In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

L.E.O.'s weigh in on this

Submariner .Submariner . Member Posts: 165 ✭✭✭
edited April 2002 in General Discussion
i drive a truck for a living as most of yall already know.i have a Tn handgun carry permit.lets say im in texas and nunn pulls me over,just for argument sake say ive got a .38 spcl in my sleeper for personal defense.technicly im breaking the law right?even though TN and TX has reciprocity with one another?if i was in my car i would be legal but just cause im in a commercial vehicle involved in interstate commerce im a criminal as i understand it anyway.now im in Tx not too long ago and a deputy sherriff and i are engaged in a wonderful gun discussion(yes truckers and cops can get along when it is 4:00am and were both gunnuts and noone else was around to see we were getting along)and he told me if i had a permit from a state that tx reciprocated with he wouldnt have any trouble with it.so im just trying to get a feel for what most of you cops think cause yall are the ones that are gonna decide this matter in the field.thanx walt
Truck Driver,Submarine Veteran,Rusty Wallace fan,and piss poor typist E-MAIL WNUNLEY@USIT.NET

Comments

• Options
    Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Leave the gun in the sleeper and don't bring up the fact you have it. The LEO has no reason to search your truck so don't worry. Just take your ticket or whatever and go on.I carried a pistol (in my car) in Texas for over 30 years before we had permits. Was stopped several times--never once did I get searched--didn't give the officers a reason to search me.Be curteous and let them do their job...then proceed on with your pistol.
  • Options
    jeenyesjeenyes Member Posts: 330 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Having drove for years, I know that what one will let you go for, another will bust you for. And sometimes you will get searched. It's up to you on whatever you feel safe doing.
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just because you THINK an LEO doesn't have PC to search your vehicle doesn't mean he won't. I was a passenger on a trip through Oklahoma and I was the one that got bent over the hood only to have the LEO search me and my side of the pickup. It's funny, he didn't find the two boxes of .22 LR ammo in my jacket pocket or the .357 shells that I placed in the other jacket pocket. He justified the search by saying that he thought I was making excessive suspicious movements on my side of the vehicle while he was pulling us over. It's his word against yours in that case. I love LEO's but the rotten apples can make up probable cause in a heartbeat.
  • Options
    TeamblueTeamblue Member Posts: 782 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the states involved have reciprocity, then the matter is settled in my mind. I don't know about any commercial vehicle/interstate commerce exceptions to the laws in my state. As a matter of fact if a person had a valid concealed carry permit from a state that my own did not have reciprocity with, that person was clean on a warrant check was traveling peacably through my jurisdiction and passed the all-important attitude test, I would be hard pressed to jam them up an a concealed weapons issue if they had a valid permit from their state. To me it is a common sense issue that should be dealt with in a practical manner if all the aforementioned things are in order.
    1*
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I agree thatif there a reciprical agreement between the states it is a non-issue. I also agree that you should just leave it where it is and deal with the reason for the stop/situation at hand then move on. As much as I hate to admit it there are a few bad apples in our profession and some ignorant ones who take liberties that they shouldn't. If you have the CCW don't sweat it. Period.
  • Options
    SUBMARINERSUBMARINER Member Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    anyone else??

SUBMARINE SAILOR,TRUCK DRIVER,NE'ER DO WELL, INSTIGATOR,AND RUSTY WALLACE FAN