In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

UNC Cancer Center

dav1965dav1965 Member Posts: 26,543 ✭✭✭
edited September 2016 in General Discussion
All i can say if you get sick in NC that is where you need to go. The doctors and nurses are amazing. On Mon and Wed he sees patients. On Tue and Thur he operates. On Friday he does research and or teaches.

Dr. Hackman would see me whenever i needed him. He never ever was to busy. I talked to his nurse about 10 days ago with questions about a CT scan and the doctor called today wanting to know my results.

He could tell i was upset with the care from Nash General in Rocky Mount NC. He told me to just come to UNC tomorrow and he would have everything set up.

I told him thanks but i will wait until Friday and if the test show anything i am going back to him.

He is a great Doctor. I would give him a 10 out of 10. Everyone at UNC Cancer Center was super nice. Nurses would come from all departments to see me no matter what i was there for.

I asked one once why they all come to talk to me and she did not want to say it. I talked her into it and she told me that i never complained about anything.

I would throw up on the floor from chemo and apologize for them having to clean my mess up. She also told me that they like to see the patients that were not supposed to make it.

She said that makes all the staff feel better when someone beats the odds.

This is where i am going now their last chance. Any other problems and i am running back to UNC.[:)]

Even though i am a Duke fan.

Comments

• Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dave,

I am with you.

I get "special" treatment"

The senior nurse said that I was always early, that I was always polite, and that her staff had noticed me helping other patients.

They all know me by name and take the time to say hello.

It makes a big difference in my outlook some days.

I actually passed out on Monday in the waiting room. Woke up on the floor with vomit on my shirt and a bad nosebleed.

It's humiliating to have no self control and to need help under these circumstances.

Mike
  • Options
    84Bravo184Bravo1 Member Posts: 11,109
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Barzillia
    Yep, I'm amazed at some of the attitudes I read in this forum.

What do people who threaten/ demand/ intimidate/act like * really think they will get ?

Better care ???

Care givers are human beings like everybody else.

+1. Barzillia.

Most People are Idiots, in regards to how to treat other People.

(And) Best to You, Dave.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Dave,

Keep us updated please.

Mike
  • Options
    dav1965dav1965 Member Posts: 26,543 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I go tomorrow for the third time to get the bone scan. I am going to the hospital this time so maybe they will have their junk together.

To tell the truth i am a little scared this time around. Everything i read about bone and lung cancer is better than what i went through last time.

My friend asked me to do something for him today and while i was welding something for him i was bent over and sometimes i drool because i can not feel my face.

When i was drooling blood was coming out of my mouth. His Grand Dad raised him and had lung cancer and my friend started to about cry.

My friend thinks of me like a dad because he started working for me at 18 and i basically taught him how to be a grown up.

Today when i left he told me that he is praying that everything is ok and that he loved me.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Dave,

Wish I could help shoulder the burden with you.

I have days were fear raises it's ugly bead.

It's tough to wrap my head around my mortality.

Being optimistic I have maybe a 30% chance of surviving my cancer.

I will admit that I have some strong hard to control emotional moments.

There is so much I still want to do with my family and friends.

I feel like I have let them down.

Mike
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Barzillia
    Yep, I'm amazed at some of the attitudes I read in this forum.

What do people who threaten/ demand/ intimidate/act like * really think they will get ?

Better care ???

Care givers are human beings like everybody else.

It is simply a reflection of society, whether it is parents with teachers, people with cops, flood victims towards volunteers or patients with medical staff the entitlement attitude is pervasive. Some folks feel they are owed. Then there are the kind, patient and appreciative folks that once and a while remind us "service" workers how it should be, so they are extra appreciated.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Before I was diagnosed I was being treated for an iron deficiency and low white cell count...

I was getting infusions And intermuscular shots twice a week.

This was nothing new to me.

When I was recovering from a mrsa staff infection I would get vancomicin via a rapid infuser.

This time around the senior nurse asked if she could sit someone with me and asked if I would look out for her.

A sweet and shy 13 year old girl recovering from a mrsa staff infection.

I don't like to judge others but this tween girl was dropped off alone for treatment.

The Vanco treatment is damned unpleasant - it's a hard road.

I talked he through things - sold her on the idea of a go bag and it's content.

Helped out when she became ill - vomited.

Told her about relaxation and breathing techniques that help.

As an adult I had difficulty coping with what this young girl is going through alone.

But I helped because it's the right thing to do.

Makes me wonder about things

Mike
  • Options
    nordnord Member Posts: 6,106
    edited November -1
    If there be a blessing in a horrible disease it's empathy. As bad as any one of us feels at any given time, there are so many feeling so much worse. I can't think of one person who has either gone through this or one person going through this who doesn't hurt for others.

It speaks well of us as humans when we suffer more for others than we suffer for ourselves. In truth it's almost impossible for someone untouched by a serious and often terminal disease to comprehend that which a sufferer is going through. Words of sympathy don't cut it. It's the touch, the hug, and the tears that make a difference. Those who have been there know of what I speak. Many here on this board are among those who place others before themselves. I count myself lucky to be aware of your kindness under circumstances so terrible.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Nord,

I am far from a perfect person but I have tempered with age.

All males have rage but it takes a Man to channel it correctly.

I have tried to do charitable and nice things for folks for awhile.

Paying it forward or making up for a tarnished past.

Not because people are watching or because I want recognition - simply because it's the right thing to do.

It makes me feel better.

Does not mean I don't get angry or run my mouth or act the fool still sometimes.

Hearing what Dave and others are going through makes me feel less alone.

I know that many folks here care about those of us experiencing personal hardship.

I also know that as many folks just skip through or don't read these threads because they are not gun related and can certainly harsh someone's buzz.

If I don't have much time left I might as well try to help others who are in similar circumstances.

My girlfriend cries a lot. I wish I could fix that.

Mike