In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

used 9mm

Walt NunleyWalt Nunley Member Posts: 228 ✭✭✭
edited February 2002 in General Discussion
Got a gun show in march.looking for a used/new 9mm.I got around $400 to spend,any suggestions?i know everybody has favorites but im looking for all different kinds,im not really tied to one specific brand.i am confined by my limited resources thanx walt
Submarine Sailor,Truck Driver,and very bad typist.GO RUSTY #2

Comments

• JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ruger and some bullets with $$$ left over.That is if you can't find a beretta/sig/etc for a good price.
  • k.stanonikk.stanonik Member Posts: 2,109 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Under the circumstances i would look at a smith 5906, or in that series, bought mine last year for 350 and its a great shooter, accurate, havent had a jam yet. You will find these reasonably priced due to law enforcement trade ins when they switched to glocks
  • Evil ATFEvil ATF Member Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Walt:It depends. What are you gonna be using the 9mm for? Concealed carry? Plinking? Home defense? Finally getting even with the neighbors cat? All of the above?As a good all purpose 9mm in the $400 range, you might get lucky and snag a Beretta 92FS. I hate the trigger pull in 'em personally, but they're a solid gun. Might want to look at the Glock line. Perhaps a 17 or 19 depending on your CCW needs, but chances are slim that you'll find one for $400 in decent shape. IMHO, stay away from Ruger and Smith autos. Especially the Rugers. They're cheap for a reason.
  • RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Guess what I'm going pick.
    Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • badboybobbadboybob Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Evil I have to disagree with you on the Rugers. I have a P-97 with some 6,000 rounds through it. It is more accurate than I am and is totally reliable. It isn't cheaply made, it's just inexpensive.
    PC=BS
    edited November -1
    Evil, the reason smiths a economicaly is because alot of them are police trade ins from when they went to glocks, quality is not bad on them, the only reason alot of LEA's went to glock was for lighter weight.
  • Evil ATFEvil ATF Member Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Stano:I don't want to get into a pissing match, but there's a lot more to the S&W to Glock conversion going on than just light weight. Departments on a tight budget (that means all of them, except maybe LAPD or NYPD) don't spend millions to go to a completely different sidearm just to save a few ounces. There have been some serious quality control problems with S&W's autos. I'm glad that you managed to get a good one, though. The same goes for Ruger's handguns. The only Ruger I've ever shot and liked was one of the .22LR autos from the Mark lineup. Both Ruger and S&W make awesome revolvers, but their autos generally are second or third class, IMHO.
  • guns-n-painthorsesguns-n-painthorses Member Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Save up another hundred or so and buy yourself a H&K USP. You will never be unhappy with it, and the trade value is allways there. Allways buy the best of something, and you will never be unhappy with it. You know, do it right the first time. I think you would be hard pressed to dispute the quality of HK.Just my two cents! Scott the amature...
    edited November -1
    I know where there is a browning high power in 9 for $499.00. its about 90-95%
  • 7mm_ultra_mag_is_king7mm_ultra_mag_is_king Member Posts: 676 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used to have a ruger p-90 and the only prob I had with it is it is NOT made for concealed carry by a 5'11" 185 fella. I would have to carry a gymbag to hide that dang thig, they are way to big. Shoot good but to big. Heck, go buy an H&K cannon, samr dang thing, outside holstered carry only, can't hide one of those things either.
  • timberbeasttimberbeast Member Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    They must ship different Rugers to my area!I have at least 10,000 rounds through my P-89 and haven't had one malfunction of any kind, with any ammo. Not a good concealable piece, though, and the trigger sucks, but I think I could drive a tank over it and it would still fire. Have two buddies with Ruger semi's also. We shoot them 15-round mags all day long, none of the 3 has ever failed. Ruger is the best bang for the buck on the market, and not a pretender. Inexpensive, built to last forever, but not fancy. Kinda like me. I like that.Oops, double-tap![This message has been edited by timberbeast (edited 02-09-2002).]
  • WittumWittum Member Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Walt, what gun show are you going to?
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I had $400 for a 9mm I would consider myself lucky because that should be enough for a number of different choices in lightly used guns. There are a ton of 9's out there.You can buy a NEW Taurus Millennium for $400 with a spare magazine, for example. You should be able to buy a 9mm Glock for that in excellent used condition, probably with 10-round mags anyway. Dealers only want to pay $300-350 to take in a used one, so they can sell at a profit for $400 if they want to.I would not NECESSARILY buy a police trade-in, as many private owners shoot much less than police have to in practice. I have had private owners tell me they only put 50 rounds through a gun, or never shot it, and the original factory lubricant was still visible on a very clean gun. 9mm has been so popular (and is now just passing its peak, probably) that there should be plenty to choose from. Don't buy the old 3-digit model S&W 9's, if you get a Smith buy a 4-digit model number in semi-auto. The four-digit models are newer and better made, more reliable without any custom work. They may be a little more expensive than other brands mentioned though (except H&K).Keep shopping until you find one close to what you want and if it's a little higher ask the dealer what he'll take for the gun. A lot of them will come down if they know you only have X dollars for a given gun. Shop the show and then go back after you've compared. Don't grab the first thing unless you think it's an unbelievable deal and will be gone soon. I like Glocks for reliability, general indestructibility, and lifespan, and I like the new Millenniums by Taurus for design, size and comfort in the hand, and only a 9 lb. trigger pull (hammer strike will repeat on a misfired primer). S&W's have more parts, but they are well made. Depending on the model you may get a DA only or a Single/Double Action, which you may or may not prefer. I haven't gone S&W for that reason, though their new Chief's Special in .45 looks like fun.Don't know much about Rugers. H&Ks or Sigs are going to cost you more than you maybe have right now. The Sig 226 has been around a long time though and you might find a deal on one, or a 228. I don't like the old H&K's with the big grip safeties on the frontstrap, but the new USP is nice, just expensive. I know I may get lied to but I always ask about a gun's history anyway and see what I can find out. Dealers usually don't know, but if you buy from another attendee he may be able to tell you how many rounds he's put through it. 50 is nothing, 200 is barely broken in on most guns. Beware of somebody that starts talking several hundreds of rounds, or can't remember how many. You can do better. Unless you know Browning Hi-Powers I'd be careful, there are some iffy clones out there right now, I've been told. Don't buy a hi-point (you know that already).Bottom line is, $400 will buy me a new or near-new gun these days in the 9mm. They're not rare, and there's a lot to choose from, new and used. Hold out for a good one. Anyway, that's my dime's worth of rambling.
    "The 2nd Amendment is about defense, not hunting. Long live the gun shows, and reasonable access to FFLs. Join the NRA -- I'm a Life Member."
  • niklasalniklasal Member Posts: 776 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Full size handgun...BUY A RUGER P89They are extremely reliable (mine has 5k+ rounds through it, not one malfunction). They are inexpensive ($350), but with the exception of Evil ATF, I have NEVER heard anything negative about it other than it's trigger pull. For concealed carry...I've actually heard a LOT of good things about the Kel-Tec P11. You can get one NIB for about $225. I hear it DOES need some finishing work before it's ready to go, like a ramp polish.
    NIKLASAL@hotmail.com
  • Walt NunleyWalt Nunley Member Posts: 228 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    YEAH I KNEW THAT IT WAS GONNA BE LIKE THIS HA HA.I KNOW MOST OF WHAT YOU GUYS HAVE SAID,I MADE A BOOBOO AND DIDNT LIST MY INTENTIONS FOR THE GUN.SIZE DOESNT MATTER FOR ME,IT WILL PRIMARILY BE USED FOR PLINKING,I HAVE A SIG-226 IN .40 S&W AND I CAN CARRY IT IN A STRONG SIDE SLIDE HOLSTER AND WITH A JACKET ON IT DISAPPEARS.IM A PRETTY BIG BOY.SINCE IT WILL BE USED ALOT I NEED A FAIRLY STOUT GUN.I GOT A PT111 FOR HOME DEFENSE,WE SHOOT IT ENOUGH TO KEEP ME AND MY WIFE COMPETENT WITH IT BUT IT IS NOT ONE THAT I WOULD WANT TO PUT THOUSANDS OF ROUNDS THROUGH.I GOT A BUDDY WITH A RUGER P-89 WEVE SHOT IT AND SHOT IT AND IT HAS NEVER GAVE A MOMENTS TROUBLE,HOWEVER,I DONT LIKE THE WAY THE SAFETY/DECOCKER IS ON THE AFT END OF THE SLIDE WHERE I GRAB IT TO WORK THE ACTION.I BEEN KINDA LOOKIN AT A BERETTA,I MAY BE ABLE TO GET ONE IN GREAT SHAPE FOR MY BUDGET WHICH IS LIKE I SAID PRETTY FIRM AT $400,AND DANO LIKES THEM WHICH DONT TELL HIM I SAID SO BUT THAT MEANS SOMETHING TO ME(HES ALWAYS BEEN PRETTY MUCH ON THE MONEY WITH OTHER GUNS)HA HA.WAY LONG RESPONSE THANX FOR ALL THE INPUT FEEL FREE TO WEIGH IN WITH ALL YOUR THOUGHTS WALT
    edited November -1
    WITTUM,ILL BE GOING TO MIKE HOLLOWAYS GUN SHOW IN THE SMOKIES,IN KNOXVILLE TN
    edited November -1
    Walt --If you want to put thousands of rounds through a gun with no levers in inconvenient places that will plink all day without a hiccup, you are talking about a good used Glock 17 or 19 -- unless you are planning to shoot unjacketed lead. It should be easy to find someone who will sell you a good used Glock 17 or 19 for $400 and, ugly or not, you can shoot all day long with factory ammo. Good sights, good grip, low muzzle flip. Everybody I've ever taken to the range has liked shooting the Glock better than whatever else we took with us. Any Glock that hasn't been abused will still look like new with a slight patina of oil rubbed in. Last gun show I was at I stopped by a Glock armorer who was set up there and changed every little thing I wanted to make my gun just to my liking -- trigger pull, sights, grip plug, you name it they've got it reasonable. Holsters of all kinds. Rack the slide and you'll see the difference between it and the PT111 immediately. Then pull the trigger and you'll find that you don't have to have a single action 1911 cocked and locked to get a decent 5 pound pull for every shot. People have shot tens of thousands of rounds through them without a problem, left then in salt water for months, dropped them from helicopters and they still look and work great. And Glock will fix them and send them back to you free if ever you need it.Did I mention you should definitely try one of these?
    "The 2nd Amendment is about defense, not hunting. Long live the gun shows, and reasonable access to FFLs. Join the NRA -- I'm a Life Member."
    edited November -1
    SHOT A GLOCK 23 DIDNT CARE FOR IT AT ALL IT JUMPED LIKE A WILDCAT AND I COULDNT HIT VERY WELL WITH IT.IVE BEEN TOLD ITS BECAUSE THE 23 IS A COMPACT VERSION IN .40.THIS COULD BE TRUE BUT I HAVENT DISCOUNTED THEM COMPLETELY CAUSE I THINK WITH A FULL SIZE (MODEL 17) AND THE SMALLER 9MM CARTRIDGE I MIGHT LIKE IT BETTER.I KNOW GLOCKS ARE GREAT GUNS BUT ITS HARD TO BEAT A SIG SAUER WHICH IS MY FAVORITE AND WHAT I MEASURE ALL GUNS AGAINST.I HAVE NEVER SHOT A FULL SIZE GLOCK IN ANY CALIBER BUT IM PLANNING ON IT B4 I DECIDE CAUSE IN THE BACK OF MY MIND I THINK I WOULD LIKE A FULL SIZE
  • royc38royc38 Member Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try the Witness line. You might be surprised.
  • WittumWittum Member Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Walt, i was hoping you were gonna say Wichita, because if you were i would have the goods for you.
  • gregousgreggregousgreg Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try a Star firestar Plus, if you can find a used one, they are the most underrated guns out there, pick one up for 200-250, and buy ammo, at least a 1000 rounds
  • OtomanOtoman Member Posts: 554
    edited November -1
    Walt since you like Sigs why don't you buy a P-239 (Sweet Gun) My wife has one and loves it.
  • niklasalniklasal Member Posts: 776 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey WALT, if you are thinking about a full size Glock, the G22, the full size 40 is a SMOOTH shooter for me. It has a smooth controlled recoil and is a far cry from the snappy 9mm. If you get a chance I recommend it highly. The Glock 36 subcompact 45 slimline is suprisingly smooth and accurate as well. I placed 2 inch groupings at 25 yards without even trying. (I'm not sure if that's good, but it's good for me)By the way, I got my G22 with Trjicons for $350 on GB used. Maybe an option for you to buy instead of 9mm.
    NIKLASAL@hotmail.com
  • smooth_operatorsmooth_operator Member Posts: 227 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Walt, Through the years, I have made mistakes in purchasing which had a lot of impact on my ego. A few years ago, I decided to sell my first HK USP and move into the 92 lineup from Beretta. Needless to say I was stubborn and bought the Beretta (because everyone said they were good guns; they are.) without trying it out first. The same day I shot it...I was horrified. The muzzle was so much lighter than my HK and was throwing of my balance/aim completely. It took me about two months to get my bearings right and completely adopt to it. All the models mentioned here (okay, almost all) are good firearms with the exception of its little quirks. Ruger's seem to be good for the money and for $400 were talking NEW. try a Beretta, they are great shooters...rack the slide and youll see. HK's and SIG's are great too, but expensive. Someday, I'll stop kicking myself for not buying a brand new SIG210 for $1300 six months ago. good luck,-Smooth
    Life is the leading cause of death.Everything else is just a contributing factor.[This message has been edited by smooth_operator (edited 02-10-2002).]
    edited November -1
    Walt --If I were you and measured everything else against a SIG (which is fine), I'd sell a couple of my extra holsters & accessories on Gunbroker and scare up another hundred bucks somehow. That should get you into like-new Sig territory and you can have a 226. Don't settle for less than you really want unless it's just out of your economic line, is my attitude. As far as the Glock goes, keep in mind there are aftermarket springs and spring guides for Glocks that may help your personal adjustments, and yes, I think you'll find the full size 9mm is a little more to your liking. Personally, I'd try a slip-on grip too. They don't cost much and might stick the gun to your hand a bit better. Glocks traditionally are supposed to buck less because the slide is down closer to your hand, but perception is everything...
  • smokinggunsmokinggun Member Posts: 590 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with some of the above but I really like my IMI Baby Eagle the most and new the price is pretty good probably $400-$475 They come in many sizes and options.
    edited November -1
    smoking --I was going to mention the Baby Eagle too, and the idea above about looking at an EAA Witness is another good one, I think.
  • thesupermonkeythesupermonkey Member Posts: 3,905 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Baby Eagle is a fine weapon, but I personally, I don't like the safety on the slide...
  • SUBMARINERSUBMARINER Member Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    JUST MADE A DEAL ON THE AUCTION!FULL SIZE H&K USP 9MM WITH 60 RNDS THROUGH IT FOR $460.IS THIS THE SMOKIN DEAL I THOUGHT IT WAS?
    SUBMARINE SAILOR,TRUCK DRIVER,NE'ER DO WELL, INSTIGATOR,AND RUSTY WALLACE FAN