In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Motor Oil...............????????

COONASSCOONASS Member Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2002 in General Discussion
Now that I have that new Quad Cab.......GAS,V-8........What Type
of motor oil should I use........I used Castrol in the past with other
engines,,What do ya'll use , but more important why??????????

Comments

• Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Quaker State. You never have to change it, just add to it. If you ever tear down an engine that had Quaker in it you'll know why.
  • Options
    will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    Mobil 1 Synthetic
    It's clean and it is slicker'n two greased eels scrumpin' in a bucket of snot. That means it makes stuff last longer!

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I use whatever is cheapest, be it Motorcraft, Walmart's SureTech, or whatever, so long as it is a detergent blend of the proper viscosity and API rating. My car has 90,000 miles on it and while I have replaced brakes, starters, mufflers, shocks, etc., the engine runs as well as it did when new. My feeling is if it meets certain standards that are good enough to satisfy warranty requirements on all new cars and trucks, why pay more? Just paying for the name, I figure.

"...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conf
  • Options
    LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    Whatever you do, get that crappy 5W-30 factory oil out of your new engine. It IS a new truck isn't it?

Don't put synthetic in it right away. Let your engine break-in for five or ten thousand miles. Then go with synthetic.

I use Castrol Syntec 10W-40 full synthetic in my vehicles, Amsoil 20W-50 synthetic in my bikes.

I would break-in a new engine with regular Castrol 10W-40 and then switch to Syntec 10W-40 synthetic after several thousand miles.

That's my opinion...for what it's worth.

Lord Lowrider the LoquaciousMember:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets She was only a fisherman's daughter,But when she saw my rod she reeled.
  • Options
    daddodaddo Member Posts: 3,408
    edited November -1
    There are a lot of good oils, but, Amsoil is by clear the best. A 5w30w in Amsoil is fine. No one has mentioned oil filters and clearly these will make the difference in engine life. The two best are Amsoil and mobile-1 as they clean the oil down to 10 microns and have a greater capacity.
    I've seen engines go 300,000 miles + on Amsoil without any teardowns.
    Also you can run Amsoil for 25,000 mi. before changing anything but the filter every 3,000 mi.
  • Options
    reb8600reb8600 Member Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use castrol in all my vehicles. One of them has 300,000 miles on it so it must be good. The main thing to remember is to change your oil regularly. It will help your motor last longer.

Guncontrol-The ability to hit what your aiming at.
  • Options
    martzkj@msn.commartzkj@msn.com Member Posts: 582 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Stick with your favorite brand and change it like clock work. Their is no replacement for preventive maintance. My dads dakota is going stonge with 227,000 and never had a drop of the over priced stuff. Plus the motor has never been apart for anything. Same to be said with his last car chevy m/c 269,000 then the tranny went out. Bottom line it's all in how you care for it.
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Okay, dumb question. What the heck is wrong with 5W-30?

SSG idsman75, U.S. ARMY
  • Options
    martzkj@msn.commartzkj@msn.com Member Posts: 582 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nothing is wrong with 5-30 if that is what is needed for your motor. Just to many people from the old school. If you look in your owners manual. You will see different oil grades suggested depending on the climate. I use 10-30 and 5-30 depending on the time of year. I use 5-30 when things start getting cool and when things start getting warm 10-30.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ditto on will270win's statement about Mobil 1. I use the triple synthetic blend with the triple synthetic filter. Dealer told me when I bought the truck that they actually recommend using synthetic after a petroleum oil break-in. It will NOT void the factory warranty. I have seen motors on amsoil and mobil 1 go an easy 300,000 miles with no major part replacement. Corvettes come from the factory with Mobil 1 in them, GM wouldn't use synthetic in their flagship sports car unless it was the right stuff. I followed their lead and use it in my new GM truck. I would use it in my other two vehicles, but once they have gotten old enough to have a gasket leak and let a little oil leak around any of the seals, It is too late to use synthetic IMHO, unless you don't mind paying for the occasional quart to replace what drips out. I just change their oil with petroleum on a regular basis.

When in doubt...empty the magazine!!
  • Options
    LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    The auto makers started putting 5W-30 in their new vehicles because it helps them get better gas mileage. That water-thin oil exerts less drag on the engine when the oil is cold. There's no way that it lubricates better than a heavier multi-grade after the engine heats up. And since today's vehicles run hotter (also a gas mileage thing) the 5W-30 oil just gets too thin. Cars used to come with 160, 170, 175 degree thermostats. Now they all run 195 degree or higher. I replaced the 'stat in my Jeep with a 180 degree since the Jet Performance ignition module I have in it is calibrated for a 180.

I wouldn't use anything but 10W-40 oil in my rigs.

Lord Lowrider the LoquaciousMember:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets She was only a fisherman's daughter,But when she saw my rod she reeled.
  • Options
    COONASSCOONASS Member Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Guys...........Sometimes you really get great info
    here...............Microns with an oil filter...What does
    a standard oil filter do (GM,MOTORCRAFT,etc) get down to(microns)????

coonass