist,big hammer.

A hot barrel, is a warm fuzzy feeling.
  • Options
    austin247austin247 Member Posts: 375
    edited November -1
    Gotta be the current job...deputy sheriff in an 800 square mile county in Texas. Awhile back had to fight a 3rd degree tae-kwon-do black belt who was tanked up on Meth for 20 minutes before back-up got there. And that's pretty much a normal night around here.
  • Options
    timberbeasttimberbeast Member Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    skipjackoneskipjackone Member Posts: 208 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    North Sea. Under water welding.
  • Options
    BoltactionManBoltactionMan Member Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Substitute teaching 7th and 8th grade.

Sorry, I lead a boring life.

KC
  • Options
    FTSLT488FTSLT488 Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cop in the South Bronx or Brooklyn North-especially during the crack period of the late 80's and early 90's (NYC at her lowest point had 2000 homicides, if I'm not mistaken)
  • Options
    SUBMARINERSUBMARINER Member Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    according to osha the most dangerous job ion america is being a truck driver.i aint arguing with nobody but the government says thatt truck drivers suffer more fatalities a year than any other profession

SUBMARINE SAILOR,TRUCK DRIVER,NE'ER DO WELL, INSTIGATOR,AND RUSTY WALLACE FAN
  • Options
    edited November -1
    if truck drivers have the worst fatality rate (which i doubt) we can only believe its from heart attacks, etc. and not from accidents on the road.
    barto

• Options
    varmit huntervarmit hunter Member Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Telling my wife,I ran over her rose bushes with the lawn mower.

A unarmed man is a subject.A armed man is a citizen.
  • Options
    Ms. BeastMs. Beast Member Posts: 496 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My job is working in a nursing home. Sound easy? Nope, I get kicked, punched, hit with canes, my hair pulled, some people think I am food and try to take a bite out of me. These are the easy days! We have had people sneak the table knives out of the dining room and then tell us they got a present for us, those people usually get to take a ride out of the place. I get to deal with infections and all different types of contagious things. Would I ever quit? Nope, I love it! We have some wonderful elderly people in this place and they make it a wonderful job!

I also run my toes over sometimes, those wheelchairs can really bruise your toes!
  • Options
    varmit huntervarmit hunter Member Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    MsBeast,Never thought about that thankless job.Thank you for doing it.

A unarmed man is a subject.A armed man is a citizen.
  • Options
    dobieman0690dobieman0690 Member Posts: 148 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    crab fishing out of Dutch harbor in the 70s
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i dont give a rat rear end what you BELIEVE.sorry truth hurts

• Options
    Free N TXFree N TX Member Posts: 165 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Of all the dangerous jobs I have done, raising 2 teenage boys is turning out to be the most dangerous of all. Especially when you try teaching a 16 year old how to drive when he thinks he already knows it all.

I'M PRO CHOICE! I CHOOSE to hunt, trap, eat meat and wear fur!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    submariner-
    i didnt mean to piss you off.
    it seems that we're both right. there ARE more truck driver fatalities than any other occupation but what i was referring
    to is the rate (ratio) of fatalities to total number of people in the occupation.
    im not trying to be argumentative but the bering sea fisheries win (or lose, depending on your point of view) hands down.
    peace, brother-
    barto

• Options
    whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Log skidding on a hillside operation using a draft horse.

Clouder..
  • Options
    lazywallruslazywallrus Member Posts: 119 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would have too agree with the carpet installer in Detroit.I spent 10 yrs as a window installer in the D. I'd rather take my chances on a fishing boat any day!
  • Options
    alledanalledan Member Posts: 19,541
    edited November -1
    I am my wifes experimental food taster-I just sit around and fart alot.

Never ask why but only the value of.
  • Options
    LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    Aglore, Barto, Dobieman:

Any of you guys fishing the Bering Sea in the early eighties? I lost 14 friends in one swipe on Valentines Day 1983. The two "A" boats out of Anacortes, Washington went down without a trace. No bodies, no nothing.

Here's to Brent Boles, Larry Littlefield, and the rest of the boys, and the F.V. Americus and F.V. Altair. Rest in peace.

Lord Lowrider the LoquaciousMember:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets She was only a fisherman's daughter,But when she saw my rod she reeled.

Edited by - Lowrider on 04/25/2002 23:59:51
  • Options
    223believer223believer Member Posts: 128 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Austin, that sounds like one heck of a story. How about
    some details?!
  • Options
    Jody CommanderJody Commander Member Posts: 855 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    After reading the posts here, I conclude that being an undercover police officer working as a crab fisherman while moonlighting as a truck driver with a heart condition would be at the top of the list.
    Until I read this topic and replys I thought being a "Crack Whore" would have been at least in the top two,but I guess We all like to think OUR job is more dangerous and exciting than the next guys.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    lowrider-
    april 12 1986- lost my best friend overboard 24 hours out of dutch.
    (f/v u.s. dominator) ted dorsey was never found. he had one of the nicest old '45' flatheads ive seen.
    barto

• Options
    edited November -1
    BARTO,WASNT P.O'D.JUST A LITTTLE MORE DIRECT THAN I SHOULDA BEEN I GUESS.THE MOST DANGEROUS PLACE IN AMERICA IS OUR HIWAYS AND THAT IS WHERE I SPEND MY LIFE AS WELL AS 7MM AND OTHERS.OUR LIVES ARE TAKEN BY CRASHES,THIS IS PER OSHA SO I GUESS IT BEING THE GOVERNMENT ALL FACTS ARE UP FOR SCRUTINY..HA HA.I AINT RAMBO,I DONT PULL PEOPLE OVER AT 3AM FOR A LIVING,BUT I DO OPERATE IN THE MOST HAZARDOUD ENVIRONMENT IN THE U.S..THE U.S. INTERSTATE SYSTEM.WAS NOT MY INTENTION TO COME ACROSS "HEAVY" LOVE ALWAYS HA HA
    SUBMARINER