In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Time for a New CCW -- Need Help Choosing.

FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2008 in General Discussion
Okay, so I have come to a realization; that is, it's time for a new concealed carry pistol. I fully intended my EAA Witness .45 Compact to be my primary carry gun, but the reality is, it's just too heavy and bulky for me to carry well or conveniently (I'm about 5'7" 150 lbs.) Seems that the only ones I ever carry now are the NAA mini revolver or the Beretta .22 Bobcat.

So, I'm thinking on new guns that won't break the bank. Snubbies are always a good bet, I know. Also have been considering the Keltec PF-9 and P-11 (don't know which is better, although I like the larger mag capacity of the P-11). I also like the belt clip on the keltecs, as it might prove pretty convenient.

Anyhow, give me your opinions. I'm open to anything. Biggest considerations are weight and price (hard ceiling of $400). As far as caliber, I want something larger than the .380 or .32 pocket guns.

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    Take a good look at the snub nose revolvers on the market. They are light and powerful, with many of the new airlights wieghing around 13 to 14oz and being chambered in 357 Mag they are also much more powerful than they 32 ACP. Ruger, S&W and Taurus all make guns that will fit your style and budget.
  • Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm old fashioned. Give me a revolver if it is time to save my butt. Point and pull the trigger, don't go bang, pull the trigger again. As close to idiot proof as posible. A good thing when things go South. Ruger/Smith what ever feels best. My preference is a 3 inch barrel for concealment. 38 Special worked for cops for years and makes for cheap practice. Loaded with +P's for carry, I will feel secure. If you need more than 5 or 6 you are probably screwed anyway. That's my opinion, and like butt holes, everyone has one. Except like everyone else my opinion is the right one. Dreher
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,651 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I picked up a brand new Taurus 850 .38spl for $330 out the door-it is very light and packs a bigger punch than the mouse guns. It can handle +p. They make several models-some with hammers-some concealed like mine.
  • Options
    KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    well a hard ceiling of 4 bills rules out my reccomendation of a glock, unless you got lucky.

your best bet, as has been posted here no less that 43,000,000 million times is handle and if you can fire as many different models as you can get your hands on. actually physically using a gun is the only real way to determine whether or not its going to be a good fit.
  • Options
    gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    EAA makes a Poly witness in 45, 9mm and 10mm. Lighter than the one you have now and just under 4 in barrel. My 2 cents [8D]