In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Harley Question

cheezecheeze Member Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2002 in General Discussion
Dear GB Brother;

I've never written to you before, but I really need your
advice on what could be a crucial decision.

I've suspected for some time now that my wife has been
cheating on me. The usual signs... Phone rings but if I
answer, the caller hangs up. My wife has been going out with
the girls a lot recently although when I ask their names she
always says, "Just some friends from work, you don't know
them."

I always stay awake to look out for her taxi coming home,
but she always walks down the drive, although I can hear a
car setting off, as if she has gotten out of the car round
the corner. Why? Maybe she wasn't in a taxi? I once picked
her cell phone up just to see what time it was and she went
berserk and screamed that I should never touch her phone
again and why was I checking up on her.

Anyway, I have never broached the subject with my wife. I
think deep down I just didn't want to know the truth, but
last night she went out again and I decided to really check
on her. I decided I was going to park my Harley Davidson
Heritage next to the garage and then hide behind it so I
could get a good view of the whole street when she comes
home.

It was at that moment, crouching behind my Harley, that I
noticed that the rocker boxes on my engine seem to be
leaking a little oil. Is this something I can fix myself or
should I take it back to the dealer?

Thanks,

Bob
[:D]

Comments

• cheezecheeze Member Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm trying to order a Clymers manual for my brother-in-laws 1995 Heritage Softtail and I need Harley's model designation for it (ie, FL something something something). It's been sitting for a couple years and I told him I'd get it running again for him. He already picked up a fresh battery for it, so I figure I'll drain out as much of the old gas as I can, put in fresh gas with a little fuel cleaner mixed in and hope the carbs aren't too gummed up. I'll change the oil and filter while I'm at it (I draw the line at washing it for him, tho[:)]). If anyone knows of anything in particular I should look at on it, let me know.

Once I get it running OK, it will, of course, require repeated extended test rides to make sure its really OK[8D]
    edited November -1
    who has rode a rigid frame bike? i am thinking of buying a kit and building one out of a shovel. was wondering how they were on longer rides they look cool but seems to me they would beat you to death.
    edited November -1
    I just found a project bike in the paper and I know nothing about it, so I thought I'd ask you guys. It is a '69 sportster, fresh paint, rebuilt engine lots of new parts, twisted spoke wheels and origional wheels, triple tree wide glide fork system, retrofitted electric starter, rearend has been welded into a hard tail, all chrome looks new except for exhaust pipes, all other parts look minty fresh including motor, everything appears to be there except for the wiring harness. The engine is together but all the rest is in a basket.How much would you pay for something like this?Where can I find the wire harness for this bike with an electric starter?Where can I run a title check to make sure it's on the up and up?What questions can you think of that I should ask him?All opinions/knowledge are greatly appreciated.Thanks
    Dragon's Lair Fighting Arts, Dragon Style Wind Fist Kung Fu.
  • aby80aby80 Member Posts: 245 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You should be able to get the wiring harness at any Harley shop. I had a new 1970 Harley along with several other Harleys. The 1970 Harleys were electric start. Get the Motor Number and the Frame Number, located at the front of the frame usually on the right side next to where the forks are mounted. Take these numbers to your State MVD Office and ask if they will run a check of the numbers to see if they are stolen. Hope this info helps.
  • berto64berto64 Member Posts: 57 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If not hot, it's still not running.If the present owner has copies of invoices of all work done, get a copy and go talk to the poeple who did the work. I've never been a fan of the 'iron head' sporties but a have several brothers that swear by'em.Knew an old boy that bought a show bike off the floor at a big bike show.When he got it home, it had no rods, pistons,the tranny was just an empty box.If you ain't married to them, Don't trust'em.Even then it's not a good idea all the time.berto
    What! Trade my M-14 for that plastic piece of ___t!Endeavor to Persevere
  • TRIGGERSGHOSTTRIGGERSGHOST Member Posts: 59 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    And yes Smith and Wesson does make some parts for Harley Davidson.Bet you didn't know that.DEAD HORSE WALKING
    Remember everybody looks good 5 minutes before the bar closes.
  • LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    I'd personally steer clear of an "iron head" Sportster. Or any Sportster, for that matter. The old Sporties ran so damn hot that any extended high-speed riding would seize them up. The engines also have no longevity. 25,000 miles on an iron head and it's ready for a rebuild. Why would you want a swingarm frame that's been welded into a hard tail? That's a big NEGATIVE in my assessment of the bike.If you're still hell-bent to buy it, I wouldn't give much over a thousand bucks for it.
    Lord Lowrider the LoquaciousMember:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets She was only a fisherman's daughter,But when she saw my rod she reeled.
  • RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lowrider is right. I've seen a spark plug burn a hole in the rear piston because the rear cylinder gets hotter then the front cylinder. A lot of people I know who have early half Harleys run a cooler spark plug in the back.
    Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, you get to discover, for yourself, all the little things that were wrong with the bike. Why would you want to make all that work for yourself? Just my personal opinion, but I'd AVOID ANY H-D that's a "project" bike and particularly one that doesn't have an "Evo" engine. Went to Sturgis in '96 with a friend who had a '72 "Shovel" (ie "ironhead"). Not once, REPEAT, NOT ONCE did it run all day. Took 5 days to get there and 4 to get back and cost ME $700. That was only because I didn't have the heart to leave him stranded. Did he repay the $$$$?Don't be silly! If I remember correctly, he didn't even say thanks. Haven't spoken to him in 5 years.Mudge the acrimonious
    I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!
  • jdb123jdb123 Member Posts: 471 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    has there ever been anything more overated than a harley-davidson motorcycle?[This message has been edited by jdb123 (edited 02-24-2002).]
  • LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    JDB123: I happen to like the hell out of my Harley. Over 70,000 miles and runs like a top.
    Lord Lowrider the LoquaciousMember:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets She was only a fisherman's daughter,But when she saw my rod she reeled.
  • RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used to have a super fast 750 Honda and a 56 Panhead. The only way to enjoy the Honda was to red line it, but the Harley I could enjoy just sitting at a redlight. I've had tha Panhead for 24 years now. Still enjoy the Hell out of it. Bought it for $1000.00. It's not pretty, but runs great and worth over $10,000.00 now. My Pan has been clocked at 126mph. Not bad for a six volt ridged.
    Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • mcneely77mcneely77 Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The inventor Arthur Davidson, of the Harley Davidson Motorcycle Corporation,died and went to heaven.At the gates, St. Peter told Arthur, "Since you've been such a good man andyour motorcycles have changed the world, your reward is, you can hang outwith anyone you want in Heaven."Arthur thought about it for a minute and then said, "I want to hang out withGod. "St. Peter took Arthur to the Throne Room, and introduced him to God. Arthur then asked God, "Hey, aren't you the inventor of woman? " God said, Ah, yes, " "Well, " said Arthur, "professional to professional, you have some majordesign flaws in your invention. 1. There's too much inconsistency in the front-end protrusion. 2. It chatters constantly at high speeds. 3. Most of the rear ends are too soft and wobble too much. 4. The intake is placed way to close to the exhaust and finally, 5. The maintenance costs are outrageous.""Hmmmm, you may have some good points there," replied God, "hold on."God went to his Celestial super computer, typed in a few words and waitedfor the results. The computer printed out a slip of paper and God read it. "Well, it may be true that my invention is flawed, " God said to Arthur,"but according to these numbers, more men are riding my invention thanyours."