In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

I screwed up an auction...

CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,596 ✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Had a set of 257STW dies for sale...had one person place a bid at my starting price, then got an e-mail asking me if I would end the auction and accept the starting price as payment. I did and ended the auction, not knowing that the buyer who e-mailed me about ending the auction, was NOT the buyer who placed a bid! So the guy gives me his cc info and I ship the dies out...then today, I get payment in the mail for the same set of dies from the buyer who actually placed the bid and should have won the dies! Now I have some explaining to do, it was my fault, I should have checked the buyers contact info before accepting payment and shipping the dies! Pretty dumb mistake on my part. The buyer who bought the dies was not honest, he did not tell me that he had not placed a bid. Live and learn.

Comments

• Survivalist86Survivalist86 Member Posts: 3,105
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Chris8161
    Had a set of 257STW dies for sale...had one person place a bid at my starting price, then got an e-mail asking me if I would end the auction and accept the starting price as payment. I did and ended the auction, not knowing that the buyer who e-mailed me about ending the auction, was NOT the buyer who placed a bid! So the guy gives me his cc info and I ship the dies out...then today, I get payment in the mail for the same set of dies from the buyer who actually placed the bid and should have won the dies! Now I have some explaining to do, it was my fault, I should have checked the buyers contact info before accepting payment and shipping the dies! Pretty dumb mistake on my part. The buyer who bought the dies was not honest, he did not tell me that he had not placed a bid. Live and learn.

Should not have tried to screw GB out of a couple of bucks.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Survivalist86

He quite obviously didn't.
  • 41 nut41 nut Member Posts: 3,016
    edited November -1
    Buy a new set of dies and ship them to the original bidder, he won the auction for them and now you must deliver.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 41 nut
    Buy a new set of dies and ship them to the original bidder, he won the auction for them and now you must deliver.

That or refund his money and offer an explanation...see if he'll accept a refund.
  • Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,909 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have you got any "prizes" laying around that you can offer the winning bidder? He may understand and not mind getting something else you are willing to part with. I would give him some options to choose from just so he doesn't feel like he is being forced into something.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    5. 'Side Deals' / Non-Winning Bidders. Any transaction made between a non-winning bidder and a seller is a 'side deal' and is outside the scope of this auction site and its rules. Our Privacy Policy prohibits us from providing contact information for users involved in a 'side deal'. Buyers and sellers involved in a 'side deal' cannot post feedback and cannot use the auction site's problem resolution tools. Our Buyer's Protection does not cover 'side deals'. We provide absolutely no assistance of any kind for buyers and sellers involved in a 'side deal' in any way in the event of problems.
    If a bid does not meet or exceed the reserve price (if any) on the item, then the bid is not a winning bid and the non-winning bidder is not obligated to buy the item. Sellers are prohibited from soliciting side deals with non-winning bidders during or after the auction. Non-winning bidders are prohibited from contacting sellers and requesting a side deal during or after the auction. Soliciting side deals may result in suspension or or termination of your account.
  • matwormatwor Member Posts: 20,594
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CaptFun
    5. 'Side Deals' / Non-Winning Bidders. Any transaction made between a non-winning bidder and a seller is a 'side deal' and is outside the scope of this auction site and its rules. Our Privacy Policy prohibits us from providing contact information for users involved in a 'side deal'. Buyers and sellers involved in a 'side deal' cannot post feedback and cannot use the auction site's problem resolution tools. Our Buyer's Protection does not cover 'side deals'. We provide absolutely no assistance of any kind for buyers and sellers involved in a 'side deal' in any way in the event of problems.
    If a bid does not meet or exceed the reserve price (if any) on the item, then the bid is not a winning bid and the non-winning bidder is not obligated to buy the item. Sellers are prohibited from soliciting side deals with non-winning bidders during or after the auction. Non-winning bidders are prohibited from contacting sellers and requesting a side deal during or after the auction. Soliciting side deals may result in suspension or or termination of your account.

[:0][:0][:0][:0][:0][:0]

Guess he told you how the cow ate the cabbage!!!!!!!
  • hrbiehrbie Member Posts: 521 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I dont think it was a side deal. Seller was under the impression that the person that had contacted him was the high bidder. I thought that if you ended an auction early that you still sold to the highest bidder. Just a mix up, been in a situation like that. Couldnt get primers sent to the guy so i sent him his money back, found out what he reloaded and sent him some free brass. We both got good feedback and everything was square.
  • CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,596 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Survivalist86

I guess your reading comprehension needs some work.
    edited November -1
    It was most definitely NOT a side deal, I ended the auction at $40 agreeing to sell the item at that price to who I thought was the correct bidder. It was an honest mistake, not a trick to try and cheat GB out of a few bucks. I will contact the winning bidder and offer him some options and hope he understands that these things happen...first time it happened to me. If you look at my feedback, you can see I am an upfront, honest seller.
  • CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It sounds like an honest mistake on your part, however that was clearly not the intention of the person contacting you, which was my point.
  • WulfmannWulfmann Member Posts: 4,900 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't blame the guy that tested your experience and honesty.

I believe you when you say you made that mistake but pointing a finger at anyone else is passing the buck.

I have a simple policy, I never end any auction early and I never ask anyone else to.

I agree with the statement you owe this guy the set of dies he bid on and the small loss for buying and sending (You can have them shipped directly to him by most mail order) will make you feel when it mattered you stood up and did what was right.

Don't ask what would Jesus do, you are not Jesus.
    Ask what you would be impressed with if you had won that bid and the seller made that mistake to you.

Wulfmann
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    "Fools learn from their own mistakes. I learn from the mistakes of others"
    Otto von Bismarck
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CaptFun
    It sounds like an honest mistake on your part, however that was clearly not the intention of the person contacting you, which was my point.

Yes, thank you! I am going to make sure the correct buyer is refunded or made satisfied with the transaction. I already e-mailed him and explained what happened, just waiting for his response to see what he would like me to do.