In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Marlin Camp 9 carbine

CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭
edited October 2012 in General Discussion
Took a ride to Billings MT today, wandering around the mall, waiting for wife to finish shopping, stopped in at Scheels and saw a Marlin Camp 9 Carbine for sale at $449. It appeared to be unfired, mint condition, with matching box and paperwork. Came with a factory blocked 4 round mag and an aftermarket 12 round mag. I have never seen these four round blocked mags before and was wondering if they are worth more left intact? There is a plastic block riveted to the magazine follower which makes loading more than 4 rounds impossible. It could be easily removed but not sure if that would affect the value of the mag? Looking on the auction side, looks like the Marlin was a fair deal, but not a steal by any means. I have never seen one new in the original box before and that is why I grabbed it. I tried to haggle them down in price but they would not budge. No tax in MT so I saved about $27.00.

Comments

  • hdcolt51hdcolt51 Member Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • MaxOHMSMaxOHMS Member Posts: 14,715
    edited November -1
    So, do you have a S&W 59 series?
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,709 ******
    edited November -1
    Take the mag apart. Drive/drill out the rivet. Throw away the insert. Re-assemble the mag. Don't look back. I have done the same with a half-dozen of the 4-round mags.
  • CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nunn
    Take the mag apart. Drive/drill out the rivet. Throw away the insert. Re-assemble the mag. Don't look back. I have done the same with a half-dozen of the 4-round mags.


    Its not worth any more in original, blocked condition? If not, I will drill it out and make it a 12 rounder!
  • CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MaxOHMS
    So, do you have a S&W 59 series?


    No, I have a 6906 that uses 12 round mags, gotta see if they will fit.
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CS8161
    quote:Originally posted by nunn
    Take the mag apart. Drive/drill out the rivet. Throw away the insert. Re-assemble the mag. Don't look back. I have done the same with a half-dozen of the 4-round mags.


    Its not worth any more in original, blocked condition? If not, I will drill it out and make it a 12 rounder!

    Drill it bro....[;)]
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Makes me feel guilty about only paying 150.00 for mine. Don
  • fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    before you shoot get a blackjack new buffer and 16lb spring the factory springs were to weak and that is the cause of split stock just google blackjack buffers free ship when i got mine for the 45 camp
  • William81William81 Member Posts: 23,025 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CS8161
    quote:Originally posted by MaxOHMS
    So, do you have a S&W 59 series?


    No, I have a 6906 that uses 12 round mags, gotta see if they will fit.


    I have a 669 and a C9...the can use the same mags...
  • llamallama Member Posts: 2,778
    edited November -1
    Keep it as is and just get some 59 mags. If you end up in Florida (and other states) it may be legal to hunt with... IF you have a 5 round or less magazine.
  • CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by llama
    Keep it as is and just get some 59 mags. If you end up in Florida (and other states) it may be legal to hunt with... IF you have a 5 round or less magazine.




    The box is marked "4 round magazine" so maybe to a collector, the four round mag will be a plus. I think I will keep the mag intact and just use the aftermarket mags if I decide to shoot it.

    Thanks to everyone for the responses, I appreciate the info. I will look into getting the buffer and extra power spring, I'm sure Midway or Brownells will have them if I can't find them over on the auction side.
  • CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fordsix
    before you shoot get a blackjack new buffer and 16lb spring the factory springs were to weak and that is the cause of split stock just google blackjack buffers free ship when i got mine for the 45 camp


    Do you know what the factory spring weight is on the Camp 9?
  • onepopperonepopper Member Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just love the 9 mm camp nine. I bought one on gunbroker when the person selling said it was just like new. I cleaned it up and oiled it and put it into the safe. About three months later I decided to shoot it. I loaded the magazine and fired the first shot but the thing jammed. The plastic buffer was broken and jammed the action. I took a careful look at the bore and found to my disgust the bore was burned out just like the M60 bores after concentrated fire. (I was a Navy huey door gunner in Nam). Outside, the little carbine looked new, even had the sticker on the stock. I sent the carbine back to Marlin Co. They replaced the barrel and the buffer along with the recoil spring. The charge? $140.00 and postage. I have decided not to buy any firearm on the internet. Beware the people who will take advantage of you. But aside, the Marlin Camp nine is a great little weapon and I recommend it highly. Just don't fire magazine after magazine through it in a short period of time. Use your head and let the barrel cool between shots.
  • SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,195 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by onepopper
    I just love the 9 mm camp nine. I bought one on gunbroker when the person selling said it was just like new. I cleaned it up and oiled it and put it into the safe. About three months later I decided to shoot it. I loaded the magazine and fired the first shot but the thing jammed. The plastic buffer was broken and jammed the action. I took a careful look at the bore and found to my disgust the bore was burned out just like the M60 bores after concentrated fire. (I was a Navy huey door gunner in Nam). Outside, the little carbine looked new, even had the sticker on the stock. I sent the carbine back to Marlin Co. They replaced the barrel and the buffer along with the recoil spring. The charge? $140.00 and postage. I have decided not to buy any firearm on the internet. Beware the people who will take advantage of you. But aside, the Marlin Camp nine is a great little weapon and I recommend it highly. Just don't fire magazine after magazine through it in a short period of time. Use your head and let the barrel cool between shots.


    A man has to be some what careful, but I have bought several used and a couple of old stock new firearms over the internet. All of them were as described. I am sure if I buy enough I'll run across one that is less than expected but I have found the auction side to be a good way to find what I am looking for without driving all over the country looking for it.
  • CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hangfire
    Good info here..

    http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/camp-stickies-faq/62900-marlin-camp-9-45-frequently-asked-questions-faq.html

    I use 6906 mags in mine..


    Thanks, alot of useful unformation in that link!
Sign In or Register to comment.