In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Rechargeable battery ?????

COONASSCOONASS Member Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2003 in General Discussion
Regular alkaline batteries , say size c and AA are 1.5 volts

BUT on rechargeable ones they are only 1.2 volts ???????

What's up with this...........

I looking to get some after a little education..........

We Live in a World of Give And Take, But A Lot Of People Won't Give What it Takes.

Comments

• Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    You may be confusing Alkaline with Nicad. You should not recharge Alkaline batteries, but it is OK to regharge Nicad's. And you are right, non-rechargable batteries are 1.5 volts, and some of the Nicad cells are 1.2 volts. There are some 1.5 volt Nicad's, but you have to watch.

The NRA is on our side!
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,013 ******
    edited November -1
    Some nicads do put out less than their alkaline counterparts. Not a big deal in most multiple-battery applications.

It became a problem many years ago with stun guns. The Nova stun guns came with 7.2V ni-cads, same size as an alkaline 9V. They ran fine on the ni-cads, but if you put a 9V battery in, it would burn the victim.

I tried rechargeables for awhile, but they were too much trouble.

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com, the best gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I guess what confuses me is ..... My deer cam takes four
    C's...... A new energizer is about 1.63 volts , out the pack
    and when it gets around 1.3 volts the camera says its time to change
    the batteries , if I don't it soons shuts down.........at least these
    are the readings off my volt meter...... I put these used batteries
    in flashlights for walking around the camp, which don't last long..

We Live in a World of Give And Take, But A Lot Of People Won't Give What it Takes.

Looking at NiMh not NiCad, they say nimh are much longer lasting
    than the nicad's......????????????????????????
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Nickle Metal Hydride (NiMH) are better than Nickle Cadium (NiCad), and Lithium are the best. All three of these are rechargable.

The NRA is on our side!
  • Options
    maggiethecatmaggiethecat Member Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you can recharge lithium??????????????
    the pack said not to. i use them in my gps when out hiking or snowboarding in back country. also in my flasklights, remotes, etc...
    had a friend that worked at the batteries plus in arlington. great deals(free)

SGT RRG

The greatest happiness is to see your enemy scattered before you, to see his village in ashes, and to gather to your bed his wives and daughters.-Genghis Khan 1226
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Maggiethecat,

I said Lithium, I should have said Lithium Ion. The regular Lithium batteries you buy across the counter will explode if you try to recharge them. I need to be careful what I say.

PS, Happy New Year to Michelle, you and the kids. Where you been? I haven't seen you on line for a couple of days. I'm taking Sandy to see her mother on New Years, and I have to be back at work Thursday. When the river land dries out, we need to get together and do some shooting.

The NRA is on our side!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks for the comments...........

any other comments???????????[;)][;)][;)][;)][;)][;)][;)][;)][;)]

• Options
    offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sure -- Not any charger can be used to charge any rechargable. Use the wrong recharger on a "rechargable alkaline" (yes, they do exist) and you will fry them in the charger, complete with bubbling acid.

As for Lithim Ion, I love 'em, they last longer and work better in cell phones, and have no "memory" and can be left in the charger too long without damaging them, unlike some of the older NiCads.

Some Lithium batteries are too strong for some appliances made for a regular 9-volt. I've blown the circuit breaker on one of my pieces of musical equipment, trying to use a Lithium 9-volt in a battery-powered item designed for an alkaline 9 volt.

So keep your chargers separated out, and use the right charger for the right type of rechargeable battery. And don't plan on using Lithiums in all gadgets designed for alkalines.

Life NRA Member

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."
  • Options
    edited November -1
    BTT [:D][:D][:D][:D]